Safe to delete/uninstall this Intel Management crap?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Just want to double check. I got a Dell Latitude E5450 laptop a few days ago, and of course there's some stuff pre-installed. One of which is this "Intel Management and Security" or whatever:

(I'm hovering over the icon in the middle, middle row)

It annoys me when there's random software running (especially automatically whenever I boot) just in case I might need it.
I skimmed over the wiki page as well as this page regarding the Intel Active Management Technology. It sounds fancy and all, but as far as I can tell, the only actually useful thing out of all of that mumbo-jumbo is that it can update my Intel drivers when a new one comes out. However, isn't it true that I can just as well accomplish that with the Intel Driver Update Utility, which I can choose to launch, instead of having it run automatically all the time?

In short, this Intel Management thing is useless, right?

If you remove it you will have a device without a driver. It won't really affect the OS much. You can stop the app from starting up however.

What's the device exactly? This?

Intel AMT is designed into a secondary (service) processor located on the motherboard.

That's the device, right? But then it also says this:

Intel AMT relies on a hardware-based out-of-band (OOB) communication channel[1] that operates below the OS level, the channel is independent of the state of the OS (present, missing, corrupted, down).

In that case, why is a driver even needed? It's supposed to work independently of the OS anyway...

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Disabled it from starting up but didn't uninstall it.

Back