S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or F.E.A.R.?

young wing

2[H]4U
I am having a bit of a tough time deciding here. Since I game very little, its one or the other. I read about stalker crashes often, so I am leaning toward fear...I searched "stalker vs fear" and came up empty. I know $hit about games these days, I still play MOHAA.

FEAR = pure FPS

Stalker is FPS and RPG

For really liked both

Is it because they are acronyms that people think they are comparable games? lol, I've seen this question often.

interesting interesting.....keep em coming!

FPS FTW!

Stu: Yea im sure they are out there. I just want something to start making my 8800 640 sweat a little bit.

Stalker. Loved Stalker. Although FEAR was a lot of fun too, and the expansion pack added a lot more fun.

I haven't played it yet, but Stalker would probably make your card sweat.

If you don't know what one to play, why not play them both?

But if you only want to play one then...

F.E.A.R. = DOOM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. = Oblivion

Sort of but you'll never know the difference.

I would take S.T.A.L.K.E.R. over F.E.A.R.... I think it's a much more interesting and ambitious game. It's not as polished as F.E.A.R., but what it lacks up in polish it makes up for in atmosphere and innovation. I seriously haven't played a FPS game quite like it.

And I agree with the comment that it's somewhat similar to Oblivion while F.E.A.R. is more like Doom.

if your getting a game for single player, Stalker would win hands down. best single player fps ive played in awhile. i have yet to touch its multi player. i just really wish stalker had co-op.

If you don't know what one to play, why not play them both?

But if you only want to play one then...

F.E.A.R. = DOOM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. = Oblivion

Sort of but you'll never know the difference.

Because I have 4 books to read; English major, no time for multiple games. But the DOOM comparo sounds good...

look up fear combat...they released the multiplayer for free and its fun. then you can experience fear and not have to spend money lol

I didn't mean to get down on you with the (Sort of but you'll never know the difference) comment. But I would choose to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R..
It's a newer game, and you have to think past the bugs. Perfect for anyone going to college.

My wife got me FEAR a month ago for my birthday (a year old game but a new house and Oblivion kept me from it and other games) and I just installed it and played through the first two missions last weekend. I baught STALKER on Monday and I am hooked. I think it is the realism/AI plus the RPG aspects that make it so much fun for me. Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time and STALKER seems to play like it. Some have made the correlation between STALKER and Oblivion as well due to the open-endedness which is also very appealing to me. I guess it just depends on if you prefer run-and-gun gameplay (FEAR) or an RPG-FPS. STALKER is more creepy than FEAR as well due to the environment.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ...

because of the non-linear story line. I like choose-your-pwn-adventure style games. Deus Ex, anyone? :D

if your getting a game for single player, Stalker would win hands down. best single player fps ive played in awhile. i have yet to touch its multi player. i just really wish stalker had co-op.

Oh my god... Sven STALKER mod, anyone?

I must say the guns in stalker make me want to choose it but then i remember having slow mo in fear and getting some pretty amazing looking headshots and body shots so fear gets my vote.

STALKER is significantly larger and more in depth with RPG elements, FEAR is more linear and action packed.

They're both really well made games, but simply for value for money I'd get STALKER, I'm about 25 hours in and can't be more than about 1/2 way done. You can complete fear in just a few sittings.

FEAR was a visceral, and satisfying combat experience. A real adrenaline rush. STALKER's combat sucked, in my opinion. The RPG elements and open-endedness is good, however. I put about 10 hours into STALKER, and I'm not interested in playing any further due to the unsatisfying combat.

If we could put Dark Messiah's melee action into Oblivion, and FEAR's perfected firefights into STALKER, we'd have some truly amazing games.

FEAR was about as emotionally-demanding as a bagel. If you've ever seen a single horror film you'll know exactly what's going to come when. Trundling down a dark hallway, oho! I spy a ladder. Ten says that as I turn around to go down the ladder the creepy child'll appear at the top, behind me. Golly! What a shock, so she did :rolleyes:

Etc.

STALKER, on the other hand, has me booking appointments with friends to play the same level (start of X18) at the same time over Ventrilo so I don't shit my pants, and I can only play during the day. The sound development for this game has to be the best i've ever found.

However, STALKER's a more demanding game, both in terms of PC and the user - it's sort of like an FPS Oblivion minus the levelling, and the realism of the weapons can leave you frustrated until later on. FEAR is just straightforward, cinematic all-guns-blazing corridor shooting. Up to you, which you prefer, stinnit.

STALKER!!!

FEAR was overrated and had horrible atmosphere and level design. The only thing it really had going for it was the decent enemy AI.

I've played FEAR 5 or 6 times through, it's one of my favorites. I also have a FEAR server--public and private--as well as frequent various servers occasionally. F.E.A.R is more of a casual, doesn't take much skill, Action-packed and graphically beautiful (to me) game.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has flat out surpassed my expectations and well worth the wait. It's a unique game, which does what it does very well. I'd say it's a little more involved than F.E.A.R but then I'd just be lying cause it's a lot more than that. It's damn fun and worth the mulla.

I'm a huge FEAR fan. I too, have played through the single player probably five or six times and I run my own deathmatch server. I recently bought STALKER, and I've been trying to get into it. It hasn't grabbed me the same way that FEAR did.

This sounds good on both levels. I like run and blast DOOM style stuff, as well as "light" RPG/FPS.
At this point its which one I can get cheaper in FS forum! I wish I could get both but maybe in a month when school is over Ill get a few more games, just one will do for now. :cool:

Well, if it helps with the decision, STALKER is on sale at Circuit City for $29.99 till the 31st. I have both and honestly, I like the fact that STALKER seems to be more dynamic as opposed to FEAR. For the running and gunning, FEAR is the better choice. For a game that requires a bit of thought before pulling the trigger, STALKER wins in that front. Nothing like getting into the middle of a firefight only to have your weapon jam on you and left with a split second to improvise your next move before it's too late! :D

I haven't played STALKER, but if you're not gaming much and you're just looking for something to pick away at over the coming months, then STALKER seems to be your best bet. FEAR is a well-constructed linear single-player experience, but for exactly this reason, it's something you should really play from start to finish in a relatively short period of time.

FEAR was overrated and had horrible atmosphere and level design.
The levels looked bland and repetitive, but that's more a matter of art direction. The actual design of the maps was some of the best in living memory.

Wow lots of FEAR bashing here. Both are great games. FEAR is much more polished and has faster paced fights. I guess it would depend on what kind of FPS you are looking for. If you want to play a game with a brisk pace then FEAR. Also the climax is very cool even though you see it coming a mile away. The SP will have very little reply value.

STALKER will appeal to a smaller crowd. Its much slower paced, realistic and non-linear. With seven different endings it has more reply potential than FEAR.

Also FEAR unlike STALKER has SP demo. Try it. If you don't like it then maybe STALKER is your cup of tea. Too bad STALKER doesn't have a demo.

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/fear/downloads.

If it's between the two get FEAR combat...try it out. Then realize that the game is nothing like the multi-player...

So my choice is stalker.

any game that you have to unload 2 full clips to kill a bad guy needs some work. i know it was early in the game and a weak gun. I personally would take FEAR and its expansion over STALKER, just because i cant stand slow paced games (a la oblivion which i played for 30 mins before uninstalling) oh im a level 30 sorcerer that is going to case a spell on you, wtf grow up and knife someone lol sorry

The fire fights in FEAR were extremely well thought out in my opinion.. It seemed like I alway had just enough health/ammo/armor to get through them at the hard difficulty settings..

I have only had a couple of hours with STALKER, I'm liking it.. But it is not really directly comparable to FEAR.. As already said by others, it is much more comparable to the likes of Oblivion and Deus Ex than FEAR/DOOM/Quake4/HL2 or other standard type fps's..

Play both, when you find the time... Problem solved... :D

Do you realize that one is an FPS and the other one is an FPS RPG???

That's like asking whats better - Forza or Big RIGS?

I've played FEAR and FEAR XP singleplayer, and am about halfway through STALKER singleplayer.

I like both games in different ways. In my opinion, their strengths are very different.

FEAR has fewer bugs / technical disappointments. The ability to go bullet-time can be very fun. I think the enemy AI in FEAR is better, too.

STALKER is buggy as hell. Transiting between levels always causes you to uncrouch, and on one occasion, I appeared at an entrance where SIX enemies had clustered. When sprint-running long distances, there are frequently pauses of over 5 seconds when the game struggles to keep up its loading with the player's pace. I have to turn down graphics settings and underclock my card because I can't find a set of drivers that handle it well enough.

Despite all that, I still get sucked into the game world for several hours every day. There are lots of NPCs and groups to interact with, challenging enemies, tense firefights and creepy mutant-infested holes. The sound atmosphere is great. And though I haven't finished yet, there are apparently 7 different endings.

So FEAR triumphs in technical merits, but I can see that STALKER is much more replayable.

FEAR is good, but it's the same old shit over and over. Walk down corridor, shoot enemy, go wow at the awesome overdone lighting, enter room, shoot at enemy and go wow again at how your muzzle flash lights up the room. Speaking of that, how is it that there are never any lights on in FEAR? Anyways, FEAR is hella creepy and a fun game.

STALKER is better. With STALKER you have a whole world to go mess around with. You have real weapons, not some made up ones. You can make choices that change the story. Myself, I have not had a single crash or a single bug effect me with STALKER. Maybe my system is more stable or whatever, but the game runs fine for me. I do get the stuttering that was described above, but it's a fraction of a second for me, not a 5 second pause.

I guess I wouldn't miss either one of them, but instead get both. If I had a choice, STALKER now and get FEAR and the expansion pack later.

i´d go with FEAR just for the Anti-Aliasing support, would change my mind if i can get STALKER to work with AA enabled though

FEAR is more polished,IS demanding on any system, and is a linear shooter,albeit a good one. The expansion is very good, solid action, no filler.

STALKER is an adventure with firefights. It's different but very well done. I finished it in just over 10 days, a couple of hours a day. I got a crappy ending so I'm starting over. STALKER is demanding on your system due to the vast area it renders.

If I could only buy one......STALKER for sure. and I liked both of these games alot.

Aside: you cant use AA in STALKER due to the lighting technique it employs, unless you have an 8800 and then you might be able to force AA under enhancement like in GRAW 1 for PC.

well i DO own a 8800GTS 640MB SLI rig ! and i´m getting NO AA ! :(
GRAW with AA????

AA isn't as essential as long as you run the game at your monitor's native resolution. So i wouldn't let this put you off STALKER.

well i DO own a 8800GTS 640MB SLI rig ! and i´m getting NO AA ! :(
GRAW with AA????

In the "new" nvidia control panel.......look under game profiles.
The 8800 series of cards allows you to "enhance" the in game or even over-ride the ingame AA.......some games will allow the 8800 to force AA even if it wasnt available before.
For instance, in GRAW1 for PC I was able to enhance the AA to 4x and the game, although not perfect, is much better from that standpoint now.

There is a great explanation about this in the first review [H] did when the cards were released......I believe it was a review of the BFG brand of 8800 cards. October sound right????

I haven't play STALKER yet ,so I can't comment on that game.
But am I the only one that didn't like F.E.A.R. at all ?

First of all you need some great system to even play that game at reasonable frame rate. I am sure that if you are able to turn on all lightning effects in game it looks fantastic, but without them it looks very outdated.

Bullet time / slowdown time feels like Max Payne to me , which isn't that new.
Level design ?!? where ?
Go from one office to other , listen to messages on answering machines. Download files from " Alienware " notebook, how clever. Killing clones who act the same and talk the same , gets boring rather quickly. Listening to orders from your commanding officer . " operative will go there and do that ..." so impersonal.

And bugs

- bodies getting stuck in walls and shaking violently
- setting mines on the floor and seeing them hovering towards the ceiling , priceless .

Spoiler

Near the end of the game critical bug.

You drop down to a room with large windows and kill all ghosts there, there is one set of doors but they're barricaded , no way out. I must have search every inch of that room in order to find a way out. no go. So I went on web to find answers.
Walkthrus and cheats nothing. And finally one site pointed out that after you kill all the ghosts the floor boards explode and you can drop down to level bellow.
Well they didn't on mine and believe me I tried . Nades rpg etc etc.
So I had to reload last save game and go again for about 15 minutes so I can finish that room level.

Anyways this game has it's moments as far as horror atmosphere goes but I believe to be highly overrated by gaming community.

Back