Ryzen overclocking, perplexing results

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
I am by no means an over clocker, but i decided to mess with my 1700x / Crosshair VI a bit

First run Cinebench R15
stock - 1485

Second run OC 3.68 ghz, minor dram overclock (1.02 bclk, something like 2175mhz)

Third run, 3.8ghz

Fourth run 3.9

fitth run OC 3.68 ghz, minor dram overclock (1.02 bclk, something like 2175mhz)
1425ish

final run, stock

Temps never read over 60 degrees in ryzen master. Never experienced a shutdown or any issues

I am running the latest bios. Corsair H110i, Corsair Dominator platinum 3000mhz ram

The only reason i can possibly see my results suffering after ocing is if i had damaged something. I do not see how that is possible with these mild clocks.

Are you testing stability after each OC? Even slightly unstable clocks will give lower results than lower clocks.

I have not done anything for stability. A few restarts later and im back to 1485ish range. I am surprised how quickly things get unstable with minor clock differences. Doing nothing but moving the bclk to 102 caused me to get usb devices to reinstall, cause the mouse pointer to sluggishly move across the screen, the bottom right monitor to turn off and then on randomly. All this with no difference whatsoever in temperatures.

I've been mainly messing with this to try to get the ram to run higher than 2133. I have messed with quite a few settings and tried many things, resulting in no change. Even when the settings took, the speeds didn't ever change. Hm. I am either doing something completely wrong, or this mobo is not very good for OC. It seems this hynix ram is particularly bad for it

The reason you're seeing issues with the BClk changes is because on Ryzen, 90% of the interfaces are tied to that speed. They expect 100MHz, because their specifications call for it. They may operate at a different frequency, but they'll generally do so through a divisor that's based on the 100MHz.

Anyways... If you want performance, you're better off leaving the BClk alone for now and focus on the memory. If you can give us the model number for the kit you bought, we'll be able to gather a bit more information to help, but right now I'd suggest leaving everything on "Auto" and set the DRAM to DDR4-3000. (Might have to adjust the DRAM Voltage to 1.35V, if it doesn't do that automatically), then restart. If you notice it seems to be taking awhile, or the lights are flashing, or the fans are changing pitch... then it might need a bit more adjusting of something (I have a different motherboard, but of equal "Class" to yours, and that's all I have to do for it to work). The CPU_NB Voltage (possibly called SoC, depending on how ASUS labeled it), may need a bump up. It's default is 0.900V. You can try 0.950V, then 1V, then 1.05, etc. but just keep it under 1.2V. Frankly, though, if it hasn't worked by 1.15V, then it's quite unlikely that's the issue and you can put it at 1V for peace of mind, and start looking at other settings. I believe DOCP is one to try enabling, which is some ASUS setting for... I dunno what it stands for haha. DRAM OverClock Profiles?

After you've gotten your memory running at it's rated speed, that's when I'd look into changing the CPU multipliers (or PStates, ideally, but those can get a bit confusing for someone new to the scene).

If you want 3.8GHz, you can probably even get away with leaving the CPU Voltage on Auto as well. Beyond that and you're entering into the Land of Diminishing Returns where higher clocks = higher voltages = higher temps.

But yea, start with RAM. You're not doing yourself any favors by running at 2133 :)

I am using CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 these are version 5.xx (hynix)

Changing the ram to 3000, or using DOCP does NOTHING... and i mean nothing. It doesnt change anything. The ram still runs at 2133, despite showing a higher clock in the bios. The bios do not revert to old settings or anything as if the change has failed. The change sticks, the computer posts, boots, etc, and nothing changes with the ram. Really weird. The only way i have been able to actually see a change in ram speed is by adjusting the BCLK.. which i dont want to do, as you said, for many reasons.

I am using CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 these are version 5.xx (hynix)

Changing the ram to 3000, or using DOCP does NOTHING... and i mean nothing. It doesnt change anything. The ram still runs at 2133, despite showing a higher clock in the bios. The bios do not revert to old settings or anything as if the change has failed. The change sticks, the computer posts, boots, etc, and nothing changes with the ram. Really weird. The only way i have been able to actually see a change in ram speed is by adjusting the BCLK.. which i dont want to do, as you said, for many reasons.
You never read the thread on compatibility of memory with Ryzen??? I think not. Or you would have bought ddr4 3200 memory with CL14-14-14-34 timings. it works as prescribed. Your cinebench numbers are piss poor and as the other user stated your system is unstable. at 3.8 GHZ you need about 1.33v- 1.34v core voltage. Also use LLC level 1. Dram voltage shouldl be about 1.35 volts. SOC voltage should be about 1.00 volts and you raise it as you increase your memory frequency.

Which slots do you have the RAM in? The ones closest to the processor, or furthest away? If they're the ones closest, you'll definitely want to move them...

However, your model number tells us two things... and neither are "positives" in our current state of affairs with Ryzen.
First, they are Hynix. Whatever the reason, it seems SK Hynix memory chips and AMD products always have issues (poor clock speeds on graphics cards in the past, and Ryzen in the present). They have issues when running in Ryzen machines, and it's simply one of those unfortunate-knowns :\
Second, and probably just as big, or bigger, of an issue is they are high capacity. In present tense that's implying 16GB modules, as currently, if you get anything fast it's going to have memory chips on both sides of the stick (aka Dual-Rank), and that's something Ryzen is having issues with. In the future we'll see higher capacities at higher speeds with less chips needed, but currently that's not the case. Which as such, it's a bit too taxing on Ryzen's memory controller and AMD even warned that before Ryzen came out, that if you run 2x Dual-Rank DIMMs, or even 4x Single-Rank DIMMs, you're going to run into speed limitations.

Mind you, memory issues are becoming less and less so, and so if you haven't updated your BIOS, I highly recommend doing that. (Take every precaution though. Don't flash it from Windows. Don't have ANYthing overclocked. It's best to "Set Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS beforehand, even if it means you'll lose some annoying-to-set things like Fan Profiles)
The latest Beta BIOSes across the brands seem to be doing wonders, but it's always best to read forums first before diving in, unless you know what you're getting into. For instance ASUS had a nasty run in early on with the CrossHair VI and their BIOS, but I haven't heard anything like that since.

Either way, Ryzen comes with its own build-in failsafes with memory, and while the BIOS might not be getting triggered (not surprising, if your board is running an early version still), as the behavior you're mentioning seems to fall in line with how it operates. Though, in my personal experience (again, I use a totally different company's board), the BIOS has reflected the speeds without fail. When it didn't work and reverted to 2133, it showed that :\

I can empathize though. Ryzen for a novice computer builder will be frustrating. There are definitely some Do's and Don't's when it comes to Ryzen builds. Myself, I pre-ordered but got double-lucky on my RAM purchase... Not only do mine have Samsung "B-Die" chips, but are also Single-Rank (mine is a 16GB kit though, 2x8GB). IF it's possible yet, I'd try to exchange the RAM for even a different companies. Like os2wiz has, the G.Skill "Flare X" or "Fortius" series, they are designed for Ryzen and will work at the speeds they are rated for. And SHOULD work even if they are 16GB, should you require that amount for whatever you plan to use the system for. If you can't, then patience and just try running at 2400, or 2667.

I have them in the slots further away. The bios is latest version.

I cant explain much of what is going on there. The only thing i can say is that this system is not incredibly fast or stable. If i run into many more issues, I am likely to exchange this for a 7700k system to alleviate my frustration. Unfortunately, I do not have as much time to mess with things these days, and i prefer stuff that just works.

edit: updated to beta 9945 bios and the ram now clocks properly with no tweaking whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back