Ryzen stutter on desktop, not TPM related?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
So I finally received my replacement Asus X570 TUF motherboard and 5800X from AMD after RMA-ing them for a blue screen crash while gaming that I couldn't fix for months, and now I have a different issue (go figure).

There is now a 100% consistent 1hz "stutter" all the time no matter what. Like if you drag the cursor slowly, every 1 second it will pause briefly and then resume. Games, programs, videos, EVERYTHING does this. It happens from the second the machine hits the desktop and never stops.

I thought it might be the TPM bug, but its disabled and the machine is running Windows 10 so it is not required. I have tried two RAM kits, XMP enabled and not. Tested all 4 slots, tried forcing Gen 3 PCIE, disabled C-states and PBO/CPB, etc. Anything I can think of including different USB accessories and trying all of the ports. Disabled onboard wifi, sound, bluetooth. I can't find any way to effect this problem. BIOS is the latest one from last month.

I also checked LatencyMon and this system is running the lowest latency I've ever seen using this program with no spikes at all.

I'm really at a loss here, I was putting this thing together to sell since I no longer need it but I can't reasonably sell it with this issue. Anyone have a clue?

I tried to record it but my phone doesn't capture a high enough frame rate to really see it, but in use its extremely obvious and very, very annoying.

Last edited:
Sorry, just going to throw ideas out there... Try booting a live linux usb to rule out storage causing that issue?

Maybe downgrade the BIOS?

Sorry, just going to throw ideas out there... Try booting a live linux usb to rule out storage causing that issue?

Maybe downgrade the BIOS?

I have two different m.2 drives I tried, originally I had a 128GB I stole from a cheap laptop I have that has a broken charge plug but I ordered a 512GB inland one from Amazon when it was on sale for like $37. This is really baffling to me, I've never seen anything so consistent but with no evidence of any problem lol

However, maybe it is an OS problem? I'll give it a try right now.

I have 2 Ryzen systems running, both using Asus boards, both have Zen 3, none have stutters. Both running 11, both have TPM enabled.

I have 2 Ryzen systems running, both using Asus boards, both have Zen 3, none have stutters. Both running 11, both have TPM enabled.

Well before I sent the CPU and board in for RMA they had no problems with the same components except bluescreening while gaming which was easily repeatable. I got them back a while ago and just never got around to setting up a machine. I've had tons of Ryzen systems and built many more and have never seen this particular problem.

The TPM stutter bug happens only maybe once a hour type of thing. What you're getting is something completely different.

Can you measure DPC latency and try to narrow down what is causing it?

The TPM stutter bug happens only maybe once a hour type of thing. What you're getting is something completely different.

Can you measure DPC latency and try to narrow down what is causing it?

DPC latency is almost nonexistent. I let Latencymon run for like 3 hours and the highest I saw was 83µs.

I brought out a Windows 11 drive and it has the same problems, but I ran ubuntu off of a USB stick and its smooth as butter. So now it appears to be a driver/Windows issue and not a hardware problem? I'll keep fiddling with it for a while.

Maybe Windows pulling some bad drivers and overwriting your manually installed ones? I know this one happens. Just today, one user at work had Win11 uninstall the Ryzen iGPU drivers on their laptop causing external monitors to not show up.

I do vaguely remember there is an option or maybe registry edit to disable windows from pulling driver updates via windows update. I'd say try to install a copy of Win10/11 without connecting to the internet and try manually installing drivers from there maybe via USB?

Maybe Windows pulling some bad drivers and overwriting your manually installed ones? I know this one happens. Just today, one user at work had Win11 uninstall the Ryzen iGPU drivers on their laptop causing external monitors to not show up.

I do vaguely remember there is an option or maybe registry edit to disable windows from pulling driver updates via windows update. I'd say try to install a copy of Win10/11 without connecting to the internet and try manually installing drivers from there maybe via USB?

I don't think so because I don't have the computer connected to the internet when I install Windows. It was doing this before any Windows updates happened.

Reactions: mda
like this
Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from their website? They just released a new set a few weeks ago.

Also, I had a similar problem that turned out to be caused by my Corsair mouse and keyboard of all things - I had to reduce the polling rate from 1,000 to 500 on both devices.

Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from their website? They just released a new set a few weeks ago.

Also, I had a similar problem that turned out to be caused by my Corsair mouse and keyboard of all things - I had to reduce the polling rate from 1,000 to 500 on both devices.

Yes sir I have. I downloaded them and put them on a USB yesterday when I decided to troubleshoot this. Literally a completely fresh install, never online, only the basic drivers installed and the problem is already there. I have tried many mouse and keyboard combos and all the ports. I even tried PS/2 because this motherboard has a combo port.

Just throwing this out there...

Try re-flashing the bios and then clearing the CMOS via mainboard jumper (not "Default Settings" and save)

Asus X570 TUF

I've got the x570 TUF WiFi Pro I have no stutters - I was having that random all USB disconnect momentarily bug, but combo of latest firmware and Win 11 updates I'm sitting easy for now

Use this thread index, to make sure you have the latest drivers installed for stuff not covered by AMD's chipset drivers. That pretty much leaves the "ASMedia SATA/USB", realtek audio, wifi, LAN.

If its still an issue, then I would look up the registry hack to reveal the SSD power options and try setting it to "DIPM".

I had an Asus B550 board where Windows would freez up for 5 - 8 seconds, several times per day. It turned out to be a quirk with how the board managed SSD power state. Setting it to DIPM cured the issue. The same SSD's work fine in other boards newer and older (all Intel).

So I finally had time to get back to this, I suspected the "renewed" Asus board I got might be the problem so I borrowed an MSI B550-A Pro board that was BNIB from a buddy that was saving it for a build. Reinstalled Windows 10 with no network, no drivers, no nothing. One stick of RAM, basic RX 560 graphics card I had laying around.

The issue went away on the desktop until I installed the AMD drivers. Chipset and GPU drivers only with no other windows updates at all and no network connection and the mouse is right back to hitching and stuttering, it doesn't seem like much in the video but it makes it hard to even click on anything as it will stutter just before you reach your target causing you to misclick. It is very, very, VERY annoying. I'm still totally baffled by this because I ran the 5800X/X570 combo since January 2021 with no problems until it started crashing and I got them RMA'd. At this point its an entirely different machine, nothing on it is the same as it was before.

I'm thinking now to NOT install AMD drivers and let Windows do it and see if that makes any difference.

So I finally had time to get back to this, I suspected the "renewed" Asus board I got might be the problem so I borrowed an MSI B550-A Pro board that was BNIB from a buddy that was saving it for a build. Reinstalled Windows 10 with no network, no drivers, no nothing. One stick of RAM, basic RX 560 graphics card I had laying around.

The issue went away on the desktop until I installed the AMD drivers. Chipset and GPU drivers only with no other windows updates at all and no network connection and the mouse is right back to hitching and stuttering, it doesn't seem like much in the video but it makes it hard to even click on anything as it will stutter just before you reach your target causing you to misclick. It is very, very, VERY annoying. I'm still totally baffled by this because I ran the 5800X/X570 combo since January 2021 with no problems until it started crashing and I got them RMA'd. At this point its an entirely different machine, nothing on it is the same as it was before.

I'm thinking now to NOT install AMD drivers and let Windows do it and see if that makes any difference.

Sounds legit to me! Tell us how it goes.

1649360658316.jpg

This is how I feel right now. I figured it out. I noticed it was pretty smooth with the generic AMD drivers, and I went to change the refresh rate on the monitor as is my habit. My spare is an absolute turd of a BenQ esports monitor, the XL2540 which is a 1080p 240hz screen with probably the worst color palette of any monitor made after color monitors were a thing. Its so terrible I can't even describe it. Anyways, when I set the refresh to 240hz the stuttering immediately starts. Set it back to 120hz or any other number, smooth as silk.

I changed the DP cable with an HDMI and it stays the same, so I grabbed my 3070ti out of my main rig and moved it over and sure enough, stutter city at 240hz. Guess that screen is going to be a 120hz display until it finally dies.

TL;DR: I spent months troubleshooting because my BenQ screen is a piece of shit.

View attachment 465748

This is how I feel right now. I figured it out. I noticed it was pretty smooth with the generic AMD drivers, and I went to change the refresh rate on the monitor as is my habit. My spare is an absolute turd of a BenQ esports monitor, the XL2540 which is a 1080p 240hz screen with probably the worst color palette of any monitor made after color monitors were a thing. Its so terrible I can't even describe it. Anyways, when I set the refresh to 240hz the stuttering immediately starts. Set it back to 120hz or any other number, smooth as silk.

I changed the DP cable with an HDMI and it stays the same, so I grabbed my 3070ti out of my main rig and moved it over and sure enough, stutter city at 240hz. Guess that screen is going to be a 120hz display until it finally dies.

TL;DR: I spent months troubleshooting because my BenQ screen is a piece of shit.
Oddly enough, I had this too. In my case it was another decent 1080P 144hz screen, paired with a really nice 1440P 120hz screen. Mixing them with AMD went... poorly. If I turned off the 1080 screen, everything went normally. Wish I'd seen this sooner.

I use a Strix B550-XE with my 5900X. I am running an older bios, and I do not install any AMD chipset/CPU driver. I just use the ones from Microsoft. I haven't used a driver from AMD since I ditched my 3600XT. You don't need them. And I have no stuttering. Just reliable smoothness. No quirks, no glitches, nothing.. like running an Intel.

Back