Ryzen Motherboard that supports DDR4 ECC

Discussion in 'AMD MoBos' started by DeaconFrost, Nov 14, 2018.

1. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm looking to upgrade my home server at this point, and I have 4 of these memory sticks available. I was thinking of going with a Ryzen proc because of the affordable 8 core 16 thread options available.

So, are there any Ryzen compatible motherboards that will support DDR4 registered ECC sticks? These are what I have.

https://www.serversupply.com/MEMORY/PC4-17000/16GB/SAMSUNG/M393A2G40DB0-CPB2Q.htm

2. DeaconFrost

3. pitingres

pitingres [H]Lite

Registered ECC? Not that I know of. The Asrock Taichi may possibly support error correction with unbuffered ECC RAM, I haven't seen a firm confirmation either way. Most of the Ryzen mobos that mention ECC support, support unbuffered ECC but don't actually do the error correction.

drescherjm likes this.
  4. DeaconFrost

I'm not too concerned about the actual error correction. I'm looking to upgrade my home server, and having 64 GB of memory would be...nice.

5. pitingres

pitingres [H]Lite

I don't believe any Ryzen CPU or motherboard supports registered memory, ECC or not.

6. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

RIMMs are Epyc only.

Most good AM4 boards (because if it doesn't, it probably is mediocre for other reasons) and all TR boards support unbuffered ECC.

drescherjm likes this.
  7. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

8. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

The X370 prime pro logged corrected errors for me, so unless they screwed up the refresh model it is good. All my asrock board models (the nicer x370, X470, X399) have logged corrected errors.

Other than running stuff months on end the hair dryer method kinda works if I really go at it, but also tends to crash or reboot too because it gets everything else around the dimms real hot. I think I'm done risking fucking my gear that way though, if I can ever get tape cut small enough might try the ancient cover trace method.

drescherjm likes this.
  9. drescherjm

I stopped trying after I had other issues which forced me to make my own Arduino based watchdog. However since a BIOS flash the problem seems to have gone away and I can go production in my time off for winter break.

10. DeaconFrost

I'm thinking I'm SOL since these are registered.

11. drescherjm

You are.

Registered RAM will only work with XEON (not E3 or its replacement that supports UDIMMs only) or EPYC.

12. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

As others have said, registered will not work on any AM4.
    ECC Unbuffered is what you need.
    Asrock and Asus support ECC on all AM4 boards I believe.
    MSI doesn't support ECC at all from what I know.
    Gigabyte only supports ECC on boads with higher layer counts which would include the X470 Gaming 7, and some older boards too like AX370 Gaming 5 and the K7. Some ITX boards might work too.
    Anyway, it's better to go with Asrock or Asus for ECC.

13. DeaconFrost

I'm going to just eBay the memory. I ended up buying 32 GB of non-ECC DDR4 and will build a new server around that.

14. KedsDead

KedsDead Limp Gawd

I know this is an old thread, but the New X470 chipsets supports ECC memory on some of the Gigabyte boards..

15. P1x3L

P1x3L n00b

Very interested. Any updates? What's the best Ryzen motherboard that supports ECC DDR4?

16. drescherjm

Still using my ASUS Prime Pro X470 which has ECC support. Remember you need unbuffered ECC. REG ECC will not work.

17. pitingres

pitingres [H]Lite

Asrock Taichi has ECC support (haven't seen 100% confirmation, but I believe it's the case).