Ryzen7 5700G .... Can it serve as a video edit system for short format projects (Pr + Ae).

Plainman

Limp Gawd
Im planning to build a system with a 5700G on b550M motherboard. This will be only for working with Premiere Pro and After Effects.
My projects are all in 4K but worked on a 2.5K timeline with output to 2.5k. My projects are all only 3-4 mins in timeline duration.
Plz keep in note my expectations....ive been working with the lowest rung i3 and have managed with that....i get smooth timeline scrubs as long as i keep 1/8 preview res (which aint that bad when the preview window is quarter of your 1080p screen). I can scrub like mad with color grades and masks with blur effects etc slapped onto the 40 so clips on the timeline, smooth fluid response AND the system has (touch wood) NEVER crashed EVEN ONCE since installation LOL. Ae will very very very rarely freeze the preview, but no crash...you can still save etc and restart, i guess the underpowered HD530 iGPU cant handle triple monitor and the Ae preview.

The rest of the rig already exists as below and this will only be a mobo+processor upgrade. I have to work without a DGPU for now till i can throw in a GTX 2060 or something.

MY EXISTING RIG…

i3 6100. > This is what is getting changed.
GigaByte B250M DS3H Mobo.
64gb 3200mhz CL16 Ram.
No DGPU.
250gb NVME for OS n Progs.
250gb NVME as scratch disk.
1TB SSD for Footage.
HDD for Renders.
HDD for Backups.
650w Corsair Bronze certified PSU.
Triple Monitor (1080px3).

SO WHY DO I WANT TO UPGRADE THEN ?
Renders take approx 1:20 in time to complete (a 2 min video takes 40mins to an hour to render). Some effects politely say then cant run on this Piece Of Crap iGPU and then do nothing. When drawing masks or color grading....the vertices/handles/sliders get sluggish and drag thereby making it difficult to sometimes fine tune.

Now theres mixed opinions with folks saying it wont even be able to handle even what my i3 could. Some say it will be at least 5 times better in experience compared to my i3. Some say it doesnt even have internal graphics hardware video decoders (Ive read on some reviews and seen a chart itself that it does have internal hardware acceleration of h264...h265....VP9.....WMV......etc....decode and encode etc except AV1). They say only INTEL can give smooth performance due to Quick Sync. Yet i read elsewhere to deactivate QS as it screws up the video quality and to rely on CPU based encoding only.
Can someone here who has used this processor tell me for real wether the 5700G can handle and give me a better experience than my old system. I can afford to pick up the i7 12700 too....but triple the wattage !!! Runs hotter....so will need a spl cooler, will probably demand a higher PSU than my already new Corsair 650w. And i have to run my rig on solar panels from my roof in the day time, incoming is about 700w yes but then other home appliances ?

Last edited:
I imagine you already did, but did you took a look at what the best cpu on your current socket option would be and their price ?

If no one here as good first hand experience between the 5700G and best intel cpu that would fit in your system

Puget can help (numbers do not necessarily express everything here, as timeline smoothness is a bit subjective and so on):
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...cation=Premiere+Pro&specs=5700g#results-table
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...ation=After+Effects&specs=5700g#results-table

Now theres mixed opinions with folks saying it wont even be able to handle even what my i3 could. Some say it will be at least 5 times better in experience compared to my i3. Some say it doesnt even have internal graphics hardware video decoders (Ive read on some reviews and seen a chart itself that it does have internal hardware acceleration of h264...h265....VP9.....WMV......etc....decode and encode etc except AV1). They say only INTEL can give smooth performance due to Quick Sync. Yet i read elsewhere to deactivate QS as it screws up the video quality and to rely on CPU based encoding only.

Hmmm dual core from 2015 vs eight core from 2021. Not sure which would be better. I'm pretty sure the 5700g has hardware decode and encode and for more codecs than the i3-6100. But if not, it also has way more power to do it on the cpu.

Accelerated encoding is useful for realtime applications, but for distribution, you tend to want to do CPU encoding anyway, you can usually get better quality at a given bitrate that way.

I don't do video work, but I have a 5600g and it is clearly faster than my skylake dual core and my coffee lake quad core. As you would expect, since zen3 is a good architecture.

Best cpu in current mobo would probably be a 6700k, but that is running the same igpu at slightly higher speeds (1.15 vs 1.05ghz). That and he wants to be able to use effects that don't run on Intel HD 530 igpu.

Could be a 7700k with an Intel 630 too (add VP9 decode and HVEC10bit encode), quick look on ebay and like usual those intel k cpu kept their value really well, so not a particularly cheap upgrade.

I would compare with a 12400/13400 UHD 730 (with Av1 decode support) type system price-performance in this situation and make sure that the support for AMD igpu acceleration in abode is as good as quicksync.

New 12400 about $180, similar to a 5700G about $184 (with nice AM4 boards options too), 13400 would go for $229

Could be a 7700k with an Intel 630 too (add VP9 decode and HVEC10bit encode), quick look on ebay and like usual those intel k cpu kept their value really well, so not a particularly cheap upgrade.

I would compare with a 12400/13400 UHD 730 (with Av1 decode support) type system price-performance in this situation and make sure that the support for AMD igpu acceleration in abode is as good as quicksync.

New 12400 about $180, similar to a 5700G about $184 (with nice AM4 boards options too), 13400 would go for $229

Sorry i didnt understand. Your recommending the 5700G or saying its better to go with an alternative like 12400/13400 ?

Only this processor 5700G + the motherboard is costing me $430 equivalent. I hope it will perform at least about 2-3 times better than my measly i3. I have very simple expectations :). Only thing im worried is if it performs worse. As a general computer yes it would certainly be only much better. But with all this Adobe secret sauce QSV thing....i dont want it to stutter on the timeline.

Sorry i didnt understand. Your recommending the 5700G or saying its better to go with an alternative like 12400/13400 ?
I would compare for your specific use case (which codec you tend to use), with the older Intel® UHD Graphics 750 it was not an obvious win for the 5700G

You would have much more raw GPU power with the AMD but the way those application use quicksync is often better.

Coming from a old 6100 you will have much better performance either way, so no need to overthink it, (you can always put in a dgpu one day, later on)

I imagine you already did, but did you took a look at what the best cpu on your current socket option would be and their price ?

If no one here as good first hand experience between the 5700G and best intel cpu that would fit in your system

Puget can help (numbers do not necessarily express everything here, as timeline smoothness is a bit subjective and so on):
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...cation=Premiere+Pro&specs=5700g#results-table
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...ation=After+Effects&specs=5700g#results-table

Hi the mobo is a 250M chipset. Hardly any good options, only slight upgrade possible if i go this route, as in very old processors. And then i found this...

Intel Octa-core i9-9900K 3.6Hz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

The cost is more than if i replace the mobo processor ram everything....$610 just for the processor. All the deals are like that....low priced lame processors or medium processors priced costlier than buying a much better processor with mobo etc.

$610 just for the processor. All the deals are like that..
If you do not have an issue with used, you could look at this

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=9900k&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1, $200-$270, not super cheap, they hold value quite well, that the price of a 13400 with a warranty, quite more than a 5700G, at least before tax.

But are you sure your 250m motherboard support 9th generation intel ? ( I have been on AMD for a while, so do not know much but my feeling was 6th-7th gen support, thus my 7700k mention)
https://compatibleproducts.intel.co...veModule=Desktop Processors&pcsr_num=i9-9900K

7700k is quite old and not that strong in 2023, but compared to a 6100 it would be a significant jump

passmark: single thread 2203/ multi thread: 4150 for the 6100, the 7700k is 2,727/9,962

But a 5700G-12400 are in the 24k-20k range quite worth the upgrade, 2-3 full tier above.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there a use case for the Intel chip they are using like AV1 (not sure if even using) that the i3 can compete?
Otherwise it should be a slaughter for the 5700G for the use case of any editing/rendering.
Bonus is it will also destroy every other work load user does.

Last edited:
Is there a use case for the Intel chip they are using like AV1 (not sure if even using) that the i3 can compete?
Otherwise it should be a slaughter for the 5700G for the use case of any editing/rendering.
Bonus is it will also destroy every other work load user does.
OK so the 5700G should do well right ?

OK so the 5700G should do well right ?
Well unless there is a crazy micro use case otherwise, it is a massive step up in every dynamic.
Yes advanced built in GPU that is fully modern in all respects. 8 core CPU.

I would compare for your specific use case (which codec you tend to use), with the older Intel® UHD Graphics 750 it was not an obvious win for the 5700G

You would have much more raw GPU power with the AMD but the way those application use quicksync is often better.

Coming from a old 6100 you will have much better performance either way, so no need to overthink it, (you can always put in a dgpu one day, later on)

Yes i will add a good DGPU after some time. For now if the 5700G surpasses my i3 ill be happy bec even my i3 is doing all my editing and Ae work with just the iGPU.

Ive watched all this TECHNOTICE guy's videos....but he just puts 1 stream of raw footage on the timeline and shows scrub performance etc which is meaningless....no real editor edits with 1 track and no effects/color grade/transitions. Nothing but 1 stream of footage on the timeline and he will scrub and say "see its playing....only 5 dropped frames" ;)

Hi the mobo is a 250M chipset. Hardly any good options, only slight upgrade possible if i go this route, as in very old processors. And then i found this...

Intel Octa-core i9-9900K 3.6Hz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

The cost is more than if i replace the mobo processor ram everything....$610 just for the processor. All the deals are like that....low priced lame processors or medium processors priced costlier than buying a much better processor with mobo etc.
It's not compatible with your motherboard. One of the many engineers on this forum could tell you why.
Just know that with your current motherboard you are limited to just the 6 and 7 series CPU's.

Quick edit. The reason was probably money.

It's not compatible with your motherboard. One of the many engineers on this forum could tell you why.
Just know that with your current motherboard you are limited to just the 6 and 7 series CPU's.

Quick edit. The reason was probably money.
But i dont intend to use the B250M mobo.....when i said 5700G it definitely means im going for a compatible 550M mobo.

The reason was money meaning ?

The 5700G would be about 3 times better than the i3 is what you mean by 3 tier above ?
I used tier as a level or grade, not really as a multiple, there so many generation in between that there many step that would offer an obvious different experience.

Say a 7700k (9663 passmark) would be a clear different tier above your 6100 (4150 passmark), a Ryzen 2700 (15746) a clear step above the 8700k and a 5700G (24673 passmark) an other tier above a 2600.

4150 (you) -> 9663 (7700k) -> 15476 (2700x) -> 24673 (5700G)

Isn't Adobe more designed around Intel? Wouldn't it be prudent to maybe get a 13400 or something instead of a 5700g? The 5700g is a great CPU, but is it the best CPU for your usecase?

Isn't Adobe more designed around Intel? Wouldn't it be prudent to maybe get a 13400 or something instead of a 5700g? The 5700g is a great CPU, but is it the best CPU for your usecase?
Yeah thats exactly what im worried about and the reason for the OP. Bec im also worried that the R7 might be a great processor in handling multitasking and all that for browser windows and multiple apps like excel word all open simultaneously etc. But just bec it lacks that QSV tuning if it lacks on the Pr and Ae timeline ill be stumped with this. That too considering im investing in a system which is ONLY used for this. No gaming....excel....nothing....stand alone video edit system (thats how ive always kept it).....only the OS and these video programs will run on this system so im not even exploiting it in other ways, so the investment is considerably higher from a returns POV. I have a separate system for all my regular jobs.

I think you meant to say Nvidia vs. AMD. Intel on its own has no great bump. That said Adobe suite is one of the more equal AMD/Nvidia video apps. A lot of other/most GFX apps are Nvidia or bust. AMD performs well here.
And for clarification NOTHING is designed around Intel GFX LoL!

I think you meant to say Nvidia vs. AMD. Intel on its own has no great bump. That said Adobe suite is one of the more equal AMD/Nvidia video apps. A lot of other/most GFX apps are Nvidia or bust. AMD performs well here.
Funky > your signature specs show a 5700X.....have you ever used your system for Pr or Ae work ? How do the codecs perform ?

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html
  • For After Effects users who are also running Premiere Pro, consider Intel Core i7 or Core i9 with Quick Sync hardware acceleration for H.264 and HEVC formats. Use with at least 32GB of memory.
i7-7700 (non-K) goes for $85-100 on ebay. I would upgrade the CPU first since it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade. You already have 64GB of RAM and SSDs. Adding a GPU (Nvidia/AMD) may be an option if the CPU upgrade doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
That seem strange to me, Adobe take great advantage of quicksync:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ries-2242/#Intel_Quick_Sync_Performance_Boost
pic_disp.jpg

You may not think that the CPU would make a big difference here since Premiere Pro is also able to utilize the GPU to decode this type of footage, but having Quick Sync on these Intel processors seems to give a nice boost to performance in the latest version of Premiere Pro. Because of this, the Intel 12th Gen CPUs are close to 2x, or even 3x, faster than the AMD Ryzen 5000 series.

Has in the video above often a 11900k will beat a 5700g cpu in Abode product because of being more optimized for QuickSync.

:ROFLMAO:
That seem strange to me, Adobe take great advantage of quicksync:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ries-2242/#Intel_Quick_Sync_Performance_Boost
View attachment 569550

You may not think that the CPU would make a big difference here since Premiere Pro is also able to utilize the GPU to decode this type of footage, but having Quick Sync on these Intel processors seems to give a nice boost to performance in the latest version of Premiere Pro. Because of this, the Intel 12th Gen CPUs are close to 2x, or even 3x, faster than the AMD Ryzen 5000 series.

Has in the video above often a 11900k will beat a 5700g cpu in Abode product because of being more optimized for QuickSync.
Any graphs that directly compare a 5700G with an equivalently priced Intel? My thoughts are the 8 cores of the 5700G and the far superior GPU would hold its own at its price especially in a wide variety of tasks in both Prem and AE. But..been wrong before.

:ROFLMAO:

Any graphs that directly compare a 5700G with an equivalently priced Intel? My thoughts are the 8 cores of the 5700G and the far superior GPU would hold its own at its price especially in a wide variety of tasks in both Prem and AE. But..been wrong before.
The issue will be quite does the format you are working with is well supported or not by Quicksync, unlike the 5700G the GPU can fall off more.

You can take a quick look here:
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...cation=premiere+pro&specs=5700g#results-table
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...ation=after+effects&specs=5700g#results-table

vs
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...cation=premiere+pro&specs=12400#results-table
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...ation=after+effects&specs=12400#results-table

You tend to see score level on the puget bench with a 12400 ($180) that the 5700G ($183) do not reach

The issue will be quite does the format you are working with is well supported or not by Quicksync, unlike the 5700G the GPU can fall off more.

You can take a quick look here:
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...cation=premiere+pro&specs=5700g#results-table
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...ation=after+effects&specs=5700g#results-table

vs
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...cation=premiere+pro&specs=12400#results-table
https://benchmarks.pugetsystems.com...ation=after+effects&specs=12400#results-table

You tend to see score level on the puget bench with a 12400 ($180) that the 5700G ($183) do not reach
Thanks for the info. Quicksync does provide a substatial boost if used. Is this consistant across Adobe including AE like OP uses? Is is common not to use QS accelerated workflow/codecs? If so then what is the performance comparison then?

Yes id like to know is Quicksync actually being used when we use Pr and Ae ?

Since my i3 seems smooth on the timeline (as long as preview is set to 1/8).....is there a way to tell if my current i3 rig is actually using QSV. If not and only using the cpu cores and iGPU normal codecs, then its a no brainer i can just get the cooler running 5700G.

Another side note is that i want to use only Win 10 Pro and i heard INTEL i7 12700 etc needs intel thread director (a program which is only available in win 11) which can actually use the entire 8p and 4e cores. is this true first of all. Imagine getting this hot running power guzzler and then finding out it wont run to max efficiency without a AIO cooler or Win 11 or both.

At the end of this it only turned to be statistics discussion. Nobody seems to have a 5700G or even slight different shade of that series who can say "Hey Pr and Ae runs smooth on it, im using it daily" thats all i need. But it seems so elusive. So that means nobody worth his salt is using a Ryzen to edit on ? And yet the AMD company touts their 5700G as 'excelling' in Video Editing on their trademark hexagon comparison chart with an equivalent INTEL.

Your frustration is partially warranted. I'd love to be proven wrong immediately. Because I doubt that you will get such a direct assurance on these boards.

However.

The fact of the matter is that you will have an uptick in performance with the 5700G from the accompanying platform upgrades. The same will happen going from a sixth gen i3 to a tenth and higher gen i5.

The largest unknown in your case is that you have made do with your current setup for so long. To me that means that your build is rock solid and showing it's age. Until you break in whatever new system you choose, you may not even be satisfied with using it independently from benchmark performance.
For instance, your optimized file output could be entirely different because of the platform differences.
Shits weird like that sometimes.

Back