Safely Remove...Main Hard Drive???!!!

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
In the taskbar where the safely remove hardware icon appears. It is allowing me to stop my Local Disk C drive. I haven't tried it because I'm afraid I'll crash out windows. Why is that showing up? Is there a way to shut that off? I don't want to accidentally click it when clicking to remove my thumb drive.

This my be in the wrong forum, sorry mods.

Welcome to XP and SATA hdds. It's normal. Don't worry about it. If you don't like seeing it, just set it to always hide.

IIRC, Windows'll just freeze on the spot. It's normal, because XP knows that SATA drives are (according to the standard) hot-swappable. It just doesn't really pay attention to which drive is safe, and which isn't.

mavalpha said:
IIRC, Windows'll just freeze on the spot. It's normal, because XP knows that SATA drives are (according to the standard) hot-swappable. It just doesn't really pay attention to which drive is safe, and which isn't.

Actually, it won't let you stop or 'eject' it because it can't close all the files.

That button is there to allow you to stop any USB (plug and play) devices you may have connected to your USB ports, such as a thumb drive, external drive, mp3player, camera, etc.

If you try to stop a thumb drive while aprogram on it is being used or files are being transferred to/from it, you will get a message saying the device cannot be stopped.

I've never tried to stop my SATA HDD's, but I expect you'll get the same message if you try to stop your OS HDD.

ok i just did it and here is the message you receive...

Problem Ejectiing device.

the device "maxtor 6b25050 cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later

Javelin3o4 said:
ok i just did it and here is the message you receive...

Problem Ejectiing device.

the device "maxtor 6b25050 cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later

Thats because the disk is in use. I think if you had 2 disks, one of which was not in use by anything, it could be stopped and ejected.

Now, are they plug and play compatible? Like, if I just plugged in a SATA drive while the PC was running, would it connect?

Or would it cause an error? I would assume it would error because it is an internal drive, but I also think it could work because it seems like you can eject them whenever without issue.

I had this problem when i set up Raid 0.. There is no way around it except a custom made app i saw on the net, that forced it to go away.

DeadlyAura said:
Thats because the disk is in use. I think if you had 2 disks, one of which was not in use by anything, it could be stopped and ejected.

Now, are they plug and play compatible? Like, if I just plugged in a SATA drive while the PC was running, would it connect?

Or would it cause an error? I would assume it would error because it is an internal drive, but I also think it could work because it seems like you can eject them whenever without issue.
I tried this with my system - it just didn't see the hard drive when I plugged it in.

Well, that would mean that it isn't plug and play compatible. Just as I thought.

Well, at least I know I can't accidentally eject it.

DeadlyAura said:

That works fine, you just have to follow the rules: there can't be any open files, and you have to connect the power and data cables at the same time. Three of my CAD workstations have how swappable SATA drives, and they work just fine.

Back