Ryzen - SMT enabled - Problem running Ashes of Singularity - Escalation DX12 benchmark - CTD.

funks

Limp Gawd
Ashes of Singularity - Escalation (v2.3 latest) - when SMT mode is enabled in the BIOS, the DX12 benchmark crashes to the desktop (after running for a bit), DX11 mode is unaffected. If I disable SMT mode on the BIOS, the DX12 benchmark completes just fine without issues.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: Asrock Taichi X370 (with V2.4 UEFI) - also happened on my Gigabyte AB350-GAMING 3. CPU: RYZEN 1700X Memory: 32GB DDR4 (2133 MT/s) GPU: EVGA GTX1080TI (also happens on GTX1070 FE) Driver: 384.76 OS: Windows 10 x64 (OS BUILD 15063.413) - running AMD Chipset 17.10 drivers and the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Execute Ashes of Singularity - Escalation
2) In Video Settings, make sure it's using DX12 mode then Restart
3) Try running the built-in benchmark using "GPU Focus" Scenario. Make sure it says DX12 model, and that 16 logical processors are listed in the CPU section.
4) Run benchmark.

Expected Behavior:

Benchmark Completes

Actual Behavior:

Application Crashes to Desktop consistently when SMT is enabled.

Additional Observations:

Cleanly installed windows, ran Intel Burn Test, Memtest86, Prime95 stress test for 8 hours without any issues. Tried both Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3, and my current board (after clean reinstall) but the problem keeps occurring when SMT mode is enabled. HWInfo64 shows temps are good at Prime95 Load (Tctl is at 68.8C, and TDie at 48.8C)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Try looping the demo on the X370 platform without SMT and see if it will still crash.

If you are testing with SMT enabled try getting rid of sound if that is playing at the same time.

Sup guys, just an update.. Asrock just released the P3.0 version of the UEFI which comes with AGESA 1.0.0.6a - I can now enable SMT without the the DX12 benchmark crashing on me (which happened consistently on the previous version P2.4 which came with 1.0.0.6)
Well looky there. Good thing it is fixed for sure.

How new is the install? Figured overclocking or program install/uninstall may have given you a registry stub problem.

How new is the install? Figured overclocking or program install/uninstall may have given you a registry stub problem.

It's not any third party program, reinstalled windows today and just did the following

1) Reinstalled Windows 10 Creators Edition cleanly from USB
2) Allowed windows update to run and install updates
3) Installed Ryzen Chipset 17.10 drivers
4) Installed NVIDIA 384.76 drivers
5) Disabled Windows 10 game mode
6) Installed Steam and Downloaded AOTS - Escalation
7) Ran app, set Graphics Mode to DX12
8) Restarted app
9) Ran Benchmark

crashed to desktop ..

Last edited:
I tried the new v2.4 update for AOTS:Singularity that adds VULKAN support as well. Also crashes to the desktop when SMT is enabled (Vulkan Mode). I personally believe this issue is related to the LInux Ryzen SEGV issue.

Still waiting for AMD to send me an RMA number for the CPU and will test the replacement and update this thread.

Funks, didn't notice if you had four sticks or two. Looks like a processor problem, but if you have four sticks can you try two? Keep us updated on progress.

Funks, didn't notice if you had four sticks or two. Looks like a processor problem, but if you have four sticks can you try two? Keep us updated on progress.

Both my machines have two sticks each - this issue happens on both of them (BIOS Defaults, nothing overclocked, XMP disabled)

Machine 1
AMD R7-1700X
Taichi (v3.0 BIOS)
Corsair H110i
32 gigs of 2800 MT/s (Patriot Viper Elite - 2 x 16)
Corsair RM650i
GTX1080Ti

Machine 2
AMD R7-1700
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 (vF7 BIOS)
Wraith Spire LED Cooler
16 gigs of 3000 MT/s (Patriot Viper 4 - 2 x 8)
Corsair CX550M
GTX1060-6GB

I posted a video of the issue on youtube and got a comment from another user having the same issue. Posted it on both steam forums and ashes of the singularity forums as well and some have chimed in saying their Ryzen chip is having the issue as well. These two machines also have the Linux GCC compile SEGV issue. Will update up when I receive the CPU RMA from AMD.

Linux GCC compile SEGV issue

A few users on the now 62 page thread at the AMD forums reported that the RMA (with a week 25 manufacturing date) fixed the issue. Do you know what week your CPU was??

A few users on the now 62 page thread at the AMD forums reported that the RMA (with a week 25 manufacturing date) fixed the issue. Do you know what week your CPU was??

The R7-1700 (which I'm sending back as soon as I get the RMA # is UA 1714PGT - so week 14 of 2017. I haven't looked at my R7-1700X yet but it's one of the OG's (purchased it release day) so it'll have an even older MFG date.

Update - I got the replacement R7-1700X with a build date of UA1728SUS from RMA. I installed it, set the BIOS to defaults and ran the benchmark - also CTD'd. Currently testing the CPU under Linux.

Was chatting back and forth with the AOTS devel and they released a hotfix. From their reply, sounds like there may be another ryzen CPU issue which they had to workaround but per AMD isn't related to the the GCC bug. Hopefully AMD will elaborate on what the bug so other devels won't run into the issue.

http://funks.ddns.net:8080/tools/ryzen/RYZEN_BUG_AOTS.jpg

Well let's hope they give feedback to AMD about this it is quite weird. What is your memory setup 4 x 8 or 2 x 16 (dual ranked dimms?) .
Your BIOS does not allow ASLR to be disabled right ?

The Oxiide engine is rather complex that does not mean that their approach is the only way to drive performance across cores/threads...

Well let's hope they give feedback to AMD about this it is quite weird. What is your memory setup 4 x 8 or 2 x 16 (dual ranked dimms?) .
Your BIOS does not allow ASLR to be disabled right ?

The Oxiide engine is rather complex that does not mean that their approach is the only way to drive performance across cores/threads...

Loaded BIOS defaults (nothing changed - RAM is running at 2133 MT/s).

My main system has 2 x 16 GB Sticks (Dual Rank Chips)
My secondary system has 2 x 8 GB Stick (Dual Rank Chips as well)

Back