Sacred Gold (PC) runs very poorly

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
in sacred there are 4 acts and i believe 2 more acts in the underworld (sacred gold has all 6 acts in 1). i'm on act 3 and my eyes hurt so bad from looking at this, but i wanna finish it.

i've ran as admin, windowed mode, 4xAA, vsync, triple buffering, lowest video setting, 1 cpu core, all updated pc drivers, updated game patches, video compatibly mode within game & out of game (ie: winxp, server 2k & win98.) and the ONLY way i've been able to make the game work "mildly" better is run it at it's native res which is 1024x768. oh, and running the game in win98 mode is scary. i don't recommend that one.

i only get an avg of 20 fps and when looking at my stash (random bank boxes) my frames will dip to 10. when running at the games native res the slide show effect isn't as bad (but still running at 20 fps) as it is when i run at MY native res (1920x1200). the game looks pretty good and is fun. i just want it to work better. the only other conclusion i have is that this game just doesn't wanna run on win vista.

any thoughts?

I doubt its a Vista issue as I had some pretty massive frame drops on my play-through on XP in certain areas. Zooming the camera in helped a bit and thats about it.

well, i had diablo 2 & sacred both on my pc for the longest with vista and finally beat both of them. formatted and put windows 7 on for my new years resolution. :p

sacred was fun @ the start, but i quickly tired myself out from doing quests. after reaching lvl 25 all i did was go from main quest to main quest. i stopped doing side quests. the frame rate of this game was terribad and i couldn't take it any longer, but i wanted to beat it. i beat sacred @ lvl 40 and then continued with sacred: underworld and beat it @ lvl 50. formatted... bye bye.

oh, and sacred has 4 acts and underworld has only 1. fyi if any1 is interested.

I just fixed this problem with this advice from the GOG sacred forum

"I was having FPS issues like many of people in this thread, and I tried all of the options listed in th is thread - nothing really worked. Today however I tried something at random because my display didn't come out of compatibility mode when exiting the game at one point:

I opened up the configuration tool to see if there was an option to use Software renderer - didn't remember and, of course, it wasn't there. There was, however, the option to use 32 bit color - I checked that box and then turned off all compatibility settings for sacred.exe (GoG by default puts it into 'Disable Themes'. With no compatibility and the 32 bit color depth box checked I found myself playing smoothly!

I don't know why this worked or if it will work for others, but thought I would share.

NOTE: I have forced AA to 4 in nVidia Control panel and forced VSYNC and Triple Buffering in nVidia Control Panel; Everything I have done combined seems to do the trick."

Back