?'s about system selector and video quality

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm thinking about getting a component video system selector and I was wondering exactly how it affect image quality. I'm assuming that running component into it and then out wouldn't affect it at all, but what about running s-video into the switch and then component from the switch to the TV? Will it keep the quality at s-video level or upscale it to component? I just switched from using the dreamcast through s-video to regular rca and I can definitely see the difference. The problem is my new tv doesn't have s-video in but it does have component in. I can't locate component dreamcast cables, I don't think they were ever made.

Most video selectors do not allow a composite or s-video in to come out through the component connectors and if they do it does not enhance the quality. You can get A/V recievers which will output everything through component and they are in the $400+ bracket I think (mine does but it was $800 when I bought it). Recievers that actually enhance the quality are well over $1000 and I would imagine switches that do it are very pricey as well although not as high as a reciever. The best dreamcast had was the VGA but no component cables that I am aware of either.

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that if I connect an s-video into the box, the signal won't even be sent along the component cables, and if it does it will just retain the s-video quality?

My A/V reciever can do that (ie. s-video in, but component out, vice-versa, etc.) and it retains the quality of the lowest end component. I tried to use some trickery to make the Gamecube progressive scan w/o proper cables and it didn't work :)

Well, what I'm trying to do is get s-video quality out of my dreamcast onto a tv without an s-video plug, and I'm hoping that this system selector I saw will let me do that. I really don't want to spring for a receiver when this is all I'm looking for, you know? I guess I'll have to go back to the store and read the packaging over closely.

So...the TV has components (red/blue/green), but no s-video, right? But the selector will take your s-video and output it to the red/blue/green...right? That should work. I definitely don't think you'd lose much if anything like that.
If all else fails, try it but hang on to the receipt!

Domingo said:
So...the TV has components (red/blue/green), but no s-video, right? But the selector will take your s-video and output it to the red/blue/green...right? That should work. I definitely don't think you'd lose much if anything like that.
If all else fails, try it but hang on to the receipt!

Yeah that's exactly it, assuming that the selector is capable of taking whatever input it has and outputting it to the component cables (I don't see why it wouldn't be, but who knows). Not looking to upscale the image or anything, I just didn't think I would find the composite signal to be as ugly as I do. Thanks for the input, I think I will try it. The best buy near me seems to be pretty good about returns, they took an open Samsung mp3 player that was doing weird things to my comp and I got a full refund.

I think it'll work fine. My receiver is basically working as a system switch. I don't think it's got anything special in it...and that works fine on my end. It won't give you anything special (like progressive scan) from the components as it's coming from an s-video signal...but it'll almost assuredly work.
I've never had any issues taking items to Best Buy or Circuit City back as long as you keep the receipt. When I was having PC issues I actually ended up buying a new HD, a new DVD drive, and a new mainboard all with the intent of fixing my PC via trial and error. I returned the other items with no issues at all.

Back