s939 Opteron OC Questions

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planning on a new single-cpu build purely for CPU OCing and I'm stuck between dothans and s939 opterons. I have a few questions:

Do the opterons have the cold bug? (will be doing a few runs with ln2)
Does the week of production matter (much)?
and finally, do all the different models (140,142,144 etc) OC the same (ie if 142 OCs by around 50% will the 150 OC by around 50%)?

Any answers are appreciated, thanks.

1. no
2. luck of the draw, some stepping+weeks are known to oc better though (CABNE 0530, CABYE 0540, etc)
3. again, luck.. they do seem to be pretty similar though

Do the opterons have the cold bug? (will be doing a few runs with ln2)

As far as I've seen, some Opterons have a cold bug and some don't. There doesn't seem to be any logical pattern to this.

do all the different models (140,142,144 etc) OC the same (ie if 142 OCs by around 50% will the 150 OC by around 50%)?

No they do not. The amount they overclock seems to be more stepping dependant.
Does the week of production matter (much)?

I don't know all the weeks, but 0546 and I believe 0530's overclock very well. I have a week CAB2E 0546 FPAW (146 Opty) that can run 2900mhz on stock voltage! :)

PCBliss...I was thinking of the early S939 Opterons that came out. I could have the stepping wrong. They were the chips that appeared to be FX's and just remarked as Opterons. Correct me if I'm wrong.

freeloader1969 said:
PCBliss...I was thinking of the early S939 Opterons that came out. I could have the stepping wrong. They were the chips that appeared to be FX's and just remarked as Opterons. Correct me if I'm wrong.
CABGE was the worst of all of them, rarely doing over 2.6-2.7ghz ;)

it varies a lot these days. traditionally it was CABNE = CABYE >= CAB2E > CABGE with specific weeks of each being better. i haven't really kept track since week 40, so i'm not the best person to ask anymore :( :p

bah then I guess it seems as though it's mostly luck of the draw. However I still wonder... lets say two CPUs were same stepping and same week but were different models (ie 150 and 146) would they OC the same %? The reason I ask this is because everywhere I look on hardforum or XS everyone seems to be OCing the 146s whereas I wanna try with a 150.

Same week/stepping seems to overclock the same regardless of the model number.

Back