Ryzen price cuts already.

Shintai

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/06/02/amd_ryzen_7_cpu_price_cuts
On geizhals you can also find the newly discounted Ryzen CPUs. Where the 1800X is now ~450$ without VAT as an example.

The Ryzen 7 1700 is getting a $15 haircut from $329 down to $315, the Ryzen 7 1700X is dropping to $350 from $399, and the range-topping Ryzen 7 1800X comes down to $460 from an initial $500 asking price. All three chips have eight cores with simultaneous multi-threading for a grand total of 16 hardware threads, and all three pack AMD's XFR self-overclocking feature. The Ryzen 7 1700 has a 3.0 GHz base clock and a 3.7 GHz boost clock, the Ryzen 7 1700X goes from 3.4 GHz to a 3.8 GHz boost clock rate, and the Ryzen 7 1800X pumps up from 3.6 GHz to 4.0 GHz.

Sales are obviously not going as expected.

Actually it's because the yields are so good (over 80% for 8-core) that AMD want to get more people to buy the 8-core parts instead of having to sell them fully functional 8-core die with 2 cores disabled at lower profit margins.

Last edited:
Actually it's because the yields are so good (over 80% for 8-core) that AMD want to get more people to buy the 8-core parts instead of having to sell them fully functional 8-core die with 2 cores disabled at lower profit margins.

Come on, man. The "80% yield" bit comes from some guy on Twitter whose credibility is shoddy at best. Also, that's a ridiculous argument -- you don't lower prices unless you are not seeing the sales that you had hoped to see at a given price point.

Come on, man. The "80% yield" bit comes from some guy on Twitter whose credibility is shoddy at best. Also, that's a ridiculous argument -- you don't lower prices unless you are not seeing the sales that you had hoped to see at a given price point.

Lower prices obviously mean they want to sell more CPUs, but it doesn't mean sales were poor in the first place. Companies are always looking to increase sales, and the good yields have allowed AMD to do this while maintaining good profit margins.

The lower prices are a clear sign that yields are indeed very good, basically confirming those rumors. There'd be no point in dropping the prices if the yields were poor, since they wouldn't be able to fulfill the additional demand they created. Threadripper is on track and coming very soon, and such a product requires good yields since each CPU needs 2 fully functional die. It's also going to be cheap (rumored $849 for the entry level 16-core) because AMD can afford that due to the good yields.

Lower prices obviously mean they want to sell more CPUs, but it doesn't mean sales were poor in the first place. Companies are always looking to increase sales, and the good yields have allowed AMD to do this while maintaining good profit margins.

The lower prices are a clear sign that yields are indeed very good, basically confirming those rumors. There'd be no point in dropping the prices if the yields were poor, since they wouldn't be able to fulfill the additional demand they created. Threadripper is on track and coming very soon, and such a product requires good yields since each CPU needs 2 fully functional die. It's also going to be cheap (rumored $849 for the entry level 16-core) because AMD can afford that due to the good yields.

They simply compete with lower priced SKUs. Higher yields would automatically give higher margins, yet AMD expect margins to decrease.

Lots of disabled cores going into Threadripper too.

And AMD isn't some kind of pro bono company, they will charge everything they can.

A Ryzen chip cost about twice of what an FX chip did to manufactor due to almost same transistor cost.

Looking at Steam numbers, its not going so well either.

Last edited:

lol no, clearly AMD isn't selling as much as they were expecting but that's because they basically launched an irrelevant product to the market (R7 1800X), they cannibalized their own sales by unlocking the 1700, everyone knows what's the kind of mentality and marketshare AMD people have and that's it the cheaper the better and bang for the buck so that mean every single of those guys will buy the 1700 and overclock to 1800X speeds at half the price leaving the 1700X and 1800X in the dust, that man it's a bad example of own company product cannibalization, there's practically NO kind of reason to buy a 1700X or 1800X aside from have a nicier name on the signature with a bit of useless e-peen.

Also this is the typical insta-panick reaction of AMD when a competitor launch a new product. that's how always has been happening in the GPU market. clearly they don't like that fact that intel will release a 6c/12t at 389$ and the 8c/16t at 599$ with 4.5ghz turbo clocks.

Last edited:
I agree the 1800X and 1700X were priced too high in the beginning (but I like my e-peen and not having to faff around with p-states to get an efficient overclock), which is being adjusted now, as they received the highest price cuts.

Either sales aren't meeting their sales projections, or supply is exceeding their predictions. Since there are rumors of excellent yields, the latter seems more likely. I guess everyone is convinced AMD is doomed as usual (it wouldn't be the first time) so we'll just have to wait a few months and see who's right.

AMD knows it's market share needs serious rebuilding and is seeking to expedite progress toward that goal.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
AM4 will support Zen+. It looks like trying to get the platform in more hands. I'm pretty happy with mine now that the New AGSEA has allowed Hynix chip base memory and the XMP profile.

I agree the 1800X and 1700X were priced too high in the beginning (but I like my e-peen and not having to faff around with p-states to get an efficient overclock), which is being adjusted now, as they received the highest price cuts.

Either sales aren't meeting their sales projections, or supply is exceeding their predictions. Since there are rumors of excellent yields, the latter seems more likely. I guess everyone is convinced AMD is doomed as usual (it wouldn't be the first time) so we'll just have to wait a few months and see who's right.

for innitial release i think the 1700x and 1800x were priced fine, they got the money they wanted from the early adopters. so now they're able to make room for the 10c/20t threadripper part if the rumored prices are correct. it'll be interesting to see what intel responds with or if they just figure their names good enough for the price premium.

Last edited:
1800x was a bad value. 1700x is just a bad binned part sandwiched in between the 1700 and 1800x. Most 1700 if not all can achieve 1700x speeds at lesser voltage. I owned 2 1700x and both my 1700s were able to do better. I never paid the full $330 for my 1700s to begin with either. Motherboards were more of an issue than the actual CPU. Lots of people own these CPUs. From what I heard they are introducing the low end threadripper right above the 1800x old price.

And here we go with steam survey results... Just let them die already FFS. Ryzen has been out for 3 months and Intel has been dominating for the last 7 years in the CPU arena. Its not going to change much in 3 months, give it time. Geez.

Got my 1700 for 299 with a frys promo code a couple months ago. Best purchase ever.

At this point with some more frys promo codes in the future, I'll probably buy some more Ryzen chips. They are damn good!

Last edited:
I feel like the 1700x and especially the 1800x were going to need price cuts because the 1700 sort of cannibalized their sales. The 3 chips overclock to almost identical ranges and justifying the cost of 1800x was basically impossible.

For now, I think they're still great value for the money. The 7800X is gonna ruffle some serious feathers, although the platform cost will likely still be a factor. 6 core coffee lakes will be a killer though. They'll have to lower prices again when that's a thing, assuming clock speeds and IPC are where we'd expect.

Intel just released their pricing for their multi-core chips and it seems like business as usual except they drastically reduced the price on their 8 and 10 core parts in response to Ryzen. AMD is just responding to market conditions, Intel lowers prices and talks about releasing a bunch of Xeons as consumer chips relabeled i9, AMD is just reducing the prices on their successful Ryzen 7 line and brings their R9 platform to the table. To make room for the new chips and to put their entry level in at an even, attractive price-point ($500), they just took the 1800x's spot and shifted the product stack. Seems like AMD is moving to change the CPU market and put it in line with where it is supposed to be in performance and price.

In a few years, 8 cores would be considered entry-level. :O
I don't think we are even close to being there yet. We need more aplkcatiins that scale well beyond 4 cores first and companies are always going to want to do something with their poor yield chips which is why they still sell dual core chips.

http://techreport.com/news/32030/amd-and-newegg-drop-prices-on-ryzen-7-cpus
On geizhals you can also find the newly discounted Ryzen CPUs. Where the 1800X is now ~450$ without VAT as an example.

At my local microcenter you can get nearly any Intel board you want, but all of the AMD 350 boards and many of the 370 boards are sold out.
Antectdotal, yes --- but make of that what you will. This has been the story locally for the last two weeks. As I've built two different systems in that time.

In a few years, 8 cores would be considered entry-level.

Maybe in 2 decades. Although that should be past silicon (since we are not even sure going below 7nm will work).

If you see the rumored Threadripper prices, looks like they're priming the enthusiast market for Threadripper. Pushing Ryzen 7 for volume in June, possibly to clear out stock. Glofo Mosis schedule has a full month in June on 14LPP. Watching for changes in the schedule for any clues for demand.
https://www.mosis.com/db/pubf/fsched?ORG=GF

Reactions: isp
like this
$300 + motherboard + ram (unlikely my patriot ddr4 3000 that my skylake runs on will play happy with Ryzen, hell it barely works with XMP on i5).... still not running out to replace my i5-6600k. I guess I should have waited, but 7 years on a Phenom II was enough.

Maybe next year...

I think the initial cash crab is over for AMD, now it's market share building time. Threadripper looks to be a tremendous value if it overclocks to where the R7s do

like this
At my local microcenter you can get nearly any Intel board you want, but all of the AMD 350 boards and many of the 370 boards are sold out.
Antectdotal, yes --- but make of that what you will. This has been the story locally for the last two weeks. As I've built two different systems in that time.

That's not indicative of high demand. AMD has not supplied MB manufacturers with a lot of product and the manufacturers are still in their build up phase for their X370 and 350 boards.

Looking at Steam numbers, its not going so well either.

Steam numbers aren't the full picture:

For example you can't find a RX470, RX480, or RX580 in stock ANYWHERE. The miners are gobbling them up. Are the miners sending stats to steam? no.

RX580
https://www.zoolert.com/computers/videocards/radeon/rx580/instockhistory.php

RX480
https://www.zoolert.com/computers/videocards/radeon/rx480/instockhistory.php

RX470
https://www.zoolert.com/computers/videocards/radeon/rx470/instockhistory.php

like this
I'm very satisfied for what I paid for my 1700, in reality AMD should have locked the 1700 and had the 1700x and 1800x unlocked to justify the price gap, that's what traditional businesses practice would have dictated and every one would still be happy but AMD wanted to shake up the market and they did, look at intels new line up, not a single locked cpu, even the prices are competitive for the 8 and 10 core part, everything else above that is out of most peoples reach for a CPU and the 7800x and 7740x could be more competitively priced and the 7640x just should not exist for more then 130$ USD, atleast I would not spend 242$ USD on a CPU with only 4 cores and no HT/SMT (I personally would not even consider a 4 core CPU a viable option today but that's just me) , hell even AMD's lowest end R5 has fricken SMT man, intle why

Steam numbers aren't the full picture:

For example you can't find a RX470, RX480, or RX580 in stock ANYWHERE. The miners are gobbling them up. Are the miners sending stats to steam? no.

RX580
https://www.zoolert.com/computers/videocards/radeon/rx580/instockhistory.php

RX480
https://www.zoolert.com/computers/videocards/radeon/rx480/instockhistory.php

RX470
https://www.zoolert.com/computers/videocards/radeon/rx470/instockhistory.php

They also buy all the Nvidia cards for zcash mining?

Remember how people thought Polaris was selling like crazy in the start, yet it wasn't?

I'm very satisfied for what I paid for my 1700, in reality AMD should have locked the 1700 and had the 1700x and 1800x unlocked to justify the price gap, that's what traditional businesses practice would have dictated and every one would still be happy but AMD wanted to shake up the market and they did, look at intels new line up, not a single locked cpu, even the prices are competitive for the 8 and 10 core part, everything else above that is out of most peoples reach for a CPU and the 7800x and 7740x could be more competitively priced and the 7640x just should not exist for more then 130$ USD, atleast I would not spend 242$ USD on a CPU with only 4 cores and no HT/SMT (I personally would not even consider a 4 core CPU a viable option today but that's just me) , hell even AMD's lowest end R5 has fricken SMT man, intle why

It is simple the locking or unlocked version of cpu makes very little difference , to most of us it is simple you buy the processor you can get the best price performance but in that space of total cpu sales were the minority.
AMD sales on locked products would not have mattered hence AMD does not bother.

It is simple the locking or unlocked version of cpu makes very little difference , to most of us it is simple you buy the processor you can get the best price performance but in that space of total cpu sales were the minority.
AMD sales on locked products would not have mattered hence AMD does not bother.

hell they used to bother, I remember using a pencil to unlock the FSB on my XP 2500+ and if i wanted to unlock the multiplier that required me running a thin copper wire from one CPU pin to another in the middle of the CPU with out touching the other CPU pins, as you can imagine I never bothered to unlock the multiplier.

Anyway for those of use who are daring enough we prefer to overclock then to spend the money on the rated part, I'm glad AMD decided not to block us on that and make us pay more for the privilege of overclocking like some other CPU manufacturers do/did <_<

By Shintai's logic, Nvidia reducing the RRP of the 1080 earlier this year indicates sales weren't going well...

Or that Intel's recent price cut a few months ago indicates that sales aren't going well...

When in truth: AMD is simply reacting to the i9 and X299 announcements trying to make more people jump on their platform before the i7x and i9x options make their lives more difficult.

nothing to see here.

By Shintai's logic, Nvidia reducing the RRP of the 1080 earlier this year indicates sales weren't going well...

Or that Intel's recent price cut a few months ago indicates that sales aren't going well...

When in truth: AMD is simply reacting to the i9 and X299 announcements trying to make more people jump on their platform before the i7x and i9x options make their lives more difficult.

nothing to see here.

Nvidia had a product replacement. Tho AMD fans seems to have hoped that 1080TI would be much more or that it was due to the ever delayed and failing Vega.

Intel price cuts?

Funny how there is always an excuse. And it always includes something along the line of AMD being charitable or going to gain a lot of share that's never seen outside of clickbait articles and forums.

Last edited:
http://techreport.com/news/32030/amd-and-newegg-drop-prices-on-ryzen-7-cpus

More anti AMD makebelieve crap water pouring from your face hole. Were growing tired of your negative bickering daily against AMD.

For those that dont understand a price cut heres the simple...

Higher taxes make govt less revenue in the long run. Lower taxes make govt way more money.

AMD using the same economical principle will make even more money selling chips at a lesser cost because it entices even more people whi are willing to take the plunge. They make less per chip but waaaay more in bulk volume.

Last edited:
Nvidia had a product replacement. Tho AMD fans seems to have hoped that 1080TI would be much more or that it was due to the ever delayed and failing Vega.

Intel price cuts?

Funny how there is always an excuse. And it always includes something along the line of AMD being charitable or going to gain a lot of share that's never seen outside of clickbait articles and forums.

No chairity, just business. Obviously Intel's i9 caught AMD off-guard. So they are going to get as many people as possible on their 8-core platform while they are still the best choice. As soon as X299 launches, AMD will have some stiff comoetition for Ryzen's 6 and 8 core line. If AMD can coax more people onto X370, that's fewer people looking for an upgrade whe X299 launches...

I really don't see how that is hard to understand. ..

No chairity, just business. Obviously Intel's i9 caught AMD off-guard. So they are going to get as many people as possible on their 8-core platform while they are still the best choice. As soon as X299 launches, AMD will have some stiff comoetition for Ryzen's 6 and 8 core line. If AMD can coax more people onto X370, that's fewer people looking for an upgrade whe X299 launches...

I really don't see how that is hard to understand. ..
Caught them off guard? You think AMD didn't know Intel could release a new chip that would devistate the best thing AMD could deliver? Ha

I'm a firm believer that Intel has three years of tech engineering sitting on the shelf right now --- that they could blow the dust off and release to demolish anything out there now, including their own products. They just didn't have any cause to release signifcantly better (greater core count) tech without AMDs recent multicore competition. (Ryzen/Thread ripper)

You think it's just happenstance they can release an 18 core on the consumer side to best AMD's best 16 core? Hell, Intel had 64 and 128 core chips being built in engineeering back in 2011 timeframe IIRC. They have over 60 core processors in the Xeon line and that's still sandbagging to avoid losing future sales and the economies of trickling out generational upgrades. They are still sandbagging to the nth degree with these new i9s consumer chips. They could curb stomp AMD altogether if they wanted. AMD knows it full well. No value to do so for Intel. No profit motive and fear of monopoly regulations etc. They have the upper hand now and for the future and will just trickle out the superiority at the greater margins.

Thanks to AMD for at least lighting a small fire under their rears for the time present so we can finally see some progression.

The only place AMD has the potential upper hand is in the APU market. Intel's integrated GPUs still suck. I'm surprised they haven't targeted that market harder over the years. They started to with larabee but it fizzeled. I think APU is the future and I think Intel might be missing the mark there while AMD is making some nice strides in the space. Ryzen and Vega on the same chip for low and middle tier desktops and mobile devices? Yes please.

Otherwise, yes I agree with your post. They are hoping to put buyers to product before x299 and I9 is on the shelves. Even with a superior product in the Ryzen over last gen I7 Kaby Lake --- AMD still struggles against mind share.

Last edited:
Caught them off guard? You think AMD didn't know Intel could release a new chip that would devistate the best think they could deliver? Ha

I'm a firm believer that Intel has three years of tech engineering sitting on the shelf right now they could blow the dust off and release that would demolish anything out there now. They just didn't have cause to release it without competition. (Ryzen/thread ripper)

You think it's just happenstance they can release an 18 core on the consumer side to best AMD's 16 core? Hell, Intel had 64 and 128 core chips being built in engineeering back in 2011 timeframe IIRC. They have over 50 core processors in the Xeon line. They are still sandbagging to the nth degree with these new i9s. They could curb stomp AMD if they wanted. AMD knows it full well.

I wholeheartedly agree. But now it is official. It's news on the front pages of tech sites. It's never good business to lose money preparing for a rumour.

More anti AMD makebelieve crap water pouring from your face hole. Were growing tired of your negative bickering daily against AMD.

Indeed. In his mind AMD can do no right and Intel can do no wrong. Most posters here can recognize the good and the bad regarding a company. And I agree...it is getting very tiresome to continually hear the never-ending bleatings from this shill. He either works for Intel marketing or is paid by a large stock holder to constantly put AMD down.

Indeed. In his mind AMD can do no right and Intel can do no wrong. Most posters here can recognize the good and the bad regarding a company. And I agree...it is getting very tiresome to continually hear the never-ending bleatings from this shill. He either works for Intel marketing or is paid by a large stock holder to constantly put AMD down.
Actually it is fear. For far too long Intels performance advantage made it easy for the arrogant and unreasonable to bash a weaker AMD and act as if they were cunning and intelligent in doing so. But now we have a very competitive AMD and in all likelihood an AMD that can easily entice previous Intel owners. They were sweating bullets at the announcements of Threadripper and Epyc. Threadripper simply has quite an advantage with superior number of PCI-e lanes, and to some degree yet unknown soldered chips-to-heatspreaders which may affect max clocks, although 4.0ghz will likely be AMDs max no matter the temp, and quad-channel ram. Those same positives were quite welcome in many a discussion when it benefitted Intels superiority,(soldered heatspreaders excluded) but now that they lie with AMD they are suddenly meaningless. Not sure how they plan to attack Epyc but they will in some asinine fashion.

The take away here is that for the first time in a while we consumers have a multitude of choices and AMD happens to be a better choice in some circumstances, and as good a choice as Intel in many others. Threadripper looks real good against whatever Intel has, now we just need prices announced across the board to have a better idea of how this may play out.

OBVIOUSLY you know nothing about economics and you are biased as ever for posting this garbage thread.
Ford often has the biggest price cuts on their trucks. They are pretty much crushing everyone right now:
http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/06/full-size-pickup-truck-sales-may-2017/

Selling 3 cpus at a $50 profit is always better than selling 1 at $100 profit.

Also, AND (and intel) get royalties from other components once a user chooses an AMD cpu, such as the motherboard.

So, it actually might be better that AND sells 3 cpus each at a $25 profit than 1 at a $100 profit. (similar to how consoles depend on game sales)

But let's ignore all of that and assume Ryzen is a "huge fail" because it is getting a price cut.

Classic Shintai.

Back