Safe temps for my O/C?

mrwill

Limp Gawd
I have had this computer for a while and just now started to get serious about overclocking. I would like someone to check to see if I am safe using my final settings. My sig shows my current hardware. To check my overclock, I run Intel Burn Test and watch CoreTemp to check temps and Vcore. Is this final setting safe (temps and Vcore)? I listed default for comparison.

CPU=45
Bus=105
4725MHz
Idle=40C
100% during Intel Burn = 80C
Vcore = 1.428v

Default Settings
CPU=38
Bus=100
3800 MHz
Idle = 36C
100% = 55C
Vcore = 1.21v

I use my computer for video editing using Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore, so have heavy use once per week.

First return your BCLK (Base clock or bus) to 100mhz.. increasing your bus will affect the whole system, PCI, HDD, SDD, etc etc so return it to 100mhz and bump the Multiplier to 47 if you want 4.7ghz with that Vcore you can even try 4.8ghz thats what most 3930K tend to require for 4.8ghz.. about the temps, well you are completely safe in the real world usage you will be far away of those temperatures, but I have to ask first few things, what are your room temp at the moment of the test?. and that temp its average maximum load peak? or average load?. also to test overclock stability IBT its insufficient really specially at low stress level and few pass, for IBT i would use maximum stress level with at least 20 passes run, generally i use 25~30 passes.. also you will need to run some 3-4hours of P95 Small FFT test and i recommend if possible Aida64 System stability test if you never crash never get some error in none of those test then you are fine..

I would personally be uncomfortable with 80c with IBT, but it's your chip. In my opinion Prime95 is rather worthless when testing overclocks, I would stick to IBT or Linx.

I think I will settle on 45x100=4500. It runs at 70C when stressed using IBT and uses 1.35v.
That seems to be a bit safer on the chip and I really can't see much performance difference.

Back