S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD

Carv

[H]ard|Gawd
I started getting this error on Saturday everytime I boot up. When turning on the computer I now get a beep from the motherboard, and the following message on the screen.

HDerror1.jpg

When pressing F4 the computer boots into the OS fine, but it wont boot into the OS until I press F4.

The drive is a WD 74GB Raptor, and I've had it installed since I built the computer back in early 05'

For those of you that have experienced a SMART error, is this something I need to worry about and start backing up?

Thank your lucky stars you can still boot to the O/S. Back up your stuff ASAP and replace that drive ASAP.

+1.

Backup ASAP and fill out the Western Digital advance RMA form. It only takes 2-3 days to get a drive from them, so yours may even keep working during that time. I've even been able to clone a drive with SMART errors to a drive fresh from RMA without issues before. Of course, I'm not always that fortunate.

+1.

Backup ASAP and fill out the Western Digital advance RMA form. It only takes 2-3 days to get a drive from them, so yours may even keep working during that time. I've even been able to clone a drive with SMART errors to a drive fresh from RMA without issues before. Of course, I'm not always that fortunate.

You mean the drive is still under warranty? They would replace it if I call them?

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

You mean the drive is still under warranty? They would replace it if I call them?

It should still be under warranty. IIRC, Raptors have a 5 year warranty. Check on the Western Digital website to see if your drive is still under warranty.

I would say get the WD DataLifeguard tools and run the Advanced/Full test on that drive before assuming the absolute worst here. Make sure it checks out or fails according to WD's own testing/diagnostic software and proceed from there. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had mobos cough up that "Drive bad, replace drive" error when it turned out to just be a glitch in the BIOS - I'm not saying that's the case here, but treat this like a medical condition:

You look for and expect a second opinion. Don't take what the mobo/BIOS is saying on faith alone, prove the defective state of the drive (if you can) using the WD diagnostic utility, and then go from there. The S.M.A.R.T. system is very useful sometimes, but it's far from perfect.

Step 1, get this: hiren's boot cd
it has WD datalifeguard on it.
boot with it, scan your HD

use the serial to go on WD site and see if your drive is still under warranty.
request advanced RMA

Raptors have a 5 year warranty, mine crapped out a month ago. Do an advanced RMA its a lot quicker

I got put in my advanced RMA today. I ran the diagnostics and the extended test came out fine, but the smart status kept it's reading of "FAIL" Then when you look at the SMART data the part that it highlights in red is the "Re-Allocated Sector Count" as shown below:

smartstatus1.jpg

It's gonna suck having to re-do my primary drive, as I've never had a drive fail on me. I'm looking to just reinstall the OS on the new drive, then salvage as much as I can from an Acronis image I took today.

If anyone has any better methods they can sugest that'd be great. I was thinking about cloning over the drive, but don't know if I trust that lol.

If the WD DataLifeguard diagnostic utility said "No errors found" when you ran the full/extended test (the one that takes a long time to finish), then the drive is sound regardless of what the S.M.A.R.T. status is reporting. 140 re-allocated sectors? That's like, nothing at all, so I'd suspect the S.M.A.R.T. hardware or reporting functionality is what's failed, not the drive itself.

If the diagnostic gave you a clean bill of health, with no disposition codes to report other than a bunch of zeroes, that drive is good to go. I'm used to dealing with Hitachi drives and the Drive Fitness Test, so I'm not even sure what the WD stuff looks or works like anymore.

Regardless, if the diagnostics were clean, I'd say back that sucker up with True Image (my most cherished application, if one can cherish such a thing) and don't worry about it. If their were bad sectors or the drive was actually truly faulty, the diagnostic wouldn't have even completed: it would have stopped with the first no-pass results and warned you right then and there.

I'm looking to just reinstall the OS on the new drive, then salvage as much as I can from an Acronis image I took today.

Or, you can use that image to completely restore the drive. If you want to do that, make a boot disc (bootable rescue media) from within the program. When your new drive comes, connect the new drive and the drive with the image, and boot from the rescue disc.

The bootable disc will guide you thru restoring your image to the new drive.

If I can do it without screwing it up, everybody can do it! :D

Acronis FTW!

Or, you can use that image to completely restore the drive. If you want to do that, make a boot disc (bootable rescue media) from within the program. When your new drive comes, connect the new drive and the drive with the image, and boot from the rescue disc.

The bootable disc will guide you thru restoring your image to the new drive.

If I can do it without screwing it up, everybody can do it! :D

Acronis FTW!

The replacement drive came in today. I need to clone the drive booting into the recovery disk? Or can I just do it from the OS since I boot-in fine?

I need to clone the drive booting into the recovery disk? Or can I just do it from the OS since I boot-in fine?

I've done it both ways, but prefer the recovery disc method.

Good Luck!

I did it last night, used the recovery disk and worked like a charm. It was quick too, took maybe only 15-20 minutes. It had me scared though because the progress bar never moved throughout the whole cloning process, it just gave me the noticed when it cloned successfully. The new drive, I have'nt had time to play with the computer on the new drive, but I'll see how it goes today.

I did it last night, used the recovery disk and worked like a charm. It was quick too, took maybe only 15-20 minutes. It had me scared though because the progress bar never moved throughout the whole cloning process, it just gave me the noticed when it cloned successfully. The new drive, I have'nt had time to play with the computer on the new drive, but I'll see how it goes today.

I've been using Acronis since Version 8 and it's never let me down.

Coupla months ago, just for shits and giggles, I restored an AMD nForce4 image to a new Abit IP35-Pro Intel P35 chipset MB. Acronis didn't bitch at all, and it worked fine.

Back