Sabertooth P67 - Anyone buying?

Discussion in 'Intel MoBos' started by loki7, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dark Shroud

Dark Shroud Limp Gawd

That's what kept me from getting it, I could understand $200+ if it was x68 or whatever LGA 2011 is called. But paying that much for P67 is a bit much.

2. Croak

Croak [H]ard|Gawd

Isn't it basically a Pro with a dye job and plastic bits?

3. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

Yes it is. :D
    Besides the BT, TPU, BIOS functions, motherboard headers, slots, CAPS and other differences, its basically a PRO with a dye job (or nothing more then a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 with a paint job if to give it the same slack). :D
    Pro:
    [​IMG]
    Sabertooth:
    [​IMG]
    Both cards have 4 memory slots. Its almost scary how similar they are. Nearly twins... besides the paint job and plastic cover...

I joke :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. EnderW

EnderW [H]ardForum Junkie

my favorite thing about this board is all the temperature monitoring probes it has built in

5. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

That was mine too! :)

[​IMG]

According to the video from Guru3D of the bios, the motherboard is finally capable of delivering low RPM's like 600RPM. Its my hope that this motherboard will deliver a temp controlled solution for quiet computing where it will increase fan speed upon need.

6. MorgothPl

MorgothPl 2[H]4U

And what about CMOS battery? If it goes down, or if I need to take it off, because from some reason CMOS reset swith goes bad.... how do I get to the battery in this? ;)

7. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

Since you have to ask, my first instinct would be to recommend you to use a computer repair shop for troubleshooting and if the reset switch have gone bad under warranty, RMA it. ;) LOL!

Otherwise, it comes off:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fl7IVKkPt8&t=450

Official ASUS Sabertooth P67 Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgvz02j2rs

Check out the 12 heat sensors and fan control!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. chrcoluk

chrcoluk [H]ard|Gawd

that cover is just going to make installation a pain and i can forsee many removing it, it looks way too tight around the psu power connector.

9. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

What is the cover making harder to install that would be easier without the cover? :confused: What could I possibly want to install on this MB that would make me go to the step of removing the whole cover to install it?
    PSU connector have space enough for any standard ATX PSU and don't need more space. What do you need more space for?:

[​IMG]

10. Borocay

Borocay Limp Gawd

I was thinking the same thing. It does look tight around the psu power connector and cpu socket areas. I'm sure it is workable but I foresee some pinched fingers and use of profane words by the installer.

11. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing:
    ATX Power connector:
    [​IMG]

Why would anyone have problems connecting this plug on an ASUS Sabertooth P67 (provided that they are not trying to do it with oven mitts on)?

Sabertooth with especially the cover (6:30) and other Asus MB explained here and also which type of board for which consumer group:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoL6SQsZ3qY

Another review and a pictorial:
    http://www.vortez.co.uk/articles_pages/asus_sabertooth_p67_motherboard_review,1.html
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-sabertooth-p67-the-tuf-pictorial/10647-1.html

Looks better and better. I might go for this MB :)

Thermal radar being the major selling point!:
    http://www.vortez.co.uk/articles_pages/asus_sabertooth_p67_motherboard_review,5.html

Asus must have some faith in this motherboard, since it gives it TUF 5 Year Warranty!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  12. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

Double post

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  13. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

14. Sludacris7

Sludacris7 n00b

I am very disappointed that Asus is making people pay ~$40 for the cool tuf gear. It has less features than the pro. I am nowhere close to as knowledgeable as most people on this board. But this is my 4th build and I have gained alot of knowledge about price/performance. I will never team-lan (atleast in the next couple of years), 16x/16x is worthless unless you are running three screens (if my under armor stock comes back...sigh), and spend all your money on mountain mod case and PSU. I could have saved alot of money not buying a dfi lanparty UT nf4 SLI-D4... That was my first build. I had no idea how to overclock.

Thats a long, dumb story, but it was actually here to help the people who are on their first build.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  15. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

Asus is not making you pay anything. There's a lot of choices for everyone. The Sabertooth is meant for people who want quality components and extended fan control. If you want something cheap and don't need much, they have alternatives:

ASUS P8P67-M
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=hcyfdEpZcMvFkTNm
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3131688&cm_re=asus_p67-_-13-131-688-_-Product

This one is $55 less then the PRO ($90 less then the Sabertooth) and it also has auto-tuning for those that don't know how to overclock.

You don't get the quality components and 5 years warranty that TUF gives, but you don't have to pay for it either. :D

16. Paragon54

Paragon54 Limp Gawd

I am very disappointed in the review from GURU 3D! The reviewer had the opportunity to expound on the cooling benefits of the thermal armour by testing it with both a down draft cooler and an upright cooler and comparing the radar readings. At the very least he could have the 50mm or 70mm (there's a discrepancy on which it is) optional cooling fan and showed readings with and without. Maybe the next review of this board will include more than information supplied by ASUS and a few benchmarks.

17. dvast8n

dvast8n Limp Gawd

I would've loved to have the Sabertooth. To bad it wasn't available at release. I would have bought it vs the Pro. If I ever did a military type theme build, this would be the board I would choose.

18. JohnleMVP

JohnleMVP [H]ardness Supreme

So the manual recommends using a 50mm fan in the slot above the first full length PCIe slot if you aren't using a HSF that blows down. Is anyone actually doing this?

19. Archangel7

Archangel7 n00b

Yes, and it helps. Idle temps pretty much remained he same, but there was a 1 to 4 degree difference load, on certain sensors.

20. AthlonXP

AthlonXP [H]ard as it Gets

which fan did you use by chance??

21. skizzled

skizzled [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, I definitely like the style and the extra bit of warranty is a plus.