Ryzen1700/GTX1070 white theme, Canada build

Zhyn_exe

n00b
I'm looking to build a complete new system, coming from a i7-920/GTX670 that I really didn't feel the need to upgrade, but got a little melted in a fire.

Will be for general use, gaming, streaming. I'm hoping it will last as long as my 920 system.
PC parts are priced around $3400 right now so I'd like to stick around there.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($397.93 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($136.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC - MX4 4g Thermal Paste ($9.43 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard ($241.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($205.78 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($251.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($598.48 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($136.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2703-GS 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($892.48 @ Amazon Canada)
Other: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro, stream and record in 1080p60, superior low latency technology, H.264 hardware encoding, PCIe ($229.99)
Other: Edifier e25 Luna Eclipse BLUETOOTH 2.0 SPEAKER Set with Electronic Crossover and Dedicated Power Amplifier to Each Tweeter and Bass Drivers - White ($262.48 @ Amazon Canada)
Other: Standing Desk, Manual Crank Adjustable Height Sit-Stand Frame (black) ($299.99)
Other: Table Top Rectangular Reversible Laminate For Desk, Office, Restaurant, Bar, Or Home (White/Maple, 60x30) ($109.99)
Total: $4024.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-16

Some of these parts could be replaced with cheaper versions, but I'm intent on keeping the white/black theme.

1700 seems like a good bet for price/longevity.

Mobo could be downgraded to a B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC, but I like the idea of the included m.2 wireless and the white aesthetic on the Killer.

Monitor will be a 27", 1440p, 144hz, IPS. For gaming/general use. My three options are all the same price in Canada, Acer XB271HU, AOC AG271QG, ViewSonic XG2703-GS. I've leaned towards the viewsonic due to looks and some vaguely better reviews.
I'll pick up the cheapest/smallest IPS for a second vertical monitor at some point.

Might go with a 1080 instead, but I can't really find a decent white themed card :). Also super expensive in Canada.

Cheapest available NVME I could find. I realize that the real world gains would be minimal for games and my use. But I want it anyway...

PSU looks like the right wattage, enough to run fanless at idle I think. might upgrade to the 650 just in case.

I'll be picking up the new Logitech G603 and G613 when available, I have a wireless keyboard/mouse that I'll try and use for boot, otherwise ill grab the cheapest keyboard/mouse combo.

Any recommendations or flaws in the parts I have picked?

get a full retail copy of windows so its transferable,
1070 prob wont get you to 1440p/144 unless you drop settings,
i would highly suggest 600w+ as you don't want to have "just enough".

other than that, looks good. if youre near a memory express and they have these parts, they'll price match online prices. so you can buy local in case theres any issues.

and yeah CAN prices suck but our dollar is going up so hopefully things will get cheaper, i hope....

that should get you close depending on what youre playing. don't go nuts on AA and it should be gtg or leave it up and let gsync handle things. i like seasonic psus and the same price for +100w is a good deal.

ps: make sure you post pics.

:) Hopefully everything is functional. Will test today.
GPU came in a box with no packing, there was about 2" of space on 3 sides :(

DoEMT-NsQYqs5gUDxufd8w.jpg

The GPU appears to be in the retail box which means it should be fine during shipping. That box was probably just to cover up the fact that you got an expensive item shipped to you.

With that being said come help the [H] BOINC team with that new sweet ass rig!

I spent a day troubleshooting why I couldn't get windows to install. I checked the thing I should have checked first, last. One stick of ram was dead. Any advice on how to proceed? I'm googling now. Not sure If i have to return the set to amazon, or RMA through corsair.
Edit: Did a RMA through Amazon, they will send a new set, and I have 30 days to return the old ones. I''ll be able to set up my pc and get it running with the 1 stick until the replacements arrive.

Looks good though. Ordered some 2 more deep cool TR-120 fans to match the case better.
uvmzLJ-BR0apDEwdVQqe7g.jpg

NwVgWNWRSFmGYyceAkk6zg.jpg

mj_lwQjyRFaupqIqhH3qFg.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking rig. I'm interested in knowing what kind of performance it can do in BOINC, specifically World Community Grid. Mind setting up WCG BOINC and running it for a day or two at the least to see what she does? Not only will you help me decide on my next build, but you'll also help the [H]ardOCP BOINC team.

This link will take you to the sign up page where you'll automatically join the team. Just download the BOINC software after you create your account and let her rip.
https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=993628&teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1

I'll look into it tomorrow, its pretty late here already and I /just/ got windows installed (and it's not validating my key, yay more trouble shooting).
I have no idea what BOINC is but im guessing it's some kind of communal cpu share thing. Not sure if it matters that im only running on 8GB of ram instead of 16.

Also got an email from Amazon saying my rma was approved, they are sending another ram kit and it should be here on the 12th, and then I'll send back my current kit.

Windows can be a real bitch sometimes though. BOINC is indeed a collection of distributing projects such as WCG. RAM, for this particular project, doesn't matter as much. 8GB is plenty.

Amazon is good with returns like that. You'd be waiting forever for an RMA from G.Skill.

Also, welcome to [H]ardForum!

Have you been able to get your memory up in speed? When i was using that board i could not get above 2933, switched to the MSI carbon board and worked right out of the box. I was using the samsung B die 3200, what speed is the corsair you are using?

Won't be doing any adjustments/overclocking until I get my new set of ram in a few days. I'm using a 3200 corsair vengeance LPX, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W, hynix.

Have you been able to get your memory up in speed? When i was using that board i could not get above 2933, switched to the MSI carbon board and worked right out of the box. I was using the samsung B die 3200, what speed is the corsair you are using?

2933 is what I was able to get with my memory, at default xmp profile settings. I fiddled with the timings and volts but I couldn't get anything to work a 3200 (also I'm not very familiar with any of the ram settings).

Currently stress testing at 1.8 GHz @ 1.325v. Tried a few different 1.9 settings but nothing would boot.
Edit: meant 3.8. Had to change to 1.35 and is now passing 2 hour stress tests in Aida

Last edited:
2933 is what I was able to get with my memory, at default xmp profile settings. I fiddled with the timings and volts but I couldn't get anything to work a 3200 (also I'm not very familiar with any of the ram settings).

Currently stress testing at 1.8 GHz @ 1.325v. Tried a few different 1.9 settings but nothing would boot.
i hope you mean 3.8 lol, yeah i never had any luck with the killer board other than 2933, it was weird for a period of time asrock changed it to say it supported 3200+ and now i see its back to 2933. The weirdest thing is i have a b350m pro4 from them in my plex server and that memory has no issues running 3200

Back