S.T.A.L.K.E.R. v1.0001 discussion

the problem is that they changed save structures/balance issues that weren't compatible with old saves. Plus since they rebalanced the damage/money/trader it would be quite different starting as far as you have been and what it is now in terms of your money you've obtained/nothing spent on it and other things.

Would you rather have a quicksave/quickload that's broken for many, among other things with unbalances or what?

Playing through the game with the changes now makes it better then what it was before the changes.

Sorry but after spending hours and hours getting through the game and trying my best complete it fully i dont really care that they changed anything for the balancing of the game and how it would effect the save system. Considering the last game i played that this happened in (Farcry , believe it was the second patch that was released) is it really that hard to believe someone would be upset over losing hours of gameplay?

Not really.

Sorry but after spending hours and hours getting through the game and trying my best complete it fully i dont really care that they changed anything for the balancing of the game and how it would effect the save system. Considering the last game i played that this happened in (Farcry , believe it was the second patch that was released) is it really that hard to believe someone would be upset over losing hours of gameplay?

Not really.

Exactly. I see most of the online servers are running the new version now. I really don't want to patch and lose my progress in the single player game. :rolleyes:

I wonder if there is a way to hack in the save games files to the new version.

i'm hesitant to upgrade because i wonder what their next pathch v1.00000002 will have in store and if it will again blow away savegames

i'm hesitant to upgrade because i wonder what their next pathch v1.00000002 will have in store and if it will again blow away savegames

Me, too. I've only played it for about 3.5 hours, but I'd hate to keep starting over.

Honestly, I'm perfectly happy to have it the way it is. I'm not finding it that hard to kill enemies now later in the game and I've never had it crash. No way I'm installing this patch and ruining my saves.

This is [H]ardOcp, right ? Not the "Gaming for Newbies Forum". I agree that it is unfortunate that a patch came out that nukes your saved games. It is what it is, though, and so far it seems the majority of major "technical" flaws are related to running the game on Vista.

So anyhow, there are only 2 realistic ways to get Vista - 1) you bought a new PC with Vista, or 2) you bought Vista and intentionally installed it on your machine.

Now, tell me how many [H]ard patrons have blindly invested in Vista, or have no clue how to install a dual boot setup with XP and Vista side by side until a service pack is released that makes Vista useful ?

If not, I suggest you google "dual boot xp vista" and go from there. That won't help your saved games in STALKER, but going forward, you will be well positioned to avoid these kinds of problems. Sorry to sound harsh, but I thought this forum was geared more towards people that could solve these problems on their own.

Anyhow, the saved game issue sucks, but the way the game works on Vista sucks a lot more. And whose fault is that ? I suggest you blame that on Microsoft, and honestly, what did you expect ? They worked on this game for 6 years and somehow it is supposed work flawlessly on a buggy operating system that was only released a couple months ago ?

This is [H]ardOcp, right ? Not the "Gaming for Newbies Forum". I agree that it is unfortunate that a patch came out that nukes your saved games. It is what it is, though, and so far it seems the majority of major "technical" flaws are related to running the game on Vista.

So anyhow, there are only 2 realistic ways to get Vista - 1) you bought a new PC with Vista, or 2) you bought Vista and intentionally installed it on your machine.

Now, tell me how many [H]ard patrons have blindly invested in Vista, or have no clue how to install a dual boot setup with XP and Vista side by side until a service pack is released that makes Vista useful ?

If not, I suggest you google "dual boot xp vista" and go from there. That won't help your saved games in STALKER, but going forward, you will be well positioned to avoid these kinds of problems. Sorry to sound harsh, but I thought this forum was geared more towards people that could solve these problems on their own.

Anyhow, the saved game issue sucks, but the way the game works on Vista sucks a lot more. And whose fault is that ? I suggest you blame that on Microsoft, and honestly, what did you expect ? They worked on this game for 6 years and somehow it is supposed work flawlessly on a buggy operating system that was only released a couple months ago ?

I know exactly how to dual boot Vista and XP. That doesn't mean I want to do it. Vista has been fine for me for the most part. I've kept XP around for any legacy applications on a seperate machine, which is good enough for me.

BTW, you shouldn't automatically blame Microsoft like alot of people do. Game patches and newer video card drivers make all the difference in the world with STALKER in my experience. It would seem to me that the problem lies with the game, and or immature Vista drivers, and not with Vista itself.

so far it seems the majority of major "technical" flaws are related to running the game on Vista.

I'm using XP SP2. The game crashes constantly, hard locking and forcing a reboot. I even tried a fresh OS install with minimal drivers. Put my cpu and gpu at stock speed and it still crashes. Applied the patch and it crashes. I'm really pissed at whoever rushed this game out. From what I've played, the game is fantastic but in its current state, it's unplayable for me. :rolleyes:

I'm using XP Pro x32 with sp2 and I haven't had 1 hitch, flaw, crash or artifact on my OC'ed system. Yikes.

I'm not sure I want to patch now. Not so much as worrying about lost game saves, but the crashing and artificing reported make me want to wait for 1.00003 :(

Does the patch fix the stuttering every time there is a flash of lightning when full dynamic lighting is enabled - because that's the only issue I've really had.

Does the patch fix the stuttering every time there is a flash of lightning when full dynamic lighting is enabled - because that's the only issue I've really had.

I remember reading someone saying that this particular problem was fixed for him.

I'm using XP Pro x32 with sp2 and I haven't had 1 hitch, flaw, crash or artifact on my OC'ed system. Yikes.

I'm not sure I want to patch now. Not so much as worrying about lost game saves, but the crashing and artificing reported make me want to wait for 1.00003 :(

Dammit

I patched, and now get random CTD :(

Don't patch if it's working for you!

game was nearly 100% stable before patch with maxed settings, now it froze for the first time :rolleyes: . Performance has definetly improved (no 10second delay while loading the opening "outside" view. I probabbly should have waited for v1.000000004

game was nearly 100% stable before patch with maxed settings, now it froze for the first time :rolleyes: . Performance has definetly improved (no 10second delay while loading the opening "outside" view. I probabbly should have waited for v1.000000004

I haven't noticed any performance improvement. Though there was a huge difference between NVIDIA driver 100.65 and 101.41.

No way I'm patching away about 25 hours of gameplay.

They should have waited the extra week and released it pre-patched to that version, or at least warned people that a patch was upcoming and would mess up save game.

turn it off in the Nvidia Control Panel (set it to Application Preference), it can be on in the game, it just doesn't like having anything specific set in the control panel.

I tried it in the Nvidia control panel, nothing.

Regarding forceware drivers:
(march 28th)
"We've learned that NVIDIA is hard at work on developing a new ForceWare driver for GeForce 8800 users that will bring performance enhancements as well as SLI support for S.T.A.L.K.E.R."
http://www.stalker-zone.com/

coool

Tried the Nvidia control panel again, got it working, make sure you press the Save button on Vista when you change the settings, might even take two tries before it kicks in.

the patch improves the A.I 10 fold, it's a must.

disagreement there.

If you are spotted from far away, the AI will now all group togeather and go twords your direction.If you simply run around them you can kill them all every time with one nade cause they are all pretty much clustered around the same point. I think it is an improvement in behaviour for them to come after you like that but I found the pre-patch AI much more cunning in how they split up and pretty much approached you in stealth.

Post-patch AI = more predictable imo.

I can actually play the game, problem now is the crashing. Any ideas?

Check arstechnica forum. Someone on the STALKER thread there has posted a special configuration setup. Honestly, it degrades the graphics but since I've been running it, it hasn't frozen once on me. It doesn't look horrible, but it's not quite the full dynamic lighting if the game is maxed. But it works and really improved the game's stability. Before it was locking up every 20 minutes even with only medium quality in game settings, which my rig "should" be able to handle at least without crashing constantly.. He seems to know what he's talking about. I can't remember exactly but he told me it's got something to do with the light calculations and the way textures are swapped. He's working to improve the shader algorithms.

I tried lowering the light, the problem occurs when I press ESC to save, or when I search a body and I press ESC to get out of it.

disagreement there.

If you are spotted from far away, the AI will now all group togeather and go twords your direction.If you simply run around them you can kill them all every time with one nade cause they are all pretty much clustered around the same point. I think it is an improvement in behaviour for them to come after you like that but I found the pre-patch AI much more cunning in how they split up and pretty much approached you in stealth.

Post-patch AI = more predictable imo.

wow, it's just the exact opposite for me.

Back