s939 mATX with onboard TV Out header and bracket

Firelord

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
414
Hi guys,

Got a Opty 146 sitting around here doing nothing so may upgrade my HTPC system with it and retire my s754 Athlon 64 3000+ AGP system.

Looking to cheap as possible and with minimal components so looking for a motherboard with onboard TV Out and bracket included. Needs to support a composite out as well as my TV is composite only. Currently running an ATi 9200SE with DSub, SVid and RCA so looking for similar.

Is the DFI RS482 a good choice or would the ECS RS482M be a better choice as cheaper? Does the Foxconn 6150K8MA-8RS come with the header?

Needs 4 SATA ports too btw.

Cheers
 

Firelord

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
414
bracket, onboard doesn't matter as long as its integrated. What does this board have for TV Out?
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670

That connects to a breakout box that has component out and svideo out onboard. If you can find it the best s939 6150 mobo was made by MSI.
 

[LYL]Homer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
4,211
I did the same exact thing 2 months ago replacing my s754/3000 setup. I went with the 939 MSI 6150 base K8NGM2-FID and a 4200+ X2. I haven't seen the FID version around for a bit xcept on eBay. The K8NGM2-NBP version is around on Newegg but it doens't have the composite header since it's aimed at business users.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130540
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8NGM2-NBP&class=mb

p.s. Having built a DFI RS482 setup for work also, I'd still suggest the MSI over it.
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
Don't bother with the NBP, it's not the same board as the FID (which is why it requires different drivers) and is slighly crippled.
 

zpackrat

Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
810
CrimandEvil said:

That connects to a breakout box that has component out and svideo out onboard. If you can find it the best s939 6150 mobo was made by MSI.
Yes the MSI FID, I ordered the last one I could find last night from Amazon, 93 bucks shipped. I little more expensive than some of the others. But with this stellar reviews I had to do it, HTPC here I come.
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
zpackrat said:
Yes the MSI FID, I ordered the last one I could find last night from Amazon, 93 bucks shipped. I little more expensive than some of the others. But with this stellar reviews I had to do it, HTPC here I come.
Becareful Amazon has been shipping out NBPs instead of FIDs even though it was marked as an FID.
 

zpackrat

Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
810
CrimandEvil said:
Becareful Amazon has been shipping out NBPs instead of FIDs even though it was marked as an FID.
I sure hope I don't wind up with a NBP and wind up having to return it
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
The last four people I saw go for it all got NBPs so I'm pretty sure you will too. One guy even complained that it wasn't the FID like the site says it was and returned it only to get another NBP as the replacement.
 

zpackrat

Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
810
CrimandEvil said:
The last four people I saw go for it all got NBPs so I'm pretty sure you will too. One guy even complained that it wasn't the FID like the site says it was and returned it only to get another NBP as the replacement.
Yeh I did some research last night and found the htpc forum where this was discussed. this is not looking to good
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
sleepeeg3 said:
Why don't you keep the 9200SE? 2D would be better.
Not really. Maybe if all you're going is overlay playback then yeah the 9200SE would be better (if you ignored it's crappy TV out quality) but if you are using something like VMR9 then the 6150 is the clear winner.
 

Firelord

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
414
I don't want to stick with the 9200SE cos that would mean having to source a mATX AGP 939 board which I don't want to have to do. It also means another card in the system which I don't want.

I could grab a asus via based board a PCI-E card for price of some of these boards. That giga-byte board will it deal with composite out? Will the Foxconn allow tv-out with an s-video composite out adapter?
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
Firelord said:
I could grab a asus via based board a PCI-E card for price of some of these boards. That giga-byte board will it deal with composite out? Will the Foxconn allow tv-out with an s-video composite out adapter?
Yes they'll work with a composite adapter (although you might want to get one of those RF modulator things that lets you use svideo and composite inputs) and no you don't want to go with a VIA mobo. They have certain issues when used as a PVR, like not being compatible with certain HTPC oriented hardware.
 

Firelord

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
414
Thanks for the heads up :) will see what I can grab in the UK still as 939 hardware is becoming rrrraaarrrreeee!
 

zpackrat

Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
810
As expected, Amazon shipped the wrong board. Good thing I ordered one for NCIX and it's on the way.
 
Top