Ryzen R5-1600 AF

Gamer's Nexus just benchmarked the R5-1600 AF. It's basically an R5-2600 for $85. Quite possibly the best CPU bargain I've ever seen.

Since it is a Zen+ CPU, is it compatible with X570 boards? For some reason, despite hearing 1.0.0.4B was bringing Ryzen 1000 support to X570 boards, the CPU support list on my X570 TUF doesn't list it.

Put up my 2400g for sale to get one of these. It's basically a 2600 with maybe a worse memory controller.

AMD deserves praise for this as it is much preferred to naming Zen+ parts as 3rd gen cpus as is the case with the 3200g and 3400g.

I just skip the the benches. I have NEVER seen someone say so much, talk so much, have so much to say about absolutely nothing than Steve. I used to like the channel but its just talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk ... 30 mins later more talking, skip some more minutes, finally slides and conclusion.

I just skip the the benches. I have NEVER seen someone say so much, talk so much, have so much to say about absolutely nothing than Steve. I used to like the channel but its just talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk ... 30 mins later more talking, skip some more minutes, finally slides and conclusion.

Funny, that's why I stopped watching the earlier established infotainers and started watching GN. GN is at least informative rather than an infomercial.

Wendell has his points but he sounds like he hasn't had a Dev job in a long time. Many of his points come from a beige pants in seat cube farm type of mindset.

i just bought an x570, think it'll work? or bios mods?

Seriously, why would you buy an x570 board for anything but 3xxx? Go read the cpu support notes of the board you bought. I'm still using garbo tier b450 boards and don't have problems pushing max all core clocks.

Why wouldn't it work?

And why buy x570 for zen1/1+?

Funny, that's why I stopped watching the earlier established infotainers and started watching GN. GN is at least informative rather than an infomercial.

Wendell has his points but he sounds like he hasn't had a Dev job in a long time. Many of his points come from a beige pants in seat cube farm type of mindset.

Seriously, why would you buy an x570 board for anything but 3xxx? Go read the cpu support notes of the board you bought. I'm still using garbo tier b450 boards and don't have problems pushing max all core clocks.

it was on sale form $160 to $117 and it has some decent VRMs on it. i happen to already have some spare RAM, i was thinking a cheap place holder CPU that can be used in another build later but, also to boot test and install OS on one my main rigs now to verify mobos works, at least until a ryzen 3 8 core goes on sale

it was on sale form $160 to $117 and it has some decent VRMs on it. i happen to already have some spare RAM, i was thinking a cheap place holder CPU that can be used in another build later but, also to boot test and install OS on one my main rigs now to verify mobos works, at least until a ryzen 3 8 core goes on sale

Makes sense in that case. Good find.

I understand.
You might be waiting a while for current gen price cuts.
If your workloads require an 8-core then 2700/2700x is inexpensive right now.

Reactions: Auer
like this
then i guess the AF with tax is as cheap as it gets right now then, unless microcenter starts carrying it with the mboo combo price cut (use the combo deal mobo elsewhere)

If you think he's saying nothing then you obviously aren't paying attention. He talks, a lot, but it's all detail and information. If you don't like listening to him talk, there are article versions of most of their videos. Read those. It's ridiculous to bitch about a hardware reviewer actually doing something more than regurgitating tech specs and throwing benchmarks at the screen with no context.

The naming is odd but if they can go back to an exiting design and improve on it at a lesser cost ..is game on to me .. gen 1 was lucky to do 2400Mhz memory speed and now maybe 3200Mhz support for the 1600 with higher clock speed .

Also if AMD is wanting to reboot the line up for 12nm then why not just say Ryzen 5 1650 as it would cover all the changes that it offers more .

Also I bought one as I want to pair it with RX 570 as the Hardware Unbox review of the 2600 vs 3600 showed that at 1080p Ultra with Polaris made no different if it was a 9900k pushing Polaris as it was already bottle necked by video card.

Last edited:
I picked up the 1600 af to replace my 1600. I hope it can hit 4.1 4.2 at decent volts. My current 1600 is running 3.8 at 1.35 volts so it should be a nice upgrade.

If you think he's saying nothing then you obviously aren't paying attention. He talks, a lot, but it's all detail and information. If you don't like listening to him talk, there are article versions of most of their videos. Read those. It's ridiculous to bitch about a hardware reviewer actually doing something more than regurgitating tech specs and throwing benchmarks at the screen with no context.

No he doesnt review an item or a specific. He rants on and on about this and that and most of it is not even related. Truth be told I am not even going to blame him., Youtube has recently changed the requirements of content providers. In order to be monetized you need to have enough content length to justify X amount of ads to be played in your video.

All of the hardware reviewers went from Straight to the Point to having to meet this ridiculous criteria. But it doesnt nullify my right to complain at how stupid it (algorithm) has gotten and how long and arduous these videos are. The old Gamers Nexus was spot on. They said what mattered and moved on.

Edit*

Also who is this content for anymore? Beginners? Advanced? Steve and crew will go from saying...

On LN2 @ X volts we hit Y using LLC % Q etc.... to all of the sudden, "To apply thermal paste, you need to squeeze the tube" or "this is a screwdriver and you use it to screw in these screws right here" back to another video sharing a dissertation about quantum computing and its advanced Artificial intelligence hashing out proofs of boolean Pythagorean triples theorem back to "This is a gpu, and you install it in this here slot".

Needless to say I still stay sub'd but I just skip all the talk unless it interest me. But its not catchy content anymore like it used to be.

Last edited:
No he doesnt review an item or a specific. He rants on and on about this and that and most of it is not even related. Truth be told I am not even going to blame him., Youtube has recently changed the requirements of content providers. In order to be monetized you need to have enough content length to justify X amount of ads to be played in your video.

All of the hardware reviewers went from Straight to the Point to having to meet this ridiculous criteria. But it doesnt nullify my right to complain at how stupid it (algorithm) has gotten and how long and arduous these videos are. The old Gamers Nexus was spot on. They said what mattered and moved on.

Edit*

Also who is this content for anymore? Beginners? Advanced? Steve and crew will go from saying...

On LN2 @ X volts we hit Y using LLC % Q etc.... to all of the sudden, "To apply thermal paste, you need to squeeze the tube" or "this is a screwdriver and you use it to screw in these screws right here" back to another video sharing a dissertation about quantum computing and its advanced Artificial intelligence hashing out proofs of boolean Pythagorean triples theorem back to "This is a gpu, and you install it in this here slot".

Needless to say I still stay sub'd but I just skip all the talk unless it interest me. But its not catchy content anymore like it used to be.
Eh, I've always found watching videos bothersome. Give me a nice writeup that I can quickly jump from point to point any day.

Eh, I've always found watching videos bothersome. Give me a nice writeup that I can quickly jump from point to point any day.

Yes I absolutely agree! It's not as lucrative I suppose but far less actual work to write up and edit an article than having to do all that post pro work on videos.

If you think he's saying nothing then you obviously aren't paying attention. He talks, a lot, but it's all detail and information.
And I think the reason for all of the talking is because of previous video comments where people ask questions or make incorrect/stupid comments based on what Steve says (or didn't say) in the video, so he feels that in his videos he HAS to talk a lot in order to quell the stupid comments that would result if he didn't. For those of us that aren't trolls or uninformed (or just stupid), it comes across as excessive.

Yes I absolutely agree! It's not as lucrative I suppose but far less actual work to write up and edit an article than having to do all that post pro work on videos.

If my memory serves me right, I think Steve has mentioned in the past that they don't really make much money on the articles they do. It might be less work to write it up (though all the benchmarking, graph creation, etc work has to be done regardless) there isn't exactly a big market for people writing article anymore. Much less the in-depth stuff GN has grown to do over the years.

yeah GN/Steve gets long winded but, they try to be as scientific as possible in the benches but, as much as i like it, i skip through the video's time line, or listen till i have to shut it off. i do that with other youtubers too at times. i really do like GN and they do some great work. and yeah i picked up the 1600AF i sucked it up and payed the taxes and bought it, i KNOW i can recycle it one or another when i get a better CPU or decide to REALLY start using my tower again and get the Ryzen 12 core. i know i can't afford TR or ECC RAM even though i want it. i know you can sometimes run ECC on Ryzen boards anyways. i did it with ddr1 ecc on socket 939 with 2gb sticks. too bad Team RED's 5700 series GPUs are weak on the software side especially with linux right now.

If my memory serves me right, I think Steve has mentioned in the past that they don't really make much money on the articles they do. It might be less work to write it up (though all the benchmarking, graph creation, etc work has to be done regardless) there isn't exactly a big market for people writing article anymore. Much less the in-depth stuff GN has grown to do over the years.

Articles might just be a script writing exercise at this pt.

I get why all YouTubers are pushing clip length given monetization opportunity is spread across the length rather than the beginning of a clip now.

It's is a lot like criticizing the remodel of a McDonalds, the stucco and crap tile isn't the pt. If you don't like the $1 menu, then feel free to gripe about it bc you aren't paying for the content.

Otherwise the AF is an exciting part that should enable many existing lower end AMD builds to progress to a 6c/12c state faster than at previous price pts. It is a viable upgrade for Intel builds that won't fixate on 9700xx/9900xx bc B450 is cheap enough to equate "for the price of z390 the end user gets a cpu".

I got off 2600/1700x bc I'm primarily gaming, and got on a 9700kf. Those that aren't so narrow in use case benefit immensely from the option to go AF.

It came today and I pulled the 3600 as my MSI B350M Gaming Pro is current AGESA 1004 B beta with the OLOy memory set to profile 1 = 3330 Mhz off the bat ,

https://valid.x86.fr/07dd86

I was more interested in memory speed of this new chip .. my Ryzen Master for my 3600 does not work for this chip so this is raw with GameMaxx 300 and XMP profile 2 = 3600Mhz memory speed

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/21479515 funny 3D says 14nm lol .

Last edited:
The art, editing and refinement of information to fit a certain length so it had to count for every word is being lost to endless babble on Youtube, with the mantra in making it longer so we can put more advertisements into your video. What gets me is who the hell pays any attention to 99.9% of the advertisements? I fast forward, do something else and so on within 1 sec if the advertisement is not anything I care about. The best site for me dealing with computer tech has been here dealing with advertisements, I actually bought a number of things due to what was shown here. I can't remember anywhere else where I bough a single damn item. I too find it harder to sit though Gamer's Nexus videos, they use to be some of the best, to the point, very interesting videos. Now you literally hear the same argument over and over and over again to ad nausea (Just look at the Thick II video review).

Last edited:
I bit on one of these today and the one I got was made in 2018. That is really interesting. AMD has been sitting on these for a long time. I wonder why they would do that unless they were waiting for something better (ryzen 3000 ) to make these seem like less of a bargain. For 165 I got the cpu a mobo and 16gb of ddr4 ram for a friend. That is a huge amount of performance for the dollar!

I bit on one of these today and the one I got was made in 2018. That is really interesting. AMD has been sitting on these for a long time. I wonder why they would do that unless they were waiting for something better (ryzen 3000 ) to make these seem like less of a bargain. For 165 I got the cpu a mobo and 16gb of ddr4 ram for a friend. That is a huge amount of performance for the dollar!

Things I know is no boost on B350 as gen 1 boards lacked this .. but it makes up in memory speed as it seems very happy at 3330Mhz CL 18 1 to 1 in XMP profile 1

I been running a Ryzen 3600 on the board I dropped it in and on desktop is see no different in normal stuff I do and would buy more for friend builds at $85

I love my World of Tanks ..

Edit .. this my 3600 on same board and video card tic faster in this one to compare how both cpu's play for me .

Last edited:
Things I know is no boost on B350 as gen 1 boards lacked this .. but it makes up in memory speed as it seems very happy at 3330Mhz CL 18 1 to 1 in XMP profile 1

I been running a Ryzen 3600 on the board I dropped it in and on desktop is see no different in normal stuff I do and would buy more for friend builds at $85

I love my World of Tanks ..

Ah, my WoT days. Long, long time ago lol.

I will post my results as soon as I get my mobo tomorrow. 3300Mhz seems like a pretty good
Improvement over most 1 series, my 1700 struggled to do anything over 2700mhz.

I will post my results as soon as I get my mobo tomorrow. 3300Mhz seems like a pretty good
Improvement over most 1 series, my 1700 struggled to do anything over 2700mhz.

I gave profile 2 a shot which is 3600Mhz cl 18 .. it ran it a while even gamed some but blue screened .. not saying you could not tune it to run it .. so there is still more then 3332Mhz to be had up to 3600Mhz would be upper limits of controller maybe .

but this Fire Strike score shows it was running 3600Mhz memory clock https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21479515

I have a couple R5 1600 original AE version bought very recently with UA 1852...…..Just for a test I popped one of them into an X570 system currently running an R5 3600 and low and behold it booted right up, is identified in the bios, running now without issues. I saw Willsey's post above that the 'AF' he got was a 2018. CPU-Z confirms the one I tested is a Summit Ridge 14nm.

Last edited:
Got it up and running my 2018 week 52 af is a pinacle ridge. Leading me to believe they are ryzen 2 dies with subpar memory controllers, preventing them from being a full 2600

After playing around with mine I was able to hit 4.0ghz on 1.3v at 63-65c under stock cooler, and able to run my original ryzen memory that would never run over 2700 mhz at 3000mhz with no issue. Id say this is the best bang for the buck out there. This also put to rest a lot of the stuff I've seen that says you cant overclock with the stock cooler and the 60 dollar asrock b450 motherboard. Super impressed on this impulse buy.

That and get his hair cut or use some damn conditioner. Christ that hair is a mess.

After playing around with mine I was able to hit 4.0ghz on 1.3v at 63-65c under stock cooler, and able to run my original ryzen memory that would never run over 2700 mhz at 3000mhz with no issue. Id say this is the best bang for the buck out there. This also put to rest a lot of the stuff I've seen that says you cant overclock with the stock cooler and the 60 dollar asrock b450 motherboard. Super impressed on this impulse buy.

I clocked a 2600 to 4.2ghz all core and captured plenty of BO4 footage.
1700x was 4ghz all core and helped me thru the later Blackout updates with a ton of core contention capping footage.
I used a b450m hdv with 32gb Corsair 3200 running at xmp no problems.
So the garbage asrock b450 boards aren’t fine in my usage.

my b450 pro4 can punch 100mhz more during 8+hr gaming sessions but I didn’t get anything out of it besides heat.

There was a post on Reddit. Guys 1600 was actually an 8 core 16thread. Pretty cool.

does 7 need any storage controller drivers? the paragon motherboard swapp CD BSODs on boot as well as 7 after running sysprep. usually BSOD on boot means booth path issue or REALLY REALLY doesn't want to adapt to new hardware. wanted to try and save my existing install before going to windows 10 or 9 (8.1 embedded pro w/ tweaks) My linux install acted like nothing changed at all so far.

Also confirmed booting on x570, https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-r...on-85-shipped-amazon.1991224/#post-1044457616

There was a post on Reddit. Guys 1600 was actually an 8 core 16thread. Pretty cool.

vrJFQac.gif

You're gonna have to ELI 5 me cause i'm skeptical of such a bin but, it also make sense. makes me wonder if it can be unlocked? EDIT: and was that original or AF or both?

Back