sabertooth p67 with g.skill timings issue

ZippZopp

Limp Gawd
I just put a sandy bridge system together with

asus sabertooth p67
16gb g.skill ripjaws x DDR3 1600

the memory timings are advertised as 7-8-7-24. if i set those timings in bios I get some strange things happening. the bios will randomly freeze, windows won't install, memtest throws errors. if i leave the settings at auto, it sets my timings to 9-9-9-28 and things seem to run smoothly, although I still just got it built last night and still need to get windows installed and run some more tests. however, at first glance it seems like the advertised timings aren't quite working out and cause instability right from the start.

so my question is should i just return the ram? I can get 16 gigs of ddr 3 1600 with more relaxed timings for cheaper than what I paid for this g.skill kit. Or have I missed something crucial and that is the reason that I'm having instability with the advertised timings?

turn on the xmp profile, or set optimum in ez setup...see if that works...

Is the voltage set correctly? If its set to Auto, try setting it manually. Not much else you can really do. Timings aren't extremely important imo, but if thats what you bought it for and you can't run it then return it.

I just put a sandy bridge system together with

asus sabertooth p67
16gb g.skill ripjaws x DDR3 1600

the memory timings are advertised as 7-8-7-24. if i set those timings in bios I get some strange things happening. the bios will randomly freeze, windows won't install, memtest throws errors. if i leave the settings at auto, it sets my timings to 9-9-9-28 and things seem to run smoothly, although I still just got it built last night and still need to get windows installed and run some more tests. however, at first glance it seems like the advertised timings aren't quite working out and cause instability right from the start.

so my question is should i just return the ram? I can get 16 gigs of ddr 3 1600 with more relaxed timings for cheaper than what I paid for this g.skill kit. Or have I missed something crucial and that is the reason that I'm having instability with the advertised timings?

Yup....

I had that RAM, sent it back, got the 1333 (see my sig).

I had nothing but problems with the 1600 7-8-7-24 RAM. Nightly freeze-ups, random "Overclock Failed" messages at reboot.

I haven't had a single problem with the 1333.

Also, I did everything under the sun to get the 1600 to work... I adjusted the VCCIO voltage, DRAM voltage... removing DIMMS.... EVERYTHING, wouldn't work. G Skill says it is supposed to work with the P67 chipset, but it doesn't seem like it does.

I've seen other with the same RAM who have multiple issues.

Get the 1333, it's awesome. There really isn't much difference between 1600 8 CAS and 1333 7 CAS, I can increase the clock speed slightly without an issue on the 1333.... you can't lower the timings on the 1600 while running at 1600.

1333 CAS 7 nano seconds = [7/(1333/2)]x1000 = 10.5 nano seconds
1600 CAS 8 nano seconds = [8/(1600/2)]x1000 = 10 nano seconds

So the 1600 CAS 8 is .5 nano seconds faster. I'd rather have the tighter timings and increase my BCLK slightly, than have the 1600 and not be able to drop my timings. Not to mention the 1600 is probably closer to 1.6v where the 1333 runs at 1.5v. There's more OC headroom on the 1333 from a voltage perspective.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, especially adam. that was quite helpful and i feel much better now knowing that you had a similar experience because I was going a little bit crazy with the ram last night :)

i think i'll return it and get a different kit

The ONLY difference you will notice with different ram timings would be in a couple of benchmarks. Other than that, pretty pointless.

I have this exact ram in question and have never had an issue. From the very first power on and post the ram has ran great. I run at the advertised 1600 7-8-7-24 1.6v and prime95 blend passed 9h 26m before I manually stopped it. I am very sorry to hear that this ram is not working out for you in the same manner, but it isn't fair to write it off as being completely bad for everyone, as I am living proof it can work quite well.

I'm with cantankerous on this one. :p

I've had my P67 system running for about a week now. The only issue I've found thus far has been the hibernate/sleep issue. I ended up turning the thing off so it's not really a big deal for me. Other than that I absolutely love the whole setup. I haven't tried any overclocking yet so I have no idea whether there'll be issues once I start.

Setup:

i7 2600K
NH-D14 cooler
Sabertooth P67
G.Skill Ripjaws X 7-8-7-24 1.6v
Antec HCP-1200
X25-M 80
WD 1TB Black
2x Sony DVD/RW
Thermaltake Mozart TX case
Video card is crap and will be upgraded shortly.

I set the mem to XMP and it is running at advertised specs.

Back