S939: Athlon X2 vs. Opteron

Wich0

Limp Gawd
Ok help me decide please. I wanna upgrade my 3000+ venice to either x2 3800+/4200+ or to opteron 165/170. Both are about the same price now. Which one is the nicer deal? Is the opteron better ?

If you overclock it seems the opteron would be the way to go. If you don't, the extra cache in the opterons probably won't overcome the 200mhz clockspeed difference (except for in a a few applications).

DryFire said:
If you overclock it seems the opteron would be the way to go. If you don't, the extra cache in the opterons probably won't overcome the 200mhz clockspeed difference (except for in a a few applications).

I would definitely OC a bit. I've had my 3000+ running at 2.2ghz for over 8 months now. Would an XP-90 be enough cooling for the opteron?

If you're only going to OC by 200mhz it doesn't make a bit of difference other than cache size as to what you get.

The newer X2's and Opterons seem to overclock nicely. My X2 3800+ (2 weeks old from newegg) runs 2.7Ghz @ 1.4v. I haven't pushed it any farther though. I see that a lot of Opterons can hit 3Ghz on water. For all I know, my X2 may do that with more voltage and water...but I don't have water and 2.7 works for me ;)

And yes, an XP-90 is good enough to cool either. It's not the best, but mine got me to 2.7Ghz running dual prime's at a load temp of 46c.

I believe the multipliers are

165 9x
170 10x
175 11x

Makes for easier overclocking (imo) with the 11x. But your original question, I would get whatever you got a better deal on. Same deal? I would go with the opteron, but I am biased.

nst6563 said:
And yes, an XP-90 is good enough to cool either. It's not the best, but mine got me to 2.7Ghz running dual prime's at a load temp of 46c.

It might not be the best but it's one of the best. IIRC it won the [H] heatsink shootout a few months ago. And yeah it keeps my prime loaded temps to around 45-46 too.
:cool:

yeah...don't get me wrong...I love my XP-90, i have 3 of them actually...but when i saw the SI-128...I think I found a new love :D

someday...I may actually get one. I'm just too cheap to get one now at $50 since I only paid $25 a piece for my XP-90's :p

Keep in mind the stock HSF that comes with the opterons is usually a nice little heatpipe thing. I've been using it and it seems to cool just fine. Granted i'm only running my [email protected] but that's with all default voltages/cooling. And this was right after installing everything. I expect to push it a little more once I get some time to set down with it.

i have had both before.. i think that you'll like the opteron better... i liked it soo much that ive already bought me the opteron 1210 am2 processor... performances seems alot better and quicker on opt series

Back