Sager gaming laptop vs msi vs asus rog?

sasquatch182

Limp Gawd
Looking to spend approx $1500 for a gaming laptop.
15" screen to keep the weight down about 5 lbs since this will be carried around for college work too.

I've noticed Sager has some decent specs with a 970m video card.

Any thoughts or recommendations on Sager or MSI or Asus ?

Last month I went with Sager 17" and I bought two of them.

i7 6700HQ, 32 GB ram, 970m with gsync, 256 GB M2 SSD. Added a 2TB Samsung spinner and a 1 TB Samsung SSD that I already had. Was a bit of a pain to have to remove the whole bottom of the laptop to add the other drives in. I have an external Blu Ray burner in a USB 3 case for when I do need to use an optical drive.

I have 32 GB of ram because of virtual machines that I run.

I also have two old 22" monitors than I do use with it when I am at home.

The keyboard is smaller on the Sager 17" laptop than on my old 15" laptop.

With Xotic, you'll get great (in my xp) local-US support. Not sure what you'd get with Amazon.

As for laptop models, just paraphrasing myself from a couple months back:

Here's a summary of the brands/models in your range. I'm going to make the assumption you're looking for power over size since you're already interested in a 17" laptop so am gearing my comments towards enthusiast DTRs over the thinner gaming models.

• Sager/Clevo NP9... - Good price, customization options and cooling; lacklustre design, keyboard and materials. If you're all about power/value and don't care about ascetics, Sager is the way to go.
  • MSI Dominator GT7... - Somewhere between AW and Asus, and Sager as far as build quality and price. Good Steelseries keyboard.
  • Asus G75... - Nice design and build quality; few customization options. Pricier than MSI or Sager.
  • Alienware - Best design and build, but pricier than all others.
I can't comment on Gigabyte or Auros models as I've never owned one.

All in all, I normally go for Sager models as they're easy to modify/open up and priced better than the others, albeit are not as slickly designed.

Back