S.T.A.L.K.E.R. won't start

So i just installed the game and, when i try to run it, nothing happens. :confused:
Well, the small splash screen appears, but that's it. Anybody know why this might be happening? I'm running 32-bit Vista, by the way, and the game is unpatched.

Try patching it? The patches fix a lot...

Check to see if you have the latest video drivers as well

It's now patched to 1.0003, i'm using 160.04 drivers for my 8800GTX and my pagefile is set to 3GB. And, still, it doesn't get past the splash screen; this is really bugging me now. Any more suggestions?

I just thought i'd add, re-installing the game didn't help at all, either.

There are some new beta drivers out from Nvidia, try www.guru3d.com forums, they contain several threads about the new drivers including download links.

I just installed the 162.15 drivers, but to no avail. :mad:
Man, this sucks. What about the no-CD patch, is there any point trying this?

Completely remove all chip-set and video drivers in safe mode, then reinstall the latest ones from nVidia. 163.xx beta is out for DL on SLI Zone.
If that doesn't work then reinstall the game/patch could have just messed up on install.

Using Driver Cleaner, i did a clean install of the 162.15 drivers (i got rid of the old ones in safe mode). I've just finished re-installing the game, for the third time, but this time i used incremental patches; the game still hangs on the splash screen. If you look at "Error 24: startup failure" in this thread, i think that's the problem i'm having.

I'll try the drivers you mentioned, and see if that helps at all. Thank you.

Stalker doesnt need a no cd patch since you dont need the cd to run the game.

Oh, don't you? When i try to run it i'm told to insert the CD; i was wondering maybe it wasn't reading the CD correctly which is why i can't get the game to run. :confused:

You know if this is the first time installing the game there is a small possibility you don't have the proper video codecs installed. Since there is a short movie intro going into the lore of Stalker.

You know if this is the first time installing the game there is a small possibility you don't have the proper video codecs installed. Since there is a short movie intro going into the lore of Stalker.

Yeah, i think i read something about this earlier. Although, i've added -nointro to the target line of the shortcut so it shouldn't be a problem. Gah, i've tried absolutely everything i can think of to get this game working but it isn't having any of it.

/regrets installing vista

Sixthsense, what codecs would i need incase the intro movie is still causing the problem?

Thank you.

Yeah, i think i read something about this earlier. Although, i've added -nointro to the target line of the shortcut so it shouldn't be a problem. Gah, i've tried absolutely everything i can think of to get this game working but it isn't having any of it.

/regrets installing vista

Sixthsense, what codecs would i need incase the intro movie is still causing the problem?

Thank you.

Honestly, I'm not too sure since I always install multiple codecs into my system. Other short term fixes would involve renaming the movie file .Turning off UAC and making sure you're running as Admin wouldn't hurt either.Just case your wondering, I have xvid, Sorenson, & quicktime installed

Honestly, I'm not too sure since I always install multiple codecs into my system. Other short term fixes would involve renaming the movie file .Turning off UAC and making sure you're running as Admin wouldn't hurt either.Just case your wondering, I have xvid, Sorenson, & quicktime installed

Thanks again. I'll try renaming the movie file and, since i've already tried running the game as an administrator; would turning UAC of completely make any difference?

I have had games in the past where it woud load. Then UAC would prompt without my knowledge in the backround causing the game to either stall or CTD. I have had it disabled for quite sometime now

Back