Sad story....the MCP655 Pump that couldn't...

DogChainX

[H]ard|Gawd
EDIT: Well, thanks to Aiya my water cooling is going to be finished up today....so check those MCP655 pumps for wiring!!!

Well folks, I stand here with this water cooling setup:

LianLi v2000b case
Thermochill PA160 radiator (infamous $100 radiator)
Swiftech Apogee water block
Swiftech MCP655 pump

Well, I get all the water cooling installed, make sure all the barbs are tight, tubing has a good flow, etc. I mix the distilled water with Water Wetter, and pour it all in.

I hook up a power supply, plug in the pump, and hit the power button and......nothing. I fiddle with the potentiometer, and still nothing. I try different molex connectors...still nothing. THE PUMP IS DOA. Sigh....so I drained the system, unhooked the pump and now I wait until next week to complete my monstrosity of a water cooled case.

Think swiftech will overnight me a new pump?? LOL

sorry to hear that its DOA :(

did you check to make sure swiftech didn't send the pump's wires crossed? i read somewhere that they switched them by mistake. i think Petra's was the one to point it out. might want to try that before sending it back. who knows it might be the problem.

I'll give it a go!

edit: IT WORKS! Dumb me, I didn't even think to look to see if it was using the +12v line on the molex! It was only using the +5v line....so they had it Red>Red vs. Red>Yellow.

Thanks, you earn a cookie!

I know how it feels, when you find out DOA ----> Working :D

You just saved yourself the pain of RMA :eek:

Congrats on getting the pump working, but from what I hear Water Wetter is bad stuff and causes problems with the plastics in your loop. There's a thread over on the WizD forums about it.

I ran my pump on +5v for a while. Was a just lucky? Is it necessary to perform the switch to 12V?

Wait a minute, what is this thread talking about? How should the wiring be set up on the molex? Can someone please explain.

4 pin molex's have 4 wires on them. The middle wires are black (ground), then the two outside cables are yellow (+5v) and red (+12v). The problem is that alot of the mcp655 pumps have only 2 wires on their molex and their red cable matches up with your computers' yellow cable meaning that you pump only gets +5v instead of +12. I am probobly going to switch mine now.

Yellow is the 12 volt wire & Red is the 5 volt in a molex.
So the 12v red wire from the pump was attached to the 5v red wire from the PSU in a badly wired one, not the 12v yellow one.

Luck ............ :D

shamgar03 said:
4 pin molex's have 4 wires on them. The middle wires are black (ground), then the two outside cables are yellow (+5v) and red (+12v). The problem is that alot of the mcp655 pumps have only 2 wires on their molex and their red cable matches up with your computers' yellow cable meaning that you pump only gets +5v instead of +12. I am probobly going to switch mine now.
No, don't switch yours. The yellow wire is 12v, and the pump should be wired red to yellow. The red wire on your PSU is 5v, and chances are the pump won't even start on 5 volts.

Back