"Safe?" overclock and undervolt of a i73970x

Cube

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to start using my old i7 3970x system parts again on my hdtv because pandemic shortages and all that and to be honest it still plays new games good.

, I took off it liquid cooler parts to use on the newer cpu because I found a free air cooler for it with a sucky fan that I will replacing and using better paste I kept it at 4.3ghz for a long time. I decided to bump it up to 4.5ghz

I also want to underclock it to preserve it’s life span longer reduce heat so I have been using bios “offset mode” of 0.040 it seems stable I ran 3 runs of lin x and some prime 95 it passed with out errors

so I get this max voltage 1.320 that is under the max spec of intel spec of 1.35 ( am I measure this correctly because some list only 3 numbers and others do 4 when they measure voltage)

is this long term safe? If I am understanding these offset mode instruction correctly I just lowered it voltage and over clocked it more. It was in manual mode and was set to a constant 1.350 now it drops below that when idle.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclocking-Using-Offset-Mode-for-CPU-Core-Voltage

it hits 85 to 86 in only the most intense workloads like this if I crank the fans up it starts dropping fast but it is loud so I dont keep it that high.

Screenshot_84.jpg

You are chewing through additional heat for the last few mhz that are you are getting. I personally would drop it a few multipliers.

I had a sandy-e and ivy-e.

That said, I'm not sure how much I would care about killing a decade old processor. Good boards are actually harder to find.

i found if i set it to 4.3ghz the max heat it gets to is the same as 4.5ghz... and almost the same as 4ghz at 4ghz with lin x it gets

maybe testing during a record heat weather is not a good idea

Screenshot_87.jpg

Screenshot_89.jpg

Screenshot_90.jpg

A replacement chip will run you about $150, so it's up to you whether or not to let the dog off the leash. For a 32nm chip, I don't think those voltages are particularly risky anyway.

Back