Ryzen Zen 2/X570 - any 4x4 Quad Memory Improvements?

Lumpus

Limp Gawd
Early days still...

But has anyone heard any rumors about better quad-channel memory support?

For Ryzen 1000/2000 series, anything above dual wasn't optimal - is this still the case?

/optimally, would like to add another pair of 8GB TridentZ's to my next upgrade plans

Nope AM4 does dual channel only , this does not change.

Btw if you ment that configuring those 4 modules had problems then you did not buy the right one or used the right settings. 4 sticks of ram worked very well on Ryzen from the start....
(it required more voltage and a better resistance setting)

Last edited:
X570 isn't a replacement for Threadripper, unless your definition of hedt is just CPU core CT on essentially a gaming build.

4-DIMM support may actually be worse on X570 if statements from buildzoid that all of the boards will sport a daisy chain topology turn out to be true.

Depends on why the board didn't support 4 DIMMs. I think the memory controller will be better on Zen2. But I haven't found Zen (+) memory controllers to be all that consistent. My 2700X ran 4 DIMMs at 3200Mhz Cas 14 (CH7). My 1600 won't run 3000Mhz memory at even 2933 (have to back it down to 2800Mhz) on an admittedly weaker motherboard.

Nope AM4 does dual channel only , this does not change.

Btw if you ment that configuring those 4 modules had problems then you did not buy the right one or used the right settings. 4 sticks of ram worked very well on Ryzen from the start....
(it required more voltage and a better resistance setting)

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. I was actually doing this with a variety of AM4 motherboards from the beginning. While it was always possible to run four modules, it usually resulted in reduced memory clocks. Especially in the early days of the X370 chipset. It also depends on the AGESA code version. For example; With AGESA 1.0.0.4, AMD only supported DDR4 2667MHz speeds using four modules and up to DDR4 3200MHz speeds with two. Obviously, depending on the motherboard, BIOS implmentation, memory and settings you could sometimes achieve a great deal more, but this was a problem from the start. X399 and X470 were far better at launch than X370. Even so, using DDR4 3200MHz modules in a recent X470 build I did for someone, I found it was only stable at 3000MHz. Anymore than that was problematic. That was using G.Skill FlareX modules which have usually worked exceptionally well for me. Meanwhile, I've taken my own system up to DDR4 3400MHz using four modules. However, that's Threadripper, not an X470 and a standard Ryzen CPU.

There are lots of reasons for all of these issues, but Ryzen's biggest weakness is its ability to clock RAM very high. A problem which has always been compounded by adding more modules into the mix. This is why AMD has stated that this is an area of focused improvement for X570 and Zen 2.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. I was actually doing this with a variety of AM4 motherboards from the beginning. While it was always possible to run four modules, it usually resulted in reduced memory clocks. Especially in the early days of the X370 chipset. It also depends on the AGESA code version. For example; With AGESA 1.0.0.4, AMD only supported DDR4 2667MHz speeds using four modules and up to DDR4 3200MHz speeds with two. Obviously, depending on the motherboard, BIOS implmentation, memory and settings you could sometimes achieve a great deal more, but this was a problem from the start. X399 and X470 were far better at launch than X370. Even so, using DDR4 3200MHz modules in a recent X470 build I did for someone, I found it was only stable at 3000MHz. Anymore than that was problematic. That was using G.Skill FlareX modules which have usually worked exceptionally well for me. Meanwhile, I've taken my own system up to DDR4 3400MHz using four modules. However, that's Threadripper, not an X470 and a standard Ryzen CPU.

There are lots of reasons for all of these issues, but Ryzen's biggest weakness is its ability to clock RAM very high. A problem which has always been compounded by adding more modules into the mix. This is why AMD has stated that this is an area of focused improvement for X570 and Zen 2.
There were plenty of people getting 4 ram sticks working (at rated speed most of them Samsung B die) on X370 crosshair VI hero. And it took some settings to get it to work that it did.

And yet the way X570 works with memory is daisy chaining supposedly for most if not all motherboards. That has its own problems with 4 sticks ...

There were plenty of people getting 4 ram sticks working (at rated speed most of them Samsung B die) on X370 crosshair VI hero. And it took some settings to get it to work that it did.

And yet the way X570 works with memory is daisy chaining supposedly for most if not all motherboards. That has its own problems with 4 sticks ...

And there were plenty of people who couldn't, most of them weren't using Samsung B die RAM. I think I got one X370 motherboard to do that. The fact that it took work to make that happen is your first clue that 4xDIMMs north of DDR4 2666MHz speeds was problematic. I can't remember if it was the Hero or the Formula, but the Crosshair VI Hero (I think) was the one Kyle and I killed 3 of. It's also the board that between the two of us could only get working properly with one specific set of modules we had on hand. It was a piece of junk. It is the only model to die on us more than once during a review in the 14 years I've been reviewing motherboards. Its quite possible that X570 will have its own issues with using four modules. We'll have to wait and see on that. I hear what your saying about daisy chaining memory, and if that's true it doesn't sound good. However, we'll have to see why it is they did that and what the actual result ends up being if it is or isn't true.

It is common knowledge that RAM timings/speeds, compatibility, and quad channel usage were Ryzen issues from the start. That's not saying Ryzen is a bad part, but that was a weakness of the first gen and the associated motherboards. Merely stating the truth isn't knocking the product. It's important we acknowledge issues, as AMD took notice and Zen+ and second gen motherboards really improved on this.

Saying "many" didn't have issues doesn't change the past, or facts.

I want 64GB of RAM and have been scouring the net looking for new reviews of 4x16 memory on Ryzen 2 (preferably with an x570 motherboard). No real luck so far. I have an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero on the way and hopefully a Ryzen 3900x soon as well. The motherboard uses a Daisy Chain memory topology which (from reading) is inherently bad for anything more than 2x DIMMs. Others have pointed out how memory frequency and/or timings dip when 4 sticks are added. The Crosshair VIII MB does have proprietary memory tuning (OptiMem III) - maybe this can help smooth out some of the bumps - who knows. Sadly there is no QVL for this particular motherboard just yet: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-WI-FI/HelpDesk_QVL/

If anyone has any links or hands-on experience with this setup, I'd love to hear your story.

Edit:
I found this from extide's post. If I can get 2x32 sticks while keeping my arms and legs, I'd be delighted!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Rjlo7T56U
Overclocking 2x32GB(M378A4G43MB1-CTD) of Samsung DDR4 on the Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX

Last edited:
Back