S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced and Teased, More Details Throughout 2020

erek

[H]F Junkie
Could be good!

"S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 developers (or at least a Twitter handle claiming to represent them), posted two key tweets. One shows a teaser screenshot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 in development; and another with a message from the developers to fans of the game franchise. "The second chapter of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. saga will be our most ambitious game so far. It will live to the legendary legacy," the statement reads. The developers didn't, however, state any timelines. "Consider it (the teaser screenshot and announcement) our humble present, with more to come in 2020," the statement concludes."

https://www.techpowerup.com/265034/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-announced-and-teased-more-details-throughout-2020

It was actually officially announced in May 2018, and then given a release window in May 2019. Then in January this year Epic let the cat out of the bag without the developer's knowledge that the game is powered by UE4, leading to speculation that the game will be an EGS exclusive, timed or otherwise. GSC cheekily avoided the question.

1585065303991.png

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

I really hope they don't "console-ize" the game and that they don't oversimplify it either. I find games to be too hand-holdy nowadays and I love the difficulty of the original Stalker games.

Edit: reading the comments from the original post's link I am more doubtful than ever about this...

Also I seem to remember Stalker 2 being teased in the past too so idk about this... I am not going to hold my breathe...

"Wouldn't trust anything coming from Grigorovich. The only reason the original Stalker even made it to release, is because they had THQ reps on-site kicking their ass for the entirety of development process. And all it took is >5 years to make it from prototype to half-assed game in dire need of 3 dozen patches to be playable.
Now, that he ran the company into the ground, broke all connections and lost all trust in the industry, and makes outrageous claims about Stalker 2 for the past 2 years - I doubt this will get anywhere, or if it does - it'll be a generic half-assed title on third-party engine like UE4"

"The biggest thing GSC has ever done for the community, was releasing a resource unpacker. That's the only reason there were any major patches at all and why S.T.A.L.K.E.R survived for that long. I used to be active on community forums back then and participated in some development/mods. Mostly it was fans and enthusiasts who combed through in-game LUA scripts and fixed most of their stupid mistakes (later incorporated in official patches). Just by reading comments in scripts and XML files you could see that most of scripting for STALKER 1 was outsourced to students-freelancers from all over Ukraine. Some scripts were broken to the point of being laughable. For example, the first bug I ever found was essentially a banal "division by zero". It all started cause I got very pissed off at the game crashing every 2-3min on Army Warehouses level. Got the unpacker, found the script that was throwing an exception in log, combed through all functions and found a part where they were performing some arithmetic on a var that could potentially be nil. Added 1 line for value check, and crashes were gone. I'm not even sure if this fix ever made it into an official patch... "

Last edited:
I too am skeptical. They've been teasing STALKER 2 for a long time. What happened to that online thing that was supposed to be in the STALKER universe? Same people? Although if they are using UE4 and have a deal with Epic this is probably a more serious project. Maybe Epic is outright funding them. If Epic can provide the funds for a proper STALKER sequel I'd be happy.

I just hope they keep it true to the originals and don't make it like the recent Assassin's Creed games or like Zelda Breath of the Wild. I want natural exploration, off putting places that draw you in. Not a million markers on a map, dozens of similar side quests and a percentage bar of how many activities you completed off to the side. It will take a bit of creativity to make a map have things that naturally draw the player to them but I consider this a must for STALKER. I don't want another run of the mill open world game with tacky RPG mechanics.

I too am skeptical. They've been teasing STALKER 2 for a long time. What happened to that online thing that was supposed to be in the STALKER universe? Same people? Although if they are using UE4 and have a deal with Epic this is probably a more serious project. Maybe Epic is outright funding them. If Epic can provide the funds for a proper STALKER sequel I'd be happy.

I just hope they keep it true to the originals and don't make it like the recent Assassin's Creed games or like Zelda Breath of the Wild. I want natural exploration, off putting places that draw you in. Not a million markers on a map, dozens of similar side quests and a percentage bar of how many activities you completed off to the side. It will take a bit of creativity to make a map have things that naturally draw the player to them but I consider this a must for STALKER. I don't want another run of the mill open world game with tacky RPG mechanics.
Survarium? That was released years ago. There is also Stay Out/STALKER Online and Fear the Wolves.

When the first teaser images were released of the first game I was still in high school, but by the time an actual game was released it was nothing special. So if they teased this first a year ago, we can expect a game in 2025. Still sooner than Star Citizen

This is almost like HL3 now.
I really want this to happen, my body is ready to go back into the zone, but it´s been on and off for years.
I just hope if it happens, they can capture that original shit yourself atmosphere, and amazing firefights.

This actually is a good hypothesis. With the insane amount of money Epic is spending on exclusives and timed exclusives on their store they very well could have thrown some money at these guys to work on the project. However i'd feel better about this if Epic made an announcement that Stalker 2 would be an Epic Store exclusive (which I would be okay with if I could play an actual new Stalker game).

Get out of here Stalker!

Also, if this is an Epic games store only game. I'm gonna be pissed. And WILL Pirate it.

I would love a new one, I like the first one but it did not age well (predominantly a UI problem rather than gameplay)

Not holding my breath though
The UI was hard to use when the game was new and I'm sure it was a turn-off for many people.

Back