S-Voice vs Siri: FIGHT!

Siri is garbage. I crack up every time my girlfriend yells "Shut up Siri" lol. Android voice recognition is heads and shoulders above what Apple is offering right now IMO.

From what I've read the S-Voice feature is the one thing on the GS3 that isn't "quite there yet". Still, nice to see competition and improving technology in this field (voice recognition).

I just hope that they try to perfect it and continue to work on it and update it. Most people I know with Siri dont use it anyway. I too would like to see a video of all the big voice command services. Google Voice Commands, Iris, Vlingo, Siri, S Voice and any others. I think it would be interesting to see the differences

Siri is trash. I sold my iPhone 4S because most of the time it wouldn't understand me. When it worked, it was a novelty, at best. Samsung's speech to text seems to work quite well. I'm getting an SG3 so I'll test it out and report back.

The whole siri thing makes no sense whatsoever. Android voice recognition is excellent already (though it can always be better), they just made the mistake of not branding it something ridiculous and giving it a crappy TTS playback mode. As always with Apple, its all in the branding.

Actually Ive noticed lately that SIRI has gotten much better. Its faster and gets it right more often. Also, I tried out iOS6 and Siri is amazing with how much more stuff it can do. I use siri every day, couldn't do without. I think more people use it then the general opinion of "hardly ever" was formed within 2 weeks of launched, and parroted around as if its still the case.

They're both garbage but siri is less garbage.

Have you ever even used Siri?

Actually Ive noticed lately that SIRI has gotten much better. Its faster and gets it right more often. Also, I tried out iOS6 and Siri is amazing with how much more stuff it can do. I use siri every day, couldn't do without. I think more people use it then the general opinion of "hardly ever" was formed within 2 weeks of launched, and parroted around as if its still the case.

So we should speculate how great Siri will be months down the line (up to 6 months from now) when iOS 6 comes out? Does that make sense?

I've had my iPhone 4s for a few weeks now and the few times I have used Siri it's worked fine. The only issue I have run into is the same as the video where he tries to send a message and has to keep repeating Send.

I do wish I could set the voice independent of the location, because I dig the british lady but she can't tell me what the weather will be like here in California.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/06/you-are-now-watching-the-throne-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review/

Not many of TouchWiz's features are worth highlighting, but S Voice, as Samsung's answer to Apple's Siri, must be addressed. When we first encountered the Galaxy S III at its unveiling, we noted that the service didn't seem to work all that well, but made allowances for the noisy room and pre-production software. Now that we have the final product in our hands, unfortunately, the change of circumstances hasn't improved S Voice much.
Though I personally don't use Siri all that often, its best feature is that I can speak very casually to it without minding my diction, like you usually feel you need to do with computers. With S Voice, unless you've had elocution lessons from a news anchor, it's not going to understand much of what you say. As one example, I asked both phones, "Where is the nearest Price Chopper?" (Price Chopper is a grocery store chain; a brand name, but also two real words). Siri put my query into text: "where is the nearest price chopper" and provided me with a list of addresses. S Voice translated my words into "call Mike at pay cell phone" and gave me a list of phone numbers I might like to call. When the mapping function does work, S Voice offers to complete the query with Maps.
The S Voice app is also very choppy; animations stutter, and the voice trying to communicate with you has very disjointed speech patterns. It's worth noting that Android has had voice integration and commands much longer than Apple has, though they were limited in scope. The attempted expansion to new tasks hasn't really gone over well. We're sure S Voice will improve if Samsung keeps at it, but right now, it's not a selling point.
Yeah, that sure sounds better than Siri! :rolleyes:

That review is...odd. They say a few things (like the speaker is really quiet and S-Voice is kinda crappy) that completely contradict several other reviews I've read.

ArsTechnica is pretty well-respected, so I'm not saying they're wrong, but it just seems strange.

Also:

The processor is accompanied by 2GB of RAM and 16/32GB of storage, which can be supplemented by a microSD card of up to 32GB.

That's incorrect, it supports MicroSDXC (or whatever) cards of up to 64 GB.

That review is...odd. They say a few things (like the speaker is really quiet and S-Voice is kinda crappy) that completely contradict several other reviews I've read.

ArsTechnica is pretty well-respected, so I'm not saying they're wrong, but it just seems strange.

Also:

That's incorrect, it supports MicroSDXC (or whatever) cards of up to 64 GB.

There was another review where I read the same thing about S-Voice. Might have been engadget or gizmodo. /puts_on_anti_flame_suit

How are they having so much trouble with the voice recognition? My DroidX picks my voice up accurately when it's sitting in the cup holder in my car...

I also read bad reviews about Siri too. Many people are expecting star trek I guess.

If Majel uses actual samples of Majel Barett's (Rodenberry) voice that would be unimaginably epic.

Back