Ryzen with Vive wireless - working great

mord

Limp Gawd
HTC seems to not be talking or updating $&#@ after acknowledging there are issues with some ryzen systems and Vive wireless. Having worked in development many years at big companies I get that, but it is still frustrating. Maybe my recent upgrade and experience can be helpful to others.

I was rocking an I5 3750 oc to 4, or 4.1 if house was cool. Had a 1080ti and 8 gig of memory. Vive standard. Worked pretty good.

I acquired a second 1080ti cheaply, and ran them SLI. Moved to a 4k Samsung 40" display. Yay, 4k gaming. At 4k with 1080ti sli, the processor did fine still. With most games. Particularly the 3 games made in the last 5 years that can actually use sli... Pro tip, currently I find sli ain't worth it unless it's pretty much free. In VR, so few games use it.

Then I got a Vive wireless. Cord free!

Wait... That looks a little pixelated. Like... Atari 2600. And 3 fps. Wth.

I runs sys monitor tools.

Graphics cards usage level = phoning it in. No joke. Looked like I was running 640x480 from how low the cards were taxed.

Cpu usage level = child labor sweat shop utilization

So... time to upgrade. Apparently the Vive wireless really wants some extra threads and cpu time.

I wanted to jump over to AMD but had read all the posts on bad experiences with Ryzen and Vive wireless. I read HTC support and forums. Wow, that was unhelpful.

After reading lots of threads I picked up that it seemed much more like motherboard or chip issues and not processor. A few specific boards don't seem to have issues.

Asus Crosshair VI, lots of issues. Asus Crosshair VII didn't have any complaints. Different chipsets, but the same chipsets didn't have the same results on other manufacturers boards, and sometimes different boards on the same brand.

It did seem Asrock boards do pretty well with Vive wireless. X470 does better than X3xx. Those are not 100% though. Best bet is to look for someone with the exact board you are thinking about and confirm it works with Vive wireless.

I went with a Ryzen 2700x, Asus crosshair VII hero (non wireless) and it worked with 0 changes. Wireless adapter in the first 1x pcie port. Used 16GB gskill mem. Played about 20 different VR games and put in ~40 hours over several days of a few people playing. No issues, and it looks as good as wired. Really, it looks great. Drastic improvement.

Tldr: Asus Crosshair VII, Ryzen 2700x works great with Vive wireless for me. Huge improvement in visual quality and performance updating from I5 3750 @4k.

EDIT - spelling and minor typo and clarification fix.

Last edited:
I have been dealing with Vive support on my recently purchased vive pro starter kit that came with the basestation 1.0 and have had the worst experiance woking with them. No advanced RMA. they kept telling me if i had buyers remorse to return it all when all i wanted was one base station replaced. that was a month ago

There doesn't seem to be much love for HTC over at reddit's r/vive. One of my wands simply doesn't work as well as the other. The vive pro audio refuses to work from time to time, requiring Win10 reboot.

wow, sorry to hear that luke and zorbe. I've got the standard vive 1.0. I did upgrade to the audio strap. I've had the vive since right after it's public launch. used the crap out of it. Wore out the HMD face pad, and the elastic on the strap was stretched out. The elastic strap still worked, just not much stretchy in it. I blame my fat melon for that. Not that I think the Vive is perfect, it sure isn't. I'm hoping VR continues to improve on the high end, not devolve into something that's just fast and easy to play phone games on.

Glad I haven't had to talk to them yet. I kept eyeballing a Ryzen system and all the posts about issues with Vive wireless. HTC finally posted there was a problem and that they were changing the requirements right then. Took a while for them to add the disclaimer. We are all still waiting for a fix or guidance. Thankfully (?) all my VR issues have been individual games, not the system itself. Other than the Vive wireless being a heck of a CPU hog...
Not any REAL hardware problems with mine. We had some extra audio headbands that would not clip down on the ears. Took SIX MONTHS for them to get back on the issue. They made it good and apologized, but damn...

There doesn't seem to be much love for HTC over at reddit's r/vive. One of my wands simply doesn't work as well as the other. The vive pro audio refuses to work from time to time, requiring Win10 reboot.
xorbe, that audio thing is a pain in the ass everytime i launch steam vr i have to turn the link box off and on at least 1 more time after turning it all on to start to make sure nvidia high def audio shows up and not the shitty speakers

xorbe, that audio thing is a pain in the ass everytime i launch steam vr i have to turn the link box off and on at least 1 more time after turning it all on to start to make sure nvidia high def audio shows up and not the shitty speakers

Another trick is going into settings - audio - advanced, and then toggle between 44100 and 48000 a couple times, usually one of them will work. I believe 48000 is native but then it's usually 44100 that works, but then the Windows chime sounds sped up. Can't win all around.

It did seem Asrock boards do pretty well with Vive wireless. X470 does better than X3xx. Those are not 100% though. Best bet is to look for someone with the exact board you are thinking about and confirm it works with Vive wireless.
I had ASRock B450 mITX board with a 2700x. Never got it to recognize the wigig card. the card got power and glowed blue, but windows never recognized it no matter what i changed in BIOS etc.

Full disclaimer, I was trying something that was pretty unsupported, but still didn't work. I was trying a m2 to pcie 4x adapter for a small form factor VR build. Others had better luck on the SFF front.

I keep hoping they fix it and I will jump in again. but I'm not holding my breath.

I had ASRock B450 mITX board with a 2700x. Never got it to recognize the wigig card. the card got power and glowed blue, but windows never recognized it no matter what i changed in BIOS etc.

Full disclaimer, I was trying something that was pretty unsupported, but still didn't work. I was trying a m2 to pcie 4x adapter for a small form factor VR build. Others had better luck on the SFF front.

I keep hoping they fix it and I will jump in again. but I'm not holding my breath.
Switched to Intel, and it works great out of the box. Unreal that this passed QA (assuming they have QA at HTC) before being released.

Back