S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Lost Alpha news

torrent was slow to start, at leased for me, took about 3-4 hours. got about 8 min left, cant wait.

Yeah, started off a bit slow, but within 5 minutes it got to ~4mb/s. Uploading @ 500kb/s for you guys :)

I've been waiting for this to drop for yearrrrrs...and now I'm playing it. I'll be seeding the Gameupdates.org torrent for a loooong time.

Tips for people installing this game:

Do 'XP Compatibility mode' and 'Run as Administrator' for the shortcut: this avoids certain crashes and bugginess.
You can also add -nointro to the shortcut like you could SoC if you want to skip the many splash screen intros (GSC, Nvidia, etc.). But do watch the new movie intro at least once!
Put ammo on your belt or you can't reload your weapon.
If you can't hear your footsteps in first person, go into 'Options LA' and turn off legs. This menu option may not work properly yet...mine doesn't.
The menu is laggy and choppy: it's not you, it's the game.
This game will bring even decent high end systems to their knees, so don't hesitate to turn off AA or sun rays to get better frame rates.

Yeah definitely turn down some settings. With a 3770K @ 4.5ghz and a 7950 with everything maxed I get 30 FPS in the beginning part and down to 15FPS when I go outside :D

I'm playing it now and all I can say so far is...wow. Just freakin' wow. Either I'm misremembering what vanilla SoC looks like or this goes far, FAR beyond just a token graphical touch-up. It's a completely redone world. Words simply can't do it justice. It's just incredible.

If anyone is confused about where the executable is located, it's here:

[selected program directory]\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Lost Alpha\bins\XR_3DA.exe

I'm still reeling.

I like it, but I'm gonna wait until they patch it. I don't want the bugs to ruin the experience for me.

Make sure you "run as administrator" or the game will have issues like, not remembering settings you have changed (resolution, detail, etc), keys will not be bound the next time you start the game, etc.

On a side not it runs ok in eyefinity, the only issue is the hud and menus.

The vanilla ran butter smooth on max, but this one just kills my PC. I'll have to play on low or medium or thereabouts. Not sure if it's all the grass or what is killing it cause the graphics don't look much upgraded.

my game kept crashing when i did xp compatibility, admin mode. but everything works when i just had admin mode on.

runs fine on max with my 290.

i have had a number of crashes but nothing game breaking

Last edited:
So if you haven't played all the way through SoC before (modded or not), would you guys recommend starting with this, or no?

It was hard for me to get into SoC due to the gunplay being pretty shitty.

Umm you don't have to but it wouldn't hurt. it would also give you perspective. if you do, use the complete mod, it fixes most of the issues that vanilla has as well as adding some stuff. its also really stable.

So if you haven't played all the way through SoC before (modded or not), would you guys recommend starting with this, or no?

It was hard for me to get into SoC due to the gunplay being pretty shitty.

There was a very basic weapon mod which made the weapons more accurate, lethal, and changed them to real world names. Worth playing if you can find it. Otherwise I used the Complete mod, which added an absurd amount of weapons (~40 different skins for the AK-74 and AKM :eek:) and lots of excellent features/changes.

Call of Pripyat, while still using the ugly weapons, is actually well rounded by default. And rather stable. Well worth the purchase. Clear Sky was my least favorite in the series although it worked well with some basic "community patches". Again you might want to try the Complete mod for that.

To properly answer your original question, I would do a full run through SoC first. Get the Complete mod if you must. I assume Lost Alpha is very buggy... and in an alpha stage at the moment. I am waiting myself until it gets some patches.

Its really not that unstable. There are some random crashes and some quick save crashes. ( at leased for me) but other than that its very payable. I have noticed some translation errors but nothing serious. the voice acting is surprisingly good.

Its really not that unstable. There are some random crashes and some quick save crashes. ( at leased for me) but other than that its very payable. I have noticed some translation errors but nothing serious. the voice acting is surprisingly good.

I had issues with quickloading. I could quicksave just fine, but when I tried to quickload it just went into this loading loop. The quicksaves work if you load them normally though.

I had issues with quickloading. I could quicksave just fine, but when I tried to quickload it just went into this loading loop. The quicksaves work if you load them normally though.

ya it normaly works but sometimes it just cdt's on me when i quick load. But being a seasoned stalker its Not a big deal since i save almost as much as i quick save

Wow this actually came out? What a very exciting time! I'll wait for some patches too because I have other games to finish, but damn!

hmm stable as fuck, even alt-tabbing to win and getting back to the game works

no

XR_3DA2014-04-2904-08-20-44_zpsee9c949d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nice looking game...but is anyone having trouble saving there games? i can't get quick save or regular save to work

nice looking game...but is anyone having trouble saving there games? i can't get quick save or regular save to work

left click on the XR_3DA.exe located on the game folder -> properties -> tick on the "run it as admin" box -> apply, ok, done.

Does anyone have any idea what values to change, in the config file, to fix issues with the HUD in eyefinity?

XR_3DA2014-04-2904-08-20-44_zpsee9c949d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I ran it in admin mode and that fixed it. people are also saying xp compatibility mode can fix it.

I wonder what setting it is that causes such huge FPS drops? Maybe it's the way they worked with DX10, since Clear Sky was a lag fest with that turned on? I just started to play SoC Complete again, and while it looks a little bit worse, it still looks great and runs at over 100 FPS everywhere.

So far from my experience, the game is buggy as hell.

My problems include, not being able to change the gamma/brightness.

Sound channels keep switching when I make changes to the game.

Massive framerate drops.

Last edited:
Pistol ammo/reload issue isn't a bug you just need to double click the ammo to put it in your action slot.

Anyone know if this thing will self-update when they issue new patches, or is it pretty much just keep checking back at moddb for a manual patch? Too bad they couldn't have put this sucker on Steam somehow, I realize its grey area because its a mod, yada yada, but on the other hand there are far lesser games available on Steam.

I ran it in admin mode and that fixed it. people are also saying xp compatibility mode can fix it.

thing is i have always ran it in admin mode...so thats not fixing it...but thanks anyway..I guess I'll try xp compatibility mode...worth a shot
edit: It wont even start in xp comp mode lol:mad:rats looks like it be a very nice game if it worked

edit again: created a new shortcut from the game directory..now run as admin works...off to have fun:D

Last edited:
Anyone know if this thing will self-update when they issue new patches, or is it pretty much just keep checking back at moddb for a manual patch? Too bad they couldn't have put this sucker on Steam somehow, I realize its grey area because its a mod, yada yada, but on the other hand there are far lesser games available on Steam.

Isn't Black Mesa available now? I know you could add it to steam. I think steam might just create more problems for this game though.

Back