S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Delayed Until September 5, Now Gone Gold

Maby I'll be able to finish regular Stalker before then! Stalker with the Oblivion Lost mod is the best game I've played in a very long time. I just hope it's actually better then the Oblivion Lost mod.

I still need to play the AMK mod as well but Clear Sky looks really good so far.

I have to agree with you on Oblivion Lost. I got jumped by a couple of zombies this morning and almost spilled my coffee!!!

I need to play AMK and Priboi story. Think I'll start tonight.

mmmmmm ....... Priboi story it is.

I hope they turned the difficulty level up. STALKER was WAY too easy despite the chorus of whining that came with it.

I hope it doesn't take as long to get the plot wheels spinning as the first, I played through the first one the whole way, but getting past Cordon and stuff was pretty rough the second time around. the difficulty was fine for me, after I got used to the different (more realistic?) weapon accuracy, it wasn't so bad.

This fall's going to be hitting my wallet pretty hard game wise :(

Are the volumetric lighting effects DX10 only? They look so awesome, but I'm still holding on to XP :(.

Heres a 2:30 clip walking around the Village at Night. The video looks amazing as the .avi but after be uploaded, it doesnt look as great. i'll most likely be uploading the file itself if anyone would like it, but for right now here ya go ! :D

http://speedy523.blip.tv/file/1220485/

Tell me what you guys think of the quality ;)

Heres a 2:30 clip walking around the Village at Night. The video looks amazing as the .avi but after be uploaded, it doesnt look as great. i'll most likely be uploading the file itself if anyone would like it, but for right now here ya go ! :D

http://speedy523.blip.tv/file/1220485/

Tell me what you guys think of the quality ;)

First, the graphics look great .. I mean I am impressed I wasn't expecting that. I believe I see some of that raindrop and wet surface effect? What resolution is that? The frame rate looks to be pretty shitty... :( System specs ?

First, the graphics look great .. I mean I am impressed I wasn't expecting that. I believe I see some of that raindrop and wet surface effect? What resolution is that? The frame rate looks to be pretty shitty... :( System specs ?

haha it was recorded at 1280 x 1024 and the frame rate looks better on my comp, its just that frap kills it, but the original avi i uploaded actually looks nice, its just that after its uploaded the site, like youtube, converts it to flash, which makes it crap. And my specs are in the sig. I was playing with all max settings and 12x Q AD CFAA and 16x AF. Frame rate was around 45 avg. in that vid, outside the village the frames are like 60-65 haha

And here's another vid i just uploaded http://speedy523.blip.tv/file/1220583/

Various web sites are reporting the game has been delayed to at least the 15th.

edit: sorry if old, oh sorry already posted.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/31/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-clear-sky-recalled-delayed-a-few-days/

yup haha, but hopefully steam will still have its September 6 release :D

The fps looks to be around 20 or less. What were the settings?

settings are 1280 x 1024 with 12x Q AD CFAA and 16x AF and all max in game. The frame rate in that vid is 25 frames, but fraps kills it and ruins the fps, and after uploaded, the site converts it to flash, like outube, which hurts it more. Usual frame rate in that village is 45 and outside it, its around 65 frames.

IGN review is in. Scored only 7.0 - review says the game is a mess. Poorly balanced

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/906/906864p1.html

im sure for one not taking crap from that review. just read what they said for graphics

Code:
8.5 	Graphics
The very model of collapsed beauty – character faces aside, Stalker always looked great, 
and the new lighting model is sure pretty. Not that you can actually play the game with it 
on...

Unless they were playing on really outdated hardware they shouldn't have any problems. Hell, they should be reviewing it on a better rig than mine so they should be reviewing on all max, but no, the great review rigs are saved for the next Crysis so they can give it another amazing score when the games crap...

The IGN review seems to have far more serious and numerous concerns with the gameplay than with the graphics.

The IGN review seems to have far more serious and numerous concerns with the gameplay than with the graphics.

Well it would seem that GSC have buggered it up. I'll be gutted if this gets universal bad reviews. It doesn't look good so far. I'll be buying it anyway to see for myself. I need more Zone action.

IGN summarise...

7.0 Presentation
The Zone’s still an incredible place to wander, its decaying architecture and weird mutants keeping it distinct. The writing and atmosphere have gone to pot , however.

8.5 Graphics
The very model of collapsed beauty – character faces aside, Stalker always looked great, and the new lighting model is sure pretty. Not that you can actually play the game with it on...

8.5 Sound
The voicework’s a bit ’Allo ’Allo (or whatever the Soviet-spoofing equivalent is) and you’ll need to leave the awful combat music off, but distant beast-howls still chill the blood.

7.0 Gameplay
Overwraught combat – especially those damn grenades – and mechanical progression turn much of Clear Sky into a thankless struggle, but the raw survival element is still thrilling.

7.5 Lasting Appeal
With a choice of factions to join and plenty of sidemissions – mostly very similar – there’s plenty of reason to go back. It may seem less heartbreaking second time around, too.

Decent OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average

With all of the emphasis being on the new visuals, I can't say I'd be surprised if gameplay was a distance third place finisher for Clear Sky. Even the original could have used some serious help with the story (go here, kill everything, now go there and kill everything... you win the game!).

If the grenades are anything like in OL, I understand the pain. You literally cannot run away from them fast enough to avoid a 50/50 chance of insta-death, and they get thrown perfectly right between your legs every time.

I thought OL was the brainchild of rabid fanboys who couldn't envision anything but a hateful, iron-fisted Stalker that encompassed every part of your life, every waking minute being occupied with frantic radioactive gun battles. But perhaps I was wrong, and OL is literally the way Stalker was supposed to be. And with that, like IGN said, the brilliance of the original was merely an accident.

Maybe the ideal thing is to wait for a couple patches, like the first game.

With all of the emphasis being on the new visuals, I can't say I'd be surprised if gameplay was a distance third place finisher for Clear Sky. Even the original could have used some serious help with the story (go here, kill everything, now go there and kill everything... you win the game!).

If the grenades are anything like in OL, I understand the pain. You literally cannot run away from them fast enough to avoid a 50/50 chance of insta-death, and they get thrown perfectly right between your legs every time.

I thought OL was the brainchild of rabid fanboys who couldn't envision anything but a hateful, iron-fisted Stalker that encompassed every part of your life, every waking minute being occupied with frantic radioactive gun battles. But perhaps I was wrong, and OL is literally the way Stalker was supposed to be. And with that, like IGN said, the brilliance of the original was merely an accident.

Maybe the ideal thing is to wait for a couple patches, like the first game.

Oblivion lost has been the only way I've ever played Stalker and I have enjoyed it tremendiously and still do. I'm still excited for this game and will definitely pick it up after I'm done with the original.

Oblivion lost has been the only way I've ever played Stalker and I have enjoyed it tremendiously and still do.

same here. i couldn't get into vanilla stalker, but OL changed enough things to get me hooked.

Due to the craptacular performance of Clear Sky's publisher, I'll definitely be buying it on Steam this weekend. I look forward to it despite the reviews & I'll be very patient with the patch releases since I played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. from its initial release.

considering purchasing through steam, but wondering how future mods will work. do mods like AMK, OL, etc. work with steam versions of Shadow of Chernobyl?

Yes, I don't have the Steam version but it works just the same. Steam dumps the content into the steamapps folder. Seems the mods work the same as the DVD-installed copy.

AMK doesn't work. Requires patch 1.0004. Steam uses 1.0005

cant u always unistall the game and delete it from steam, redownload/install, and set it not to auto update?

im asking this also since i want the game, but do not wish to be locked with boundaries because of steam. if i were to be locked, id rather wait a week and get it on disc

AMK doesn't work. Requires patch 1.0004. Steam uses 1.0005

interesting. is there anyway to stop steam from patching to 1.005? i've never bought a game from steam, so maybe what i'm asking isn't possible. if there's no way around this for SoC, i'll just buy a retail copy of Clear Sky to avoid future issues like this.

cant u always unistall the game and delete it from steam, redownload/install, and set it not to auto update?

im asking this also since i want the game, but do not wish to be locked with boundaries because of steam. if i were to be locked, id rather wait a week and get it on disc

interesting. is there anyway to stop steam from patching to 1.005? i've never bought a game from steam, so maybe what i'm asking isn't possible. if there's no way around this for SoC, i'll just buy a retail copy of Clear Sky to avoid future issues like this.

I'm not sure if there is a workaround. I've seen it posted at the GSC boards but it was never resolved. Steam version automatically patches to 1.0005 when you download it, its one whole package , I think. I dont expect them to upgrade the mod to 1.0005. Over at the official AMK boards, it looks like the team is split and working on other projects.

Back