sabertooth x58 + mushkin 120GB SSD, BSOD, install failure, etc

SHaFT7

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, got a couple of questions. I'm doing a build for a customer that wanted very specific parts, and I'm having some issues.

i7-950
Sabertooth X58 (latest bios as of today)
2x Mushkin 4GB ram
Mushkin 120GB SSD MKNSSDCL120GB-DX
Windows 7 64 Pro
2x GT430's
X-Fi
no overclocking

I've read about the huge problems with the marvell controller, so I just turned it off. Also turned off the ATA controller. Put it all together, put the SATA2 ports in AHCI mode, and fired up Windows 7 install from flash drive. It got 10% into copying files when I got this:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are avaiable, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070002"

At this point, restarting the install w/o reboot yields no drive detected. Ctrl+Alt+Del and rebooting will just hang on SATA Port1 detecting the drive (which it never does.) If I hard reset the system with the reset button, then it IS detected, but the above error still happens. So I figured huh, maybe it's the flash drive. We are a computer store and it gets a lot of use, and these things just go bad randomly. Switched it out with a brand new 7 DVD install. Same thing as before.

Switched out the sata cables for a few others, no change.

I switched out the SSD with the same model, just a different brand new one. This time the install finished, went super fast. Got all drivers installed for mobo, video, sound, etc. just fine. Got around to doing SP1 for windows 7, got about 5 min in, and got this BSOD: 0x000000F4. System rebooted, but I can't reapply SP1, once I start the patch it just sits there "preparing to install" no ram, cpu, or disk usage after the first 15sec. Can't cancel it either, have to do a shutdown and restart to get it to go away.

So, I re-fired up setup again, wiped and started over, figuring I would apply SP1 this go around before doing anything else after install. This install time though, I got the first 0x80070002 error again, the same that I got with the original SSD. So, I doubt we have 2 brand new 120GB SSDs bad, especially since we've been selling the 60GB mushkin model like hotcakes and have had no problems with any of them. Obviously tomorrow I'll test these SSDs on another machine and see if they are ok, but from reading the boards, I'm leaning more and more towards this being a board issue. Anyone have any other suggestions or fixes for me?

Last edited:
Back