S27A950D or Dell U2713HM

nikostr8

n00b
im new on this fantastic forum :)

first of all , sorry for my bad english , im spanish :)

Well , my question is ... a samsung s27a950d ( 120hz / 3D / 27"/ 1080p ), that i can buy for 375€ includes the 3D glasses ......or Dell u2713hm( 27" / IPS / 1440p) for 545€ ... i will play WoW and Assassins creed saga and maybe another game ...

what do you think about that monitor ? which you prefer for this games ? :)

my GPU: sapphire radeon 7950 dual-x

thx :D

im new on this fantastic forum :)

first of all , sorry for my bad english , im spanish :)

Well , my question is ... a samsung s27a950d ( 120hz / 3D / 27"/ 1080p ), that i can buy for 375€ includes the 3D glasses ......or Dell u2713hm( 27" / IPS / 1440p) for 545€ ... i will play WoW and Assassins creed saga and maybe another game ...

what do you think about that monitor ? which you prefer for this games ? :)

my GPU: sapphire radeon 7950 dual-x

thx :D

for me i wouldnt even buy a 24 inch monitor at 1080p. I think it looks terrible.

27inches at 1080p to me would not be very good looking. I like the Dell panels and i almost always suggest them do to their overall high quality and excellent warranty.

you cant go wrong with 1440p at 27inches

ASUS PB278Q is a better monitor than the U2713HM with fewer pronounced issues the U2713HM suffers with like backlight bleed and to me the S27A950D isn't even a real competitor due to the 1080p resolution and TN panel. I went with the ASUS PB278Q when it was released after returning an S27B970D and previously using an S27A950D over the summer and am much happier with my purchase.

Depends on what you're primarily using the monitor for. If it's mostly gaming, I'd say the Samsung s27A950D wins without a doubt.

I say this because IMO, for gaming, 120hz trumps high resolution. I gamed on a 30" HP Zr30w (1600p res!) for a long time and it was certainly nice. That being said, as I mostly play RPG and FPS games, I was simply blown away by the clarity in movement afforded by my S27A750D! The ZR30w just sat there gathering dust because the Sammy was so amazing.

Last edited:
Depends on what you're primarily using the monitor for. If it's mostly gaming, I'd say the Samsung s27A950D wins without a doubt.

I say this because IMO, for gaming, 120hz trumps high resolution. I gamed on a 30" HP Zr30w (1600p res!) for a long time and it was certainly nice. That being said, as I mostly play RPG and FPS games, I was simply blown away by the clarity in movement afforded by my S27A750D! The ZR30w just sat there gathering dust because the Sammy was so amazing.

Agree with this. I had an XHD3000 and the new 27" SA27950D 120hz beats out 2560 res every single time. Higher fps just makes everything so smoooooth.

I do not understand gamers' mentality at all when it comes to this topic. If you want 120hz, then keep the monitor size lower than 27". Do you do nothing but game? 27"+ at 1080 or 1200p looks atrocious for normal use.

I do not understand gamers' mentality at all when it comes to this topic. If you want 120hz, then keep the monitor size lower than 27". Do you do nothing but game? 27"+ at 1080 or 1200p looks atrocious for normal use.

24" is too small for me. I don't sit really close to my monitor.

120hz is mandatory as 60hz monitors in general are fuzzy crap while gaming.

1200p or 1440p @120hz would require crossfire or SLI which I try to avoid because of the microstutter. It irritates me to no end.

The 120hz Korean monitors seemed like they would be ok but I'm not willing to pay some crazy premium for it when I only spent $392 on my Samsung.

That's about it. Kinda tired so hope that's coherent enough. :)

I was too in "120hz trumps IPS"... but then I got proper 8-bit IPS screen, and I clearly prefer colors to smoothness. Also, for 120hz gaming you need cards that will give you as close to 120 FPS as you can, and that might force you to get another 7950, and we all know how good AMD X-Fire drivers are ;)

I'd never get rid of my FS2333 over any 120hz and I tried both 27" - with Sammy S27a950 and iiyama G27 and 23" with Sammy S23a700. After running a proper IPS screen, properly calibrated there is no turning back for me to TN, even 120hz :)

I have no problems with the higher dot pitch of the 27" at 1080p. I just make sure AA is set to at least 4x and I don't notice the pixels on the Samsung unless I am very close.

Even being TN panels and 1080p, these Samsungs deliver picture quality that is superb. No anti-glare matte finish, in the dark, the vibrant colors and glossy screen bring pictures and fast moving games to life! You will want to use these in a room with little to no ambient light. It is worth it believe me.

Last edited:
The 750D has better black levels and less back-light bleeding issues due to the better bezel.

The 750D has better black levels and less back-light bleeding issues due to the better bezel.

so you recommend th s27a750d for 120hz gaming ? :) , are there issues with DP connection whit that monitor ?

:)

The 750D is the best glossy 120hz display.

It has the DP connections issues mainly with Nvidia GPU's as far as I know...this is something you should google if it concerns you

I was too in "120hz trumps IPS"... but then I got proper 8-bit IPS screen, and I clearly prefer colors to smoothness. Also, for 120hz gaming you need cards that will give you as close to 120 FPS as you can, and that might force you to get another 7950, and we all know how good AMD X-Fire drivers are ;)

I'd never get rid of my FS2333 over any 120hz and I tried both 27" - with Sammy S27a950 and iiyama G27 and 23" with Sammy S23a700. After running a proper IPS screen, properly calibrated there is no turning back for me to TN, even 120hz :)

I agree with you on the drivers thing. My nephew has a 670 and the new ASUS 120hz 27" and it looks like dog poop compared to my Samsung though. I told him that he might want to consider getting a calibration tool but he's just too depressed because his monitor doesn't look as nice as mine straight out of the box. After seeing what I thought was the cream of the crop for Nvidia 3D solutions, I'm glad I got this 7950. Whenever the next generation of cards come out I'll probably grab the biggest one this time so I can dodge running multiple cards again.

I think the biggest difference between the two is actually glossy vs matte. If you like glossy get the 27a750. If you like matte get the u2713hm. If you just want someone to pick one for you get the 27a750 who knows when they'll make another 27" 120hz glossy screen. They'll make a new 23" matte ips every year.

The 750D is the best glossy 120hz display.

It has the DP connections issues mainly with Nvidia GPU's as far as I know...this is something you should google if it concerns you

Actually i've been reading forums about it and it seems that the provided DP cable is the problem. Buying a new quality one solved many many peoples problems.

Back