S4 Mini - An ULTRA-SFF Chassis shipping this December!

BTW, did you get rid of that angled cut on the thick aluminum front where the side panels extend forward?

upload_2016-8-24_12-35-15.png

Should I go ahead and send you an email to get on a waiting list or something with a note about the silver coloring?

I would definitely send me an email if you want on the waiting list. I get alot of emails each day and its filling up!

I absolutely love the videos on youtube NFC. Glad to have you here!
Also that all brushed aluminum look you linked up a couple posts above is killer. I love it.

Reactions: NFC
like this
Is this stable enough to leave standing vertically? Are there any feet that are recommended?

Just curious... Is anyone selling their chassis? Looking to buy one!

Is this stable enough to leave standing vertically? Are there any feet that are recommended?

1. The S4 Mini is absolutely stable enough to stand vertically in either orientation--although the brushed aluminum side down is the most stable as the edges are totally flat. This video was a private video for a customer so the quality is bad, but it shows how stable it is. Keep in mind I am a LAN gamer and provided LAN tables are awful, so stability was a primary consideration for me. xD

2. There are some really cool ideas in this thread actually about feet for the horizontal position--including some suggestions including magnets. For stick-on rubber feet I bought these and really like them. They are the perfect height and look nice.

Thanks for the questions!

Pre-order form for the next run is going out soon! You on the email list?

Interested in this email list for the next run.

Are you planning on offering the case in any additional colors?

Yay!!!! First organic 'Mini sighting in the wild?

Thanks for sharing...made my day :D

Pre-order form for the next run is going out soon! You on the email list?

Yup! I'm 8 on the list. I've been waiting since July :)

like this
Are you planning on offering the case in any additional colors?

There will be precious few powdercoated S4 Mini's available. I plan to keep on doing custom paintjobs, but at a slower rate. These will pop up like rare pokemon from time to time. I committed to Brushed Silver (and anodized) as well as black though--it will be a little more as I couldn't order alot of them, but there will be two color choices out the gate.

Yup! I'm 8 on the list. I've been waiting since July :)

5172847fbb49535e849f907e458b00072cc6ae78f07e6eba6368535af487d4bd.jpg

The pre-order mailing list will come out to people on the waiting list in small waves--if you have been waiting that long you will be in the first or second wave.

If you are in the first wave you will have the opportunity to purchase an in-stock powdercoated S4 Mini.
These will be more expensive than the ones coming from the main run--but they are also rare, premium, and..well, in stock!

If you want to pay the base price then you can order the anodized S4 Mini and they will be delivered later (but not a nebulous date like it has been...) and the chance for the next person to get a powdercoated mini will move down.

This is the best way I can think of and it seems that friends on another forum like the idea. I'm open to suggestions before I screw it up--I want to be fair as possible. :D

Last edited:
So I've been out of the SFF scene for a bit... Is it correct to say there still isn't a 1070 that would fit in the S4 Mini? I really want to make a tiny little powerhouse but I think I'm still playing the waiting game. At risk of suggesting something sacrilegious, if another production run is around the corner is there the possibility to make a slightly thicker chassis to accommodate the Gigabyte Mini 1070?

The Gigabyte 1070 Mini will fit in the S4 Mini, although some modification of the power adapter is necessary. Also I am pretty sure Josh had to widen the chassis once from his original design and it is unlikely that there will be any further design changes of this sort.

Here is a link showing the gtx 1070 fitted in the S4 Mini. Unfortunately I have no information about exactly what kind of mod is needed. Apparently the case itself does not need to be modified at all.

Great case, I finally got around to setting my build up. It's a very tight fit, but that's to be expected given the ~4 liter size.

I have:
- Intel Core i5 6600T
- Geforce 1060 6GB
- Gigabyte Z170N WiFi
- 16GB DDR4 3200
- HDPlex 250
- Windows 10 (Anniversary Update 1607)

The only problem is that I get random blue screens, and random hard resets (i.e. no blue screen or error). Sometimes in the middle of games, and sometimes Windows sitting idle on the desktop.

I've run Memtest with no problems. IntelBurnTest gives an error, but I find it strange given I have not overclocked the CPU. There have been some blue screens related to NVidia drivers, so I can't tell which is causing the problem. Any ideas? I suspect it may be the HDPlex or the riser card, but don't really know how to test.

Great case, I finally got around to setting my build up. It's a very tight fit, but that's to be expected given the ~4 liter size.

I have:
- Intel Core i5 6600T
- Geforce 1060 6GB
- Gigabyte Z170N WiFi
- 16GB DDR4 3200
- HDPlex 250
- Windows 10 (Anniversary Update 1607)

The only problem is that I get random blue screens, and random hard resets (i.e. no blue screen or error). Sometimes in the middle of games, and sometimes Windows sitting idle on the desktop.

I've run Memtest with no problems. IntelBurnTest gives an error, but I find it strange given I have not overclocked the CPU. There have been some blue screens related to NVidia drivers, so I can't tell which is causing the problem. Any ideas? I suspect it may be the HDPlex or the riser card, but don't really know how to test.

Yes, try a different power adapter if you have one. What kind of power brick are you using?

Yes, try a different power adapter if you have one. What kind of power brick are you using?

I'm using the Dell 330 watt power brick.

I believe the motherboard was the problem, as I RMAed it and the problems have gone away (for now). Very strange issue.

I'm using the Dell 330 watt power brick.

I believe the motherboard was the problem, as I RMAed it and the problems have gone away (for now). Very strange issue.

/computers

:(

Glad you got it worked out though!

Here is a link showing the gtx 1070 fitted in the S4 Mini. Unfortunately I have no information about exactly what kind of mod is needed. Apparently the case itself does not need to be modified at all.

Yup, there are three methods so far and they really aren't bad at all.

But I have put two 1070s in a mini myself at this point. I will end with saying that I would consider this if you are an advanced user, as it isn't a easy build, but then again neither are some of the Silverstone SUGO chassis. Peace!

The Gigabyte 1070 mini needed a mod in the HD-PLEX power connector to fit properly. One of the screw tabs had to be removed. But it still holds in well with just the other screw.

So I understand the gigabyte itx 1070 requires modding to fit because it is too wide, but what about the zotac itx 1070? Is it too long?

The Gigabyte 1070 mini needed a mod in the HD-PLEX power connector to fit properly. One of the screw tabs had to be removed. But it still holds in well with just the other screw.
So I understand the gigabyte itx 1070 requires modding to fit because it is too wide, but what about the zotac itx 1070? Is it too long?

The Zotac looks too long. The Gigabyte card is actually fairly easy to install. Current methods are (as stated) to mod the jack (two different ways, I like the "notch" method by loc125 best). Or use a pair of dikes and cut a cross out in the vent in the back. Super easy, requires no practice or talent, and it fits pretty cleanly.

Z2Bpfwo.jpg

I have no problem admitting I was wrong about the Gigabyte 1070. It looked impossible because from all the pictures the width was going to make it incompatible due to the 8-pin connector. But they recesses it enough in the PCB where it installs in the Mini easily--you just need to mod the connector. I think this is actually even better than the Asus 970.

I'm going to post the correction soon in various locations.

Finally, if you want something PLUG AND PLAY then the 1060 is still the best bet. Destroys the 970 on my testbench in power consumption and handily beats it in performance to boot--all while being way cheaper!

I received several emails asking me if this was the new S4 Mini design. It's actually the same design--this is what the S4 Mini looks like without the removeable wrap-around 5mm bezel. I just put some perforated plate in there (you could use mesh) and an acrylic badge.

I received several emails asking me if this was the new S4 Mini design. It's actually the same design--this is what the S4 Mini looks like without the removeable wrap-around 5mm bezel. I just put some perforated plate in there (you could use mesh) and an acrylic badge.

That looks incredible! I love the Al front piece, but Hesitate do keep it on because it looks so good. Pretty sure this is what I'm going with my S4 once I get my Nano dialed in.

I admire you for keepin' on your Nano. I think it is a super fun card to tune because its a beastly performer but is more sensitive than salt on raw.

I eventually sold mine to pay bills but I had it working for most my games. Mechwarrior Online had some weird artifacting with AA forced on but with some changes that ran good too. I wonder why AMD never updated its VBIOS (or if they did I missed it?) I feel like the card would work great with some minor changes on their end. It's not like the 480 replaces it...

On my bench for AMD its the closely the Fury Nitro, FuryX, Nano, and then a little further behind 390 Nitro, then 480...

It's a good card, and I haven't really done much with it yet. Eventually I'll try and tune it down a bit on the power draw, but lately I've been having more trouble with other components in my build. Just had an SSD completely die on me so I had to reinstall on my former dedicated game drive. Kind of a bummer, but that's the game we play.

Are there plans for a revised S4 or S5 mini?

The next batch has some revisions, but nothing major:

1. Lock Slot
2. Easier removal of wrap-around bezel
3. DC-Jack increase in compatibility (no more HDPLEX mod)
4. Anodized finish available in black on black or silver on black.

1. Lock Slot

How soon with this new batch be available? Can't wait to get one :)

Well, I bit the bullet and decided to part ways with my Nano. As much as I like the card, it was tempermental even in my SG05 with a higher wattage PSU. I did run some testing with t he HDPlex and while it definitely worked (even at 100% power limit!) the HDPlex complained... loudly. I'm moving on to a GTX 1060 SC from EVGA and sending the Nano to another good home out West.
Now I just need to track down my L9i...

like this
How soon with this new batch be available? Can't wait to get one :)

Sorry for my late response, been busy preparing!

If you haven't emailed me and got on the waitlist, please do. I don't think I will have leftovers to put up on my website. I might, but I can't promise.

To more directly answer your question, they will be shipping late November.

PEACE

Hey guys, I figured I'd post up about the Cryorig C7 since I don't think anyone else has. It just barely doesn't fit. The top part sort of fits with the side panel on, but only with that one panel in place. If you install the other half (the L/7 shaped part, it presses the panel into place, thus squishing the fan down enough to cause it to not spin. The tolerances on this case are every bit as precise as advertised. The C7 is a fraction of a mm too tall. On top of that, the mounting screws are too long by about 1 or 2 mm. Looks like I'm going back to the L9i afterall!

1. Lock Slot

This sounds exciting. Do you have a date for this? The 1050 Ti is finally here and seems like a fantastic fit (65W CPU, 75W GPU).

Back