Ryzen price cuts already.

Actually it is fear. For far too long Intels performance advantage made it easy for the arrogant and unreasonable to bash a weaker AMD and act as if they were cunning and intelligent in doing so. But now we have a very competitive AMD and in all likelihood an AMD that can easily entice previous Intel owners. They were sweating bullets at the announcements of Threadripper and Epyc. Threadripper simply has quite an advantage with superior number of PCI-e lanes, and to some degree yet unknown soldered chips-to-heatspreaders which may affect max clocks, although 4.0ghz will likely be AMDs max no matter the temp, and quad-channel ram. Those same positives were quite welcome in many a discussion when it benefitted Intels superiority,(soldered heatspreaders excluded) but now that they lie with AMD they are suddenly meaningless. Not sure how they plan to attack Epyc but they will in some asinine fashion.

The take away here is that for the first time in a while we consumers have a multitude of choices and AMD happens to be a better choice in some circumstances, and as good a choice as Intel in many others. Threadripper looks real good against whatever Intel has, now we just need prices announced across the board to have a better idea of how this may play out.

I'm fine with people disagreeing and posting so say someone is wrong when actual proof or reasoning is given; but to claim "fear" and then say some really (and I apologize in advance for using such a laymen term, but I just can't find anything more apropiate at the moment) idiotic as what you've posted in the first sentences of your post, that's something that I just can't accept.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the reasoning of the price cuts; there just is absolutely no denying that AMD is price cutting a product that has yet to see a full fucking quarter. That doesn't speak very highly no matter how you cut it.

... Also, that's a ridiculous argument -- you don't lower prices unless you are not seeing the sales that you had hoped to see at a given price point.

That fact that at least 4 people liked this comment is really telling of this forum. Do people here really think you don't drop prices unless sales are lower than expected?

Another reason for price reduction: make room for Tripper so AMD can undercut Intel at the HEDT level.
The 1800x was overpriced to get an extra $100 out a few people that are afraid to o/c or were too impatient to wait for the reviews of the 1700. Hey, it's business.
Now they have a chance to release the 12 core TR at $500. It will be very tough for Intel to answer to that, especially how their chips clock when adding more and more cores.
BTW, Most HEDT owners

I'm fine with people disagreeing and posting so say someone is wrong when actual proof or reasoning is given; but to claim "fear" and then say some really (and I apologize in advance for using such a laymen term, but I just can't find anything more apropiate at the moment) idiotic as what you've posted in the first sentences of your post, that's something that I just can't accept.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the reasoning of the price cuts; there just is absolutely no denying that AMD is price cutting a product that has yet to see a full fucking quarter. That doesn't speak very highly no matter how you cut it.
lol, great rebuttal. Think you missed the point entirely and inadvertently proved it at the same time.
First as far as price cutting, you have no clue as to why. You can speculate, as well we all can, but unless any one of us work at/for AMD then we don't really know for sure. Being Threadripper is upon us and AMDs absolute 0% share in the HEDT market up to now, I think it is far more plausible the reductions are to make room for barebones pricing for their HEDT lineup.

Also why does the price reductions bother so many of you? Obviously you aren't a planned purchaser, otherwise it would be considered great news. Starting to sound a lot like fear to me. Why else would you care whether AMD is making money or not? I don't see the point in wasting energy arguing about price cuts, it is what it is.

lol no, clearly AMD isn't selling as much as they were expecting but that's because they basically launched an irrelevant product to the market (R7 1800X), they cannibalized their own sales by unlocking the 1700 ....

If you cannibalize your own sales, you still get the sales - just wanted to make sure you understood that.
Also, this was pretty much the case with all Intel cpus prior to Sandy Bridge.
The 1800x is indeed epeen since it offers very little over the 1700x when not overclocking. (Not everyone overclocks). The 1700x is, however, justifiable since it offers a significant performance boost for very little money.

Because they will not feel as elite when they are forced to pay only $500 for an intel 10 core cpu instead of $1500.
Sad but true.
Actually I have been waiting for the outrage, like with the Nvidia Titan and the eventual release of XX80Ti as far as price differences. Intels last 10 core was released at $1700 and within a year its replacement is $1000. Sure everyone kinda knew it was a hellova cash grab and at the time a sign that AMD might have something worthwhile, which turned out to be true, but that is a reaming of extreme proportions. which then adds again to the question, why do they care so much about AMD reducing prices when even if the only buy Intel it gets the HEFTY price reductions as well.

If you have a MC near, the 1700X has always been the one to get, not the 1700, as the 1700 while being $299 and the 1700X being $349, the 1700X has a $100 off combo offer, assuming everything else the same, it makes it $50 cheaper.

As for price cuts, the person stating companies always want more sales, yes, they do. But not at the cost of profit, if they just wanted more sales they would sell them for $5 each and never be able to keep stock. The only reason to drop prices at this point is they had a goal for market share/sales and have not met that and need to gain ground by reducing price. I honestly think they are a hell of a chip and thought they would do better in sales than it seems they are, however if I was building right now, I would not be getting Ryzen, I would be waiting and looking to see if they come out with one or two lower end TR chips, which would fill all my needs and then down the road would be an easy and probably cheap option to get the 16 core used if I needed more CPU power. My main guess is AMD wanted a cash grab, sell as many at a higher price than they were expecting to sell at for all the hype at launch, and there was a lot of hype. Now that has died off and they are releasing TR, assuming price rumors and lower end TR are real, they need to put some more room between the two. So yes, AMD is not moving stock, was that planned? I kinda think so, like I said, make a cash grab off of hype at launch and drop it to where you planned after that dies off. People saying this is a reaction to i9....No, they are not in the same range and are targeted at other uses, to suggest this would be to suggest AMD didn't know it was going to release TR, as TR is a closer competitor to Ryzen in the price area than the i9's, again, assuming rumor prices are correct.

Whatever the case, AMD dropping prices is only a Win for us.

Another reason for price reduction: make room for Tripper so AMD can undercut Intel at the HEDT lev
The 1800x was overpriced to get an extra $100 out a few people that are afraid to o/c or were too impatient to wait for the reviews of the 1700. Hey, it's business.
Now they have a chance to release the 12 core TR at $500. It will be very tough for Intel to answer to that, especially how their chips clock when adding more and more cores.
BTW, Most HEDT owners

I know this is HardOCP, but there are many reasons for not wanting to overclock. Also, the 1800X reaches higher OC frequencies on average than the 1700 and even 1700X so for people looking for the maximum amount of performance it's still the best.

I overclocked the crap out of my old 4770K, delidded, put on CLP - the whole shebang. But so far I haven't bothered OCing my 1800X - a lot of hassle, and the max I can expect is about 4.1 GHz (with high voltages, lots of heat and power), a 10.8% boost over the default 3.7 GHz all-core boost frequency and a 0% increase over the 4.1 GHz XFR frequency in lightly threaded loads.

But yeah, dropping the R7 prices to make room for Threadripper is another important point. Kind of like how Nvidia dropped the price of the 1080 when the 1080 Ti came out. I'm pretty sure the 1080 was already doing fine in terms of sales before the price drop.

But yeah, dropping the R7 prices to make room for Threadripper is another important point. Kind of like how Nvidia dropped the price of the 1080 when the 1080 Ti came out. I'm pretty sure the 1080 was already doing fine in terms of sales before the price drop.

Yup or how the reference edition eventually dropped in price due to 'poor sales' (but muh steam surveys omg!).
The only people worried by this and the low clocking I9 rumour, are intel shareholders who bash AMD all day long. 10 posts a day bashing AMD? That's not normal unless you get paid or make money from FUD.

Looking at Steam numbers, its not going so well either.

The question is whether the trend will continue or fizzle. AMD has picked up market share with Ryzen.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

Screenshot_1.png

What happened not liking the tone on the Intel forums with mess that Intel is creating on their upcoming new HEDT platform? So you thought you sneak over here and dump garbage on to our side? I will go with Amazon as a better overview of sales and they are number 3 and 6 on it, funny part is that great 8 core from Intel didnt even make the top 20. Looks like Intel is over priced these days and once threadripper lands it's a whole new ballgame.

That survey also shows the NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 gaining the most market share this month, while cards that are still being sold, like the 1070, lost some.

Anyway I think it's pretty obvious Ryzen won't make a huge difference to AMD's total market share just yet. All current CPUs are more or less enthusiast CPUs with no integrated graphics. AMD need to get new mobile chips and APU's out in order to gain momentum in the mainstream market. But the Passmark numbers show that AMD are gaining in the enthusiast segment (the people who are most likely to upload benchmark results).

Intel could stop selling a single desktop CPU for a year and have all those sales replaced with AMD Ryzen chips and it still wouldn't make any measurable impact in market share. Notebooks are where the cartoonish majority of the x86 CPU market rests.

Ryzen won't make a dent in AMD's market share until they get it into cheap notebooks. The amount of people playing steam games on intel integrated graphics is dumbfounding...

As KazeoHin mentioned that percentage you showed is worthless. You have to look at the frequencies to see that AMD Ryzen has grown and that Intels main growth is in the sub 3 Ghz and low 2Ghz which happen to be laptops. You can also look at the core counts and see Ryzen has grown.

This is sales data from from one of the biggest European tech store (Mindfactory.de):

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQU0FtsxI6qrX1ioDIOKMiFhZ9uBVClK29tf4vYjpUk/edit#gid=974860809

R5 is selling pretty nicely, R7 so-so, Kaby Lake as it should and Intel X99 is pretty much dead. Still doesn't make a dent in market share because "high-end" cpu sales amount to flea poop in the atlantic ocean compared to Laptop sales.

Oh well, its only one store so now we just have to wait for the usual suspects to come here and debunk everything by saying we Europeans must be idiots or something and that the rest of the world only buys Intel because "insert any random reason here"

Edit: spreadsheet linking didn't work as it should so that's why no hyperlink.

Last edited:
I'm no stats guy and ya'll can spit numbers all day, but with Intel's knee jerk reaction in the past weeks, and AMD's lowering of the MSRP to stay below Intel's MSRP for similar chips, all I can say is bring it on! I for one, welcome the cheaper chips and as long as AMD is profiting and Intel is lowering their prices to suit, then we all win.

Yes it hurt AMD to target gamers initially, with all the OC'ed 7700k ricers out there, but now they got Intel reacting and trying to quickly do damage control, and if Threadripper delivers on it's promise, then the next year or so will be very interesting for both parties.

Reactions: isp
like this
Well, still have a few of Rzyen I am not using. Tried 2 different 1700, 3 different 1700x, and 5 different 1800x. Wanted them to come close to be able to replace some older 6700k~7700k rigs I keep around for extra gaming when friends come over. Or for some extra bandwidth for ripping/video work with my inhouse NVidia Grid setup.

Guess I should have posted for sale sooner, but expected a fix for Windows and Ryzen by now. The fixes and BIOS updates so far have not done much for my X370 ASUS Rog Crosshair boards...

For Cinebench, I have a 64 core server setup. Why run Cinebench on a desktop anyway?

I decided to feed the troll:

Intel Coffee Lake CPUs Delayed to 2018, 8th Gen Gets Kaby Lake Refresh This Year

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-delayed-2018-8th-gen-kaby-lake-refresh/

Intel Coffee Lake Delayed To February 2018 – 8th Gen CPUs To Feature Refreshed Kaby Lake Parts

The second family of products from the company will be aimed towards the mainstream market and will feature Intel’s six core and quad-core Coffee Lake CPUs and Z370 chipset. Intel has reportedly postponed these 8th generation parts to February of next year. Earlier reports indicated that the company had been attempting to push the launch to the second half of this year. However, if this recent report regarding the company’s latest roadmap is anything to go by, the company will now be launching refreshed Kaby Lake parts this year instead and postponing Coffee Lake to 2018.

The new family will not be compatible with current LGA 1151 boards and will require a new revision of the LGA 1151 socket dubbed the V2. These processors will feature 6 core, 12 thread i7 parts and 4 core, 8 thread i5 parts. This represents a substantial step away from Intel tradition of sticking to four cores for this segment. These higher core count processors are now a necessity to compete with AMD’s Ryzen in the mainstream.

a6118c7bd8ecd37035eee5e996127a08.jpg

When people read a clickbait site they also decide to fool themselves.

Pretty sure they are moving prices around for a couple reasons, good yield and putting pressure on Intel's stack where they can plus making room for the low end of Threadripper.

I swear if I see another Steam survey I'm gonna self implode. This forum is going downhill like another I know.
Maybe you should stop posting then to help out the quality? ;)

As a moderator for a long time, I have been bent over, pissed on, thrown off a cliff and drowned in an ocean. My filter is no longer here.

Sorry, I'll put the preperation-H on and take it like a man.

I have been critical of Ryzen and don't find it that impressive, but I do not for the life of me think these price cuts are indicative of poor performance. Instead they where probably always planned as a way of making room for Threadripper's lower core count models and keep the entire range under $1,000. My belief is buoyed by the absolute clusterfuck Intel's launch of the x299 platform is turning out to be.

Since you posted on here, tell me what are your thoughts on using the Steam survey as a realistic approach to actual market share for processors or heck even video cards? I personally think it's garbage cause it only focuses on the gaming segment and leaves out many other uses for equipment.
I think it's good for telling you what Steam users' Hardware is.

Steam isn't that the place where "everyone" still games on an Intel GPU ?

By Shintai's logic, Nvidia reducing the RRP of the 1080 earlier this year indicates sales weren't going well...

Or that Intel's recent price cut a few months ago indicates that sales aren't going well...

One thing is a price cut of an older product is going to be replaced by one new. Another thing is a price cut of a new product that has been released only two months ago, and whose replacement is planned for the next year (Pinnacle Ridge).

Whatever man, Ryzen is number 3 and 6 best selling chip on Amazon. It's doing just fine, price cuts are a reaction to what is coming from Intel.

It doesn't look so rosy even when using Amazon numbers

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...t-brought-the-price-wars-we-all-wantedneeded/

And Amazon puts the FX-8350 as top sales CPU #12, and all of us know the real worldwide sales.

Steam isn't that the place where "everyone" still games on an Intel GPU ?

Do you mean like in real-world?

It doesn't look so rosy even when using Amazon numbers

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...t-brought-the-price-wars-we-all-wantedneeded/

And Amazon puts the FX-8350 as top sales CPU #12, and all of us know the real worldwide sales.

8350 will sell well since its dirt cheap now as they run off inventory and people like cheap. OEM's are starting to use them now as well so Ryzen is doing just fine and they have a laptop chip that will be out shortly as well. Threadripper looks to be in far better shape then the cluster of crap Intel is putting out and the rumor is priced quite a bit less.. I see nothing but upside for AMD, only place I see AMD struggling is in the server market.

8350 will sell well since its dirt cheap now as they run off inventory and people like cheap. OEM's are starting to use them now as well so Ryzen is doing just fine and they have a laptop chip that will be out shortly as well. Threadripper looks to be in far better shape then the cluster of crap Intel is putting out and the rumor is priced quite a bit less.. I see nothing but upside for AMD, only place I see AMD struggling is in the server market.

My post wasn't about future sales of the 8350, but about how this CPU is reported as a top sales on Amazon list despite the current sales are ridiculously low compared to other CPUs in same list.

Last edited:
With premium on DDR4 it's a cheap upgrade to 8 cores without changing memory or adding to that. DDR3 is cheap too.

Back