Sadly I am taking a break from gaming

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
Let me start out by saying ever since I was small, playing games has been a part of my life. I remember when I got my first 3D accelerated card, a monster voodoo Rush card with 6MB of memory. Playing Unreal Tournament for the first time in Glide. Doom, Quake, Command and Conquer, Red alert, etc.. This list can go on and on. Sadly today gaming for me is just not the same any more. I feel its just the same old same old with better graphics. Anyways now that I am going on 23, with 1 more quarter left till I receive my BS in Information Management, I think a step back for a few years while I set in motion the next but most important phase in my life. Maybe in a few years when things have settled down I will come back. Who knows. Its just I feel there are more important things to do be doing rather then sitting in the house on the computer. I really enjoying teaching myself PHP and MYSQL, looking to get my CCNA and Network+, I want to start playing sports again on a more regular basis. I guess all in all I need a life style change. I still have my 360 and this will become my source for new games if I feel the need or itch.

Has anyone else felt like this before? Thoughts, opinions, etc.

nonsense, i got my BS in Mechanical Engineering while still finding time to game. i work 40-50 hours a week, hit the gym 5 days a week, and find time for my gf and friends all while still finding time to game. get your priorities straight...less sleep, more gaming. :D

on the flip side of that coin, i can see where you're coming from. all the time spent gaming can certainly be used for more productive things in life. but the way i see it you should spend your time doing what makes you happy. if playing sports makes you more happy than playing games then do it. personally i'm cyclical - i go through periods of gaming a lot and periods of never turning on my comp or PS3.

Yea I can be that way too, but I feel there is a need for me to step away for a period of time. I guess I am just burned out.

(//_o)

Edit: WTF where did my message go?

Personally I have always found time to game. Full time schooling, working two jobs, etc ... you just make time.

I kind of felt the same way for a bit here. I know that I will be busier and I know that there are better things I can spend my time doing. But, I mostly play games to see what the game can do; I rarely beat any of them.

I think that I will game alot less come October, but I will still be here Primarily because Far Cry 2 has got me excited again, GTA IV looks great also. I actually own a copy of GTA IV on PS3, but I can't stand how blurry/choppy it is.

yeah I've been getting that "burned out" feeling myself. I want to play games actually but nothing is holding my attn. sad time for me indeed.

yeah I've been getting that "burned out" feeling myself. I want to play games actually but nothing is holding my attn. sad time for me indeed.
Yup thats how I am feeling. To the other posters, its not that I do not want to game, but nothing holds my attention anymore. Sadly I am even thinking about selling the gaming rig in my sig.

I felt the burn out feeling last year and as a result really only played Oblivion for like seven months until I picked up Dawn of War. Man that game was so good and got me back into gaming. I'm eagerly waiting for the sequel and am awaiting lots of other good games. So many good ones coming this year.

Cant say i ever felt that way because i got married and had kids and that was my time away i guess you could say. I probably would have gotten burned out but the old wife and kids saved me. I did stop ALL pc online gaming and went console only for a short time but now its back to pc along with,PS3,XBOX360 and Wii.

I used to do the heavy Clan gaming, and meeting up with people online everynight. Now though, the past 3-4 years i've slowly dwindled down to nothing. Now I only play with my buddies IRL over xbox live. Havn't done any big tournaments, or clan gaming in quite awhile..

To be fair, my life has changed a bunch...

I still pwn all though ;)

Let me start out by saying ever since I was small, playing games has been a part of my life. I remember when I got my first 3D accelerated card, a monster voodoo Rush card with 6MB of memory. Playing Unreal Tournament for the first time in Glide. Doom, Quake, Command and Conquer, Red alert, etc.. This list can go on and on. Sadly today gaming for me is just not the same any more. I feel its just the same old same old with better graphics. Anyways now that I am going on 23, with 1 more quarter left till I receive my BS in Information Management, I think a step back for a few years while I set in motion the next but most important phase in my life. Maybe in a few years when things have settled down I will come back. Who knows. Its just I feel there are more important things to do be doing rather then sitting in the house on the computer. I really enjoying teaching myself PHP and MYSQL, looking to get my CCNA and Network+, I want to start playing sports again on a more regular basis. I guess all in all I need a life style change. I still have my 360 and this will become my source for new games if I feel the need or itch.

Has anyone else felt like this before? Thoughts, opinions, etc.

I understand. I have been gaming as long and have taken breaks from time to time. It will be good to take time off and concentrate on the things you have on your plate, especially the certs you are going after. It will reward you in a way gaming wouldn't.

As you get older you will not be able to do one thing for very long without becoming bored, usually.

Look at kids, they go apeshit over bubbles. I wish I got as much enjoyment out of anything as they do bubbles.

The trick is moderation, my friend.

As you get older you will not be able to do one thing for very long without becoming bored, usually.

Look at kids, they go apeshit over bubbles. I wish I got as much enjoyment out of anything as they do bubbles.

The trick is moderation, my friend.
Yea, I think the break will do me good. :D

I cant let you do that Dave.
Priceless!!! I'll have to remember to steal that quote for the right moment. ;)

OP: It's called growing up. Things you enjoyed as a teen lost their appeal when you entered college, right? Sadly, we all get older and priorities change. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy gaming for the rest of your life. I'm 15+ years older than you and still go through phases of intense PC gaming from time to time. However, I can't spend 3-4-5+ hours at a time on a game, no matter how great playing it might be. I just have other things to do. Now, so many of today's games are rather uninspiring, so I'm lucky to find a game that captures my attention for more than a few hours. But, it's only a matter of time before a new game comes out that really grabs me and keeps me up late for several nights. Those times mean even more to me as I get older.

Alright, alright... big brother time's over. Go study up and get your degree, get a good job, make a bunch of money... and then spend all of it on a badass, mutha fuckin' gaming PC!!!!

Bah. I've been a gamer all my life, and I don't expect that to change. I remember playing Populous as a kid, playing the original Warcraft and C&C (over modem) with my high school friends, and blowing off steam with some Unreal Tournament while working on my university honours project.

Time spent doing something you enjoy is never wasted.

Then I guess you can go back to using Dells with a weak cpu, low ram, and integrated craphix. Or use a craptop.

Enjoy your new life style. IMO, weak office computers and craptops = epic fail.

Anyways now that I am going on 23, with 1 more quarter left till I receive my BS in Information Management, I think a step back for a few years while I set in motion the next but most important phase in my life.

You'd THINK that wouldn't you. I thought that myself when I graduated. And you know what? After working 8 hours a day, everyday, and putting in consult jobs on the weekened the only thing I want to do when I come home now is Eat, Sleep, and wait for 9PM when I can get on Halo or TF2 with some buddies and shoot some s*. That or go to the bars every once in a while. *Sigh*

Games are the only thing keeping me sane lol.

Im 23 and I work almost 50 hours a week at this small marketing firm. I have a BBA in marketing. I still game and keep up to date with technology. I guess some people have minds like 40+ year olds. There is nothing more enjoyable than getting a few headshots in COD4. Love that.

Honestly, I don't see the point of these " i'm quitting gaming" threads. This is a pretty much a forum for hardcore gamers. We won't miss you.

Im 23 and I work almost 50 hours a week at this small marketing firm. I have a BBA in marketing. I still game and keep up to date with technology. I guess some people have minds like 40+ year olds. There is nothing more enjoyable than getting a few headshots in COD4. Love that.

Honestly, I don't see the point of these " i'm quitting gaming" threads. This is a pretty much a forum for hardcore gamers. We won't miss you.

He said he's taking a break. don't be a dick and LTR.

You're fortunate this hasn't happened to you. I'm going insane trying to find other things to entertain myself. with time it may to you. then you might one day think back upon these words.

Go to bar and meet a girl... then just go away.

Im just sick of these types of threads. Just keep it to yourself if you dont like gaming. Also, bars are a horrible place to pick up girls. Usually those girls are there for a one night stand.

I actually agree. The only beacons of hope that I see are GTA4 and Fallout 3. For now, I guess BF2 and HL2DM are enough.

good for you. Pick another hobby like bodybuilding or mountain biking.

Meet a girl...that likes to game too. I got lucky with my fiance. But she prefers a controller over a kb/m so she plays 360 alot, but that will all change soon.

Looks like you listed FPS and RTS games. Do you play other genres? Expand your horizons with sims, turn based strategy, RPGs, etc...

Im just sick of these types of threads. Just keep it to yourself if you dont like gaming. Also, bars are a horrible place to pick up girls. Usually those girls are there for a one night stand.

it's possible that you could keep your thoughts to yourself too. you also don't have to click these threads if you think you aren't gonna like the contents. quit being a troll.

like I said LTR (learn to read) he didn't say he didn't like games. he didn't say he was quitting. he did say no games were holding his attention and that he was TAKING A BREAK. what part of that sounds like quitting?

Yea I can be that way too, but I feel there is a need for me to step away for a period of time. I guess I am just burned out.
Just curious...

What kind of games did you play?
or rather... what are your favorite types of games?

I worked all throughout college and still found the time to game a ton, and was in a pretty serious RTCW clan at the time...I graduated with an A average out of one of the hardest programs at the college...or so they told us...computer programming

it's easily doable...once you get used to sleeping less...it's awesome

haha

HAHA! Such a classic quote. Love that movie, and yes I'm experiencing the same thing as the OP. I feel that way and it always makes me think of that bubbles quote.

Also, bars are a horrible place to pick up girls. Usually those girls are there for a one night stand.

Thus the basis of their appeal!

But in all reality, I do feel un-entertained and bored with gaming. Gaming hasn't changed much, but unfortunately we do change as adults. I think I got spoiled by WoW and haven't really found anything that piques my interest since.

Looking at getting some certs myself as well as pushing myself in my current job. I've got a job to die for and I love every second of it, so I shouldn't give it up for gaming I guess...

I was going to build myself a fast gaming system ie. sli/crossfire few months ago. I've been gaming for 7+ years and sometimes play for 14 hours a day, But gaming is not as fun as it used to, So... insted I bought myself this ---> http://www.kawasaki.com/PRODUCTS/detail.aspx?id=263&content=photos
I haven't played a game since I got my bike, Though I might try Warhammer online this weekend and see if it will suck me back up on gaming which I highly doubt.

Everyone should take a break once in a while, try something new and enjoy life.

I was going to build myself a fast gaming system ie. sli/crossfire few months ago. I've been gaming for 7+ years and sometimes play for 14 hours a day, But gaming is not as fun as it used to, So... insted I bought myself this ---> http://www.kawasaki.com/PRODUCTS/detail.aspx?id=263&content=photos
I haven't played a game since I got my bike, Though I might try Warhammer online this weekend and see if it will suck me back up on gaming which I highly doubt.

Everyone should take a break once in a while, try something new and enjoy life.

LMAO!!!! that's exactly what I've been doing with my spare time too! I just recently laid it down and was without my right blinker so I was especially bored while I was waiting for my $1000 in parts for a $5500 bike LOL.

I suppose what a lot of this could boil down to is that it's summer. Nice day you see other people out and about doing things. I've been coming to a slow conclusion that gaming is best in teh cold months. the ones you don't want to leave the house you just wanna bundle up and settle down with a good game or what have you. which is perfect if you ride because it's a terrible idea to ride in cold/wet weather. so it make a perfect trade off for the seasons

Back