S-video output to TV in black and white

ptai

n00b
My new eMachine notebook (M6805) has video driver ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (64 MB).
I configured the computer display to clone the second display to my television, through the S-video port of the notebook. The S-video is 4-pinned.
My televison does not have S-video input, thus I used a S-video to Composite (RCA)-plug cable.

The picture on the television came up correctly.
The problem is that it is in black-and-white! :mad:

Adjusting the display properties in the computer did not help.
The poblem seems to be with the computer. I have another notebook (Medion) which has a S-video (7 pinned) port. This, when connected using another (7 pinned) cable, showed the computer screen in color on the TV. It also plays video correctly.

One possible problem is that the ATI video driver has to be updated. However, I was not able to locate the proper driver to use. ATI support claimed that I have to get it from eMachine. The eMachine support refuse to support connection to a TV without S-video input. I am afraid to do the wrong update and ruin my notebook display.
(How do you revert a bad video driver upgrade?) :confused:

Can you help me?
Thank you.

I want to add some more details on my video wiring since it may be important:

I actually connect the S-video output of my notebook computer to a VCR, into its RCA (yellow) video input. The VCR is already connected to the TV using a RF coax cable.
To see the computer screen on the TV, I have to switch the VCR's setting from 'tuner' to 'external'.

This connection works with my Medion notebook (NVIDIO video card), TV in color.
This connection fails with my eMachine notebook (ATI Mobility Radeon), TV in B&W.

What can be wrong?
Thanks.

Problem fixed by directly connecting the S-video output of the notebook computer to an S-video input of the TV.
I have to buy a new TV (with S-video input) to do this.
For some reason, the notebook's video card (and S-video output) does not work when connected using a S-video to Composite cable.

Thanks for help.
This thread is now closed.

Back