Ryzen impressions so far

Aenra

Limp Gawd
(assuming anyone cares)

( /crickets )

Waited this long on purpose, have toyed with an 1800X, a 1950X, a 2700X and now a 2400G.

+ Snappier than any of my (similar of course, core to core, i'd never compare a 6core to an 8core, that's unfair) Intels when at matched speeds. Be they stock ones, or equally OCed ones. It's faster in all the little things that take most of my time; windows booting, explorer icons loading (my work PC is the equivalent of a race car, barring a seat, not much else i haven't thrown out [so obviously, no, no caching]), firefox loading, etc.
This is something that stood for older AMD CPU generations and am happy to say it stands still. Those boys do know their math alright.

+ They lack my number one issue with any Pre-Skylake Intel, namely that sudden.. pause? Hicccup? That often occurs with Intel CPUs. You had a lot of them, you probably know what i'm talking about, everything 'feels' fast and all of a sudden, for no discernible reason, you get a slow down, nothing to throw yourself off a cliff for, but noticeable nonetheless. And just when you think 'wtf', it's back to normal again.
This is also something that stood for previous generations of AMD CPUs. Happy to find it still prevalent.
(a note here yet again about the racing car analogy; in 'normal' people setups the above still occurs, but you'd have to be looking for it to take note)
* Although you read threads over at oc.net, you find mentions of that in SK-X SKUs as well, so.. who knows.

+ I know they had a lot of market to take back and that as such the pricing is hardly a 'favor', but i cannot help but feel grateful. That 1800X puts my 6900K to shame. Yes, as i type it. 'Reviewers' may say what they will, i take my numbers first.
Now my numbers of course do not involve games as i don't play them; they do however involve math. And when it comes down to math, their potential is better. Measurably so. Given the pricing, which also affects the motherboards? Like i said, am grateful; you may have some idea of my personality already, lol, so as you may have guessed, me and grateful don't often match ^^
As to the why i'm mentioning the 1800X and not the 2700X, keep reading.

- I don't like the PB2, PB+, PB Pro, XFR turbo injection shenanigans introduced with the latest iteration. I may be particular and overly demanding, but i retain a sense of measure. Running your CPU 24/7 at 1.55volts because your mobo tells you "that's fine" is criminal. This is bad business, bad PR and a bad technological precedent, in terms of the mentality it fosters. Because this CPU can and does degrade above 1.420ish. No one, no one should praise, let alone advocate the use of these algorythms. No one.
(even if the benefit was immense, which it is not)
I sincerely hope this charade meets an early demise. I know it 'worked', i grasp why; doesn't change anything.

- Which brings me to the Zen+ iteration. I'm not sure what to think here.. slightly better memory-related performance, that's a fact, so that's one. But other than that? You run the CPU like any sane person would (OCing is one thing, killing it because you buy a new one every 6 months? That's.. different), you're looking at a performance so close to that of the 1800X i cannot even resemble it to Intel's tick-tock; it's even less of a 'leap' than that parody ever amounted to. Yes, if one is building now, all the better, but isn't that always the case? Hype and reality don't quite match for me.
I could see a cheap ass rig, with bad RAMs, etc. existing just fine with a Zen+, whereas it wouldn't before, but Internet being what it is, i can only blame the consumer for ignorance. You can have a cheap ass rig that works fine with the first gen; just fine in fact, so that's out too.
I guess you can say my excitement was curbed with Zen+ :)

- Agesas arriving as packages rather than open code is a practice they need reconsider, if not downright stop. They don't have the budget to cook their own BIOSes like the blue team does; fine. They could at least have made it easier for everyone by allowing the board makers to work with them. It is ludicrous that year of our Lord 2018 and the chief programmer needs to guess; guess. They run a mobo and try, empirically, to see what happens, out of which empirical notes collection they make changes. Because a) they have no clue what happens, b) AMD does not say, even if you ask.
I know why they do it and it's no excuse. They rip each other off anyway, let's be honest here. This is hyperbole and one that comes with a cost.

[you may have noticed i've refrained from mentioning their 'low' overclocking potential, or the opposing team's better frequencies/better singe-threaded performance. That's because in reality, the difference amounts to buck all; placebo. One of the benefits of age, you no longer buy with ego as the driving force]

Now all that said, yes, major progress, no, got no regrets, yes, am still primarily an AMD customer.. or at least consider me one. I'm just weary i guess; the hype in the last one is strong and i don't know what's more worrying: That AMD continues its trend of hyping the hell out of everything, or that the degree of immaturity out there is such that no one really minds..
To be continued/ammended when the inevitable 2950X purchase occurs.

* Give me the next 30 minutes or so for the necessary editing.. fossils do it differently :)

Last edited:
I had three ryzen 1700 systems and one Intel 6850k System in my hand at the same time last summer. I picked the Intel 6850k System. “Shrug”. I liked the Ryzen 1700, but at the similar price I bought the outgoingf x99 setup - I thought the x99 / 6850k was slightly superior for my use which is primary gaming.

I don’t know what kind of Intel slowdown/hiccup you are talking about and I’ve been around the block with many machines as well.

The Ryzen 1700. 1700x and 1800x systems are super nice and I like them a lot and recommend them and build them for customers without reservation. —- but I have no problem with Intel either

An asrock z270 extreme motherboard with a 7700k at 4.8ghz and a samsung 960 evo NVME booted up significantly faster than any other system I’ve ever put together. It literally was about 3 seconds from cold start to to usable desktop. I’ve not seen a Ryzen compete with that - and I’ve built a dozen of them. My current 6850k setup certainly is slower feeling than that 7700k System - but gaming and benchmarks don’t show the delta and I’d rather have 6 or 8 cores for a future use case than a quad core now that happens to feel a bit snappier. It seemed to me the 6850k was spitting the difference between the 7700k and the Ryzen 1700 when I picked last summer.

Last edited:
1.55 volts?

Two top tier mobos, two different brands, both well respected; both have the CPU sit at around 1.5ish, easy jumps at 1.55 when the nitro kicks in.
(already used the turbo injection..)

As to the X99 setup mentioned above, you mirror my response tbh, /shrug
By the time your extra 'insert number' FPSs gained from your Intel will make any meaningful difference, ie by the time you're going to actually need those extra FPSs to stay above 60? You'll have long switched to a newer rig. Or most would. Should.
My 6900k, OCed at 4.5 all 8 cores, couple with everything else in that rig, cost twice as much as the 1800X rig did. More actually, but let's say twice, nice and round. Ask me how i felt about that when i run the 1800X :)
And mind, you, i did not say 1700, i said 1800X. Barring a lucky draw, the 1800X overclocks higher, the 1800X can support higher RAM freqs/tighter timings. Slightly in both cases, but more nonetheless. Given the pricing, i honestly would not ever consider a 1700 back then, as i didn't consider the slower Zen+ this time around. It's rather.. funny(?).. seeing people paying grand after grand on Intel rigs going cheapmode on AMD CPUs.. and then comparing.

* as to your never having noticed the hiccup thingy, well if neither my word nor that of others is enough, try running a heavy workload; vectors, decoding, something heavy, use a process lasso to artificially control the core segmentation (to help you see it i mean). Come back to me.

Again though, just continuing the conversation. If for whatever reason more FPSs is your sole criteria for a purchase, you obviously go at it accordingly. Lower cores, faster RAM, Intel CPU; you ticked all the right points.

Archaea if i ask what's a rebate.. will you answer me, lol.. 'cause i don't know! Forty rebates sounds kinda bad :S
(never mind, am lazy, but not that much; googleing now)

Last edited:
The 1.5V is unheard of, certainly not encountered this , you using which software for read out ?
Even in the bios does it do that ?

What is your method of cooling ?

I see 1.55V often as well, according to Ryzen Master, while the system is semi-idle where a core or two is doing something briefly.
Full idle is 0.83125V.
It jumps around a lot, from 0.83125V to 1.55V and everywhere in between, depending on what is going on at that moment.
BIOS is set to Auto CPU Voltage. OCing memory to 3200 Stilt Fast Timing profile. PE level 2, CPB Enabled. BIOS 0601.
EDIT: I rechecked the BIOS and I was using CPU Voltage Offset mode, -0.1000V, not Auto.
Switching to Auto CPU voltage shows swings of 0.79375V to 1.5375V.
rm_155.png rm_083.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Aenra
like this
Yeah my bad I should have stated across all cores rather then what I wrote.

You somehow appear to think that i'm not only clueless, but also that this is some idyllic world where no one uses a white lie to sell his product.
Unless of course you have misunderstood what i was saying.

So.. get yourself any top tier mobo, activate the turbo injection nitro+ PB related settings and then start doing some tests. Then you may get back to me.
And because this happens often in this forum, somehow, let me be clearer that no, i am not talking about idleing, and that no, sustained 1.5ish voltage is a killer for this chip. Even if your Robert wants you to think otherwise.

You somehow appear to think that i'm not only clueless, but also that this is some idyllic world where no one uses a white lie to sell his product.
Unless of course you have misunderstood what i was saying.

So.. get yourself any top tier mobo, activate the turbo injection nitro+ PB related settings and then start doing some tests. Then you may get back to me.
And because this happens often in this forum, somehow, let me be clearer that no, i am not talking about idleing, and that no, sustained 1.5ish voltage is a killer for this chip. Even if your Robert wants you to think otherwise.

There might be some issues with specific boards that I'm not aware of but it doesn't seem to be common from what I've read and that hasn't been my experience on a Crosshair 7 using up to performance enhancement mode 3 which already exceeds AMD's normal precision boost specs. If some boards PBO modes are running the CPU at a sustained 1.5v they shouldn't be but it's the board manufacturers fault not AMD's since they're the ones releasing an unsupported feature in beta form, also if an unsupported feature doesn't work right then don't use it.

The only thing I've seen from AMD on the subject including the above quote is that short blips up to 1.55v at idle are safe but if sustained or under load it's not, I tend to believe them since they're the ones that provide the warranty. They also claim that with the way the CPU cores request voltage* the only way to feed the CPU too much voltage is with an offset since it's based off of the requested voltage, this makes what you're saying even less likely unless some PBO modes are disabling this or using an offset which would just be foolish for an auto mode.

*I realize this is based off of an algorithm to predict but it's constantly monitoring and updating those predictions, also again I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they face a lot of returns if they're wrong.

Sustained 1.5V? I'm not seeing that. Short bursts at idle, that's it. All-core load (CB15) I see 1.4625V maximum.

+ They lack my number one issue with any Pre-Skylake Intel, namely that sudden.. pause? Hicccup? That often occurs with Intel CPUs. You had a lot of them, you probably know what i'm talking about, everything 'feels' fast and all of a sudden, for no discernible reason, you get a slow down, nothing to throw yourself off a cliff for, but noticeable nonetheless. And just when you think 'wtf', it's back to normal again.
This is also something that stood for previous generations of AMD CPUs. Happy to find it still prevalent.

Oh man, YES! I absolutely know what you're talking about. I've spent a good 4 years on an AMD FX-6300 after my i5 2500 died within two years of purchase. Everything worked fine. Then I got an i5 8400 last year, and this stupid "hiccup" thing keeps happening, it's so annoying. You say it's pre-skylake, but it happens on my Kaby Lake. That never, ever happened on my FX-6300. In fact, while more of an annoyance than actual problem, it's convinced me to upgrade to the next Ryzen release when I upgrade in 2019.

Reactions: Aenra
like this
Oh man, YES! I absolutely know what you're talking about. I've spent a good 4 years on an AMD FX-6300 after my i5 2500 died within two years of purchase. Everything worked fine. Then I got an i5 8400 last year, and this stupid "hiccup" thing keeps happening, it's so annoying. You say it's pre-skylake, but it happens on my Kaby Lake. That never, ever happened on my FX-6300. In fact, while more of an annoyance than actual problem, it's convinced me to upgrade to the next Ryzen release when I upgrade in 2019.

Sound like dpc latency. there are 3rd party tools to measure this.

I admit i refrained from answering/replying any further, as i'm not the kind of person that will try too hard in these things.. just no point.

It did however occur to me that i may have been misunderstood, so just to clarify:
(again, not into 'disproving' anyone disagreeing, free world and all)

- These CPUs can and do degrade above 1.42.
They do indeed fluctuate in their voltages a lot more than any Intel, as per design, yes, but they still have cetain limitations. No mater how these are phrased or explained. By the dude doing part of the PR nonetheless..

- I was talking about the board-specced PBO turbo injection nitro presets; not AMD's PBO.

- And i stated why i disagree, because (and this gets me to the naysayers above), these presets come with offsets to vcore; offsets than when applied do bring the CPU above 1.5, and not while at idle, meaning the amperage is there too when this happens. Criminal.
And yeah sure, one need only refrain from using such a preset; but why would they? If they paid for "good cooling" and Asus/Gigbyte/AsRock says "it's OK" to activate those, "we only have a warning because it gets hot", why shouldn't they? See what i mean? You cannot possibly expect every owner to have this level of information, the vast majority will simply 'trust' the board maker. Or children like Derbauer making videos advising, actually advising, lol, to not only use those presets, but actually increase the offset even further..!

These are all facts, but one's welcome to think any ole way one pleases about them.

As to latency issues (regarding the Intel 'flaw' i mentioned above), good catch, but it's not that. Whatever the cause, it's in the silicon and it is..was.. intentional; power-related? Bottleneck-related? Ring/mesh-related? I cannot know that.

I admit i refrained from answering/replying any further, as i'm not the kind of person that will try too hard in these things.. just no point.

It did however occur to me that i may have been misunderstood, so just to clarify:
(again, not into 'disproving' anyone disagreeing, free world and all)

- These CPUs can and do degrade above 1.42.
They do indeed fluctuate in their voltages a lot more than any Intel, as per design, yes, but they still have cetain limitations. No mater how these are phrased or explained. By the dude doing part of the PR nonetheless..

- I was talking about the board-specced PBO turbo injection nitro presets; not AMD's PBO.

- And i stated why i disagree, because (and this gets me to the naysayers above), these presets come with offsets to vcore; offsets than when applied do bring the CPU above 1.5, and not while at idle, meaning the amperage is there too when this happens. Criminal.
And yeah sure, one need only refrain from using such a preset; but why would they? If they paid for "good cooling" and Asus/Gigbyte/AsRock says "it's OK" to activate those, "we only have a warning because it gets hot", why shouldn't they? See what i mean? You cannot possibly expect every owner to have this level of information, the vast majority will simply 'trust' the board maker. Or children like Derbauer making videos advising, actually advising, lol, to not only use those presets, but actually increase the offset even further..!

These are all facts, but one's welcome to think any ole way one pleases about them.

As to latency issues (regarding the Intel 'flaw' i mentioned above), good catch, but it's not that. Whatever the cause, it's in the silicon and it is..was.. intentional; power-related? Bottleneck-related? Ring/mesh-related? I cannot know that.

Been using 1.45 volts on my 1700x since launch and it's just fine, I think the engineers know what will work and wont work better then you and I do. While high voltage can shorten a chips life it's meant to run over 10 years and I dont think many here plan to keep a chip that long anyway. I have one more year to go since I plan to change the cpu when Ryzen goes 7nm. We dont need a motherboard manufacture that imposes artificial limits on us to save the stupid from themselves. Also the vast majority dont overclock their chips.

since launch ... I have one more year to go

How can i politely point the obvious? American culture often coins it with patronising.

You're not the average user; an average user does not hold the CPU for a year, a year and a half before changing it. People just don't set rigs with such a mentality. You can run it at 1.5v, you'll still make it probably. But you're so outside the norm (as dictated by the averages) i just.. i mean, are you incapable of grasping this on your own? You are but need to inform us regardless?
It's a weird social science, forums. Might be age, but i swear it eludes me.

Anyway, you, with your standards, you're golden no matter what.

I seriously doubt that the standard PB2 will cause degradation within the lifespan of the chip. You're talking about the chip lasting 30 years vs. 15 years. Look at all those 2600k's that still are running 4.7+ Ghz with extra voltage after 7+ years. Sure, some of them are starting to degrade now, but it's 7 years old. Well within the "average" computer upgrade cycle.

How can i politely point the obvious? American culture often coins it with patronising.

You're not the average user; an average user does not hold the CPU for a year, a year and a half before changing it. People just don't set rigs with such a mentality. You can run it at 1.5v, you'll still make it probably. But you're so outside the norm (as dictated by the averages) i just.. i mean, are you incapable of grasping this on your own? You are but need to inform us regardless?
It's a weird social science, forums. Might be age, but i swear it eludes me.

Anyway, you, with your standards, you're golden no matter what.

Let me politely point out the obvious.

This part is a normal statement and you could have left it at that:

You're not the average user; an average user does not hold the CPU for a year, a year and a half before changing it.

This part is where you're being patronizing:

But you're so outside the norm (as dictated by the averages) i just.. i mean, are you incapable of grasping this on your own? You are but need to inform us regardless?

You know, just in case you're incapable of grasping this on your own. ;)

Here is the thing , yes you can have worse circumstances revolving around higher voltage but don't forget these things tend to need to have some other things happen before you get it to snowball for it to break.

If you use insanely bad cooling or a case where heat gets trapped.
Unlucky on the silicon, I mean really unlucky a chip that just made it past the testing.

There are some thing regarding Ryzen that you should also keep in mind this chip has so many sensors and those should fail as well for bad things to happen see it as a "if then"statement for most of the features (PB2 XFR) on the cpu to work correctly.

I had the 1700x with a Gigabyte mITX board. I currently have a mITX 7700k @ 5ghz system, a 7700HQ @ 3.6ghz laptop, and an i7-870 @ 3.6ghz (I think) system. The 5Ghz 7700k is in a league of it's own for everything I do (gaming, web browsing, general usage); it's like riding in a rocket ship compared to the 1700x at 3.9ghz. The 1700x felt about the same as the 7700HQ laptop for my usage scenarios which isn't remarkably different from the the old ass 870. Honestly the i5-6600k @ 4.5ghz that I upgraded to the 7700k from felt faster than the 1700x for almost all of my usage (the 6600k was substantially faster in LoL at 1080p even with the lowly RX570). A friend of mine upgraded from a i5-4590k to an 1800x and returned it because, "It didn't feel any faster so decided to use the money on things that I'll notice" and bought a new chair and monitor instead.

My time with Ryzen was using the same hardware that I have in the 7700k system: 16GB DDR4-3000, 960EVO, RX570. Now this was also back in February so maybe new updates have improved it but other than the amazingly low CPU usage I wasn't impressed.

If you're a big streamer or do content creation or something else that will use all those cores then Ryzen makes a lot of sense; if you're not then it's kind of meh.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that the standard PB2

Another one..
I am NOT talking about AMD's precision boost.. NOT. I even mentioned it like two or three times :)
Next time ima draw you some pictures!

Bankie Honestly? If your sig is anywhere close to reality, you deserve Intel's hype and Intel deserves you.
I do not know why anyone in their right mind would have a 5K overclocked chip.. with a 3000 frequency RAM, lol. Learn something every day i guess..
I'm also not in a postion to know how/what with you run your 1700 with; i do know Ryzen mini-ITX boards lack all the crucial features that a Ryzen needs to run tip top (which is normal, mini-ITX is not for performance) and i do now know that your criteria are a touch flawed, given, again, your sig specs; leading me to wonder whether you comprehend all this? Before judging? And whether the 1700 was set up in a way similar to that of your Intel? 'Cause i could see that explaining things.

For what it's worth, a well-built Ryzen rig feels faster and snappier than a low HEDT Intel. It definitely feels faster and snappier than any non-HEDT Intel. I own several and can testify to that. Again though, i kinda pay attention to what i'm buying, how i set things up.
Now Intel does have an edge in most games, as they do indeed have an edge in frequencies. But again, your criteria, your deserving Intel and Intel deserving you.. why? Because any 6 or 8 core Ryzen with most contemporary GPUs gives out enough FPS for any game.. the rest is excess, ego, e-peen stroking.; the rest are FPS you do nothing with, have no use for. Well, except saying you have it i guess.
Sole exception being one's "gaming" on some needlessly large monitor (which is apparently a trend nowadays), in which case, as i was saying to someone(?), Intel is the go-to. Although even there, resolution being GPU-bound, the difference in CPUs is nothing to write home about. Again, am talking about practical difference, not theoretical.

Lastly, try a 6900K, a 7920X or something of that caliber. First.
Then try a 2700X with a measly 3200 RAM, nothing grand.
Then, and only then, come back and tell me about "how it feels".

(a bit aggressive a tone, i know. But really, the more "gamers" i get to [try] and talk with, the more disheartened i become. You people are a special breed, for reasons too many to list here; one and primary of which being that year of our Lord 2018, all you need is a 4core, some RGB, and plenty of pew pew; although that's three reasons, lol)

Aenra

Let me start with pointing out I highly recommend Ryzen systems, and I'd build one myself if I was building a new system from scratch right now. My current system is a 6850K @ 4.2Ghz.

I will continue though that the overclocked 7700k and a 270 board does feel REALLY snappy. I'd even go as far as agreeing with rocket ship fast. There's something about it that just feels extra snappy at desktop. Even compared to something more powerful like my 6850k or the Ryzen systems. They boot in 3 seconds - to the desktop, they install Windows 10 in 5 minutes. Everything just 'feel's' super fast. That said - it's not like a Ryzen or my 6850k feels slow. But I'm just saying as someone who has built about a dozen systems this year to resell or use. ((6) Ryzen 1700 or 1700x, (2) 7770K, (1) 6850K, (4) Pentium G4560) --- there is something to the way that 270 chipset and the 7700k feel. It's the fastest feeling system I've ever used.

This is the one I'm specifically talking about - that felt so nice and snappy.
https://hardforum.com/threads/beast...-4-8ghz-32gb-ram-10tb-rgb-everything.1937455/

I have those same components in my 6850K (960 NVME, 1080TI, etc) and it doesn't 'feel' as fast --- nor did the Ryzen's I built. That said I'd still chose a multicore system like the newer Intel or Ryzen over a 4 core system because I think they'll last longer for DX12 gaming and general use with the extra cores.

Also, FWIW, the 7700k I built with a 170 board didn't feel any faster than my 6850k or a Ryzen 1700. it was only that AS Rock Extreme Z270 4 board's 270 chipset. Both 7700ks were overclocked to 4.8Ghz. Both systems had a 1080TI in them.

Again - I build several systems a year for clients or just to have fun - so I have hands on more than just my own equipment. Subjectively speaking - there may be some truth to Bankie's statement as it relates to his experience. AGAIN - NOT THAT RYZEN or other Intel is slow feeling - just that a 7700k overclocked with the 270 board does feel faster somehow in day to day desktop use. I've not had my hands on Intel 8th gen yet, and yes I'd still pick a Ryzen if I was building a system RIGHT now today for the price/performance characteristic.

Last edited:
Another one..
I am NOT talking about AMD's precision boost.. NOT. I even mentioned it like two or three times :)
Next time ima draw you some pictures!

Bankie Honestly? If your sig is anywhere close to reality, you deserve Intel's hype and Intel deserves you.
I do not know why anyone in their right mind would have a 5K overclocked chip.. with a 3000 frequency RAM, lol. Learn something every day i guess..
I'm also not in a postion to know how/what with you run your 1700 with; i do know Ryzen mini-ITX boards lack all the crucial features that a Ryzen needs to run tip top (which is normal, mini-ITX is not for performance) and i do now know that your criteria are a touch flawed, given, again, your sig specs; leading me to wonder whether you comprehend all this? Before judging? And whether the 1700 was set up in a way similar to that of your Intel? 'Cause i could see that explaining things.

For what it's worth, a well-built Ryzen rig feels faster and snappier than a low HEDT Intel. It definitely feels faster and snappier than any non-HEDT Intel. I own several and can testify to that. Again though, i kinda pay attention to what i'm buying, how i set things up.
Now Intel does have an edge in most games, as they do indeed have an edge in frequencies. But again, your criteria, your deserving Intel and Intel deserving you.. why? Because any 6 or 8 core Ryzen with most contemporary GPUs gives out enough FPS for any game.. the rest is excess, ego, e-peen stroking.; the rest are FPS you do nothing with, have no use for. Well, except saying you have it i guess.
Sole exception being one's "gaming" on some needlessly large monitor (which is apparently a trend nowadays), in which case, as i was saying to someone(?), Intel is the go-to. Although even there, resolution being GPU-bound, the difference in CPUs is nothing to write home about. Again, am talking about practical difference, not theoretical.

Lastly, try a 6900K, a 7920X or something of that caliber. First.
Then try a 2700X with a measly 3200 RAM, nothing grand.
Then, and only then, come back and tell me about "how it feels".

(a bit aggressive a tone, i know. But really, the more "gamers" i get to [try] and talk with, the more disheartened i become. You people are a special breed, for reasons too many to list here; one and primary of which being that year of our Lord 2018, all you need is a 4core, some RGB, and plenty of pew pew; although that's three reasons, lol)

You have no idea what you're talking about. Ryzen is good but each core IS lower performing than an equally-clocked Intel core (and even moreso when the Intel CPU is in the 4.7ghz - 5.2ghz range) and guess what normal usage benefits much more from: a couple of highly clocked single cores. DDR4-3000 was easily available and $60 for 16GB when I bought it and is what I used on my i5-6600k and now the 7700k; you're a complete maroon if you think going to 3200 is going to give a huge benefit over it. It's hilarious that you think that the 0-3% improvement from 200mhz faster memory is more useful than the 0-20% extra performance you get from an Intel in Gaming/General usage. mITX boards perform just as well as full ATX boards; the only thing they sometimes lack is in overclocking due to lesser power regulation. Not sure why you're concerned over my sig; I have an AMD GPU and I updated it to 5ghz as 4.6ghz was before I delidded it. Everything else is the same.

RYZEN IS FINE in general usage and EXCELLENT in scenarios where the cores can be utilized. But RYZEN is not Athlon or Athlon XP. I had both and they were far and away better than their Intel counterparts which is why I used them. Hell I had to cut up my Slot A Athlon 750 to install a Goldfinger adapter so I could get it up to 900mhz and had a Thermaltake full copper heatsink on the XP with an 8000RPM Delta Fan that was louder than anything I've heard since and would remove your fingers at a moment's notice on top of that. Ryzen gives you a lot of cores for the money but that doesn't necessarily always mean better performance.

Last edited:
I bought my 2700X today - MicroCenter (Houston) had it on sale for $299
Waiting now for my memory that I bought from NewEgg yesterday to arrive and then I can build

- I don't like the PB2, PB+, PB Pro, XFR turbo injection shenanigans introduced with the latest iteration. I may be particular and overly demanding, but i retain a sense of measure. Running your CPU 24/7 at 1.55volts because your mobo tells you "that's fine" is criminal. This is bad business, bad PR and a bad technological precedent, in terms of the mentality it fosters. Because this CPU can and does degrade above 1.420ish. No one, no one should praise, let alone advocate the use of these algorythms. No one.
(even if the benefit was immense, which it is not)
I sincerely hope this charade meets an early demise. I know it 'worked', i grasp why; doesn't change anything.

While I don't think you may be responding to people in the correct way, I can relate to having unintentionally used the wrong tone when trying to convey my thoughts to someone...

Be that as it may, I feel that this is not a valid point to mention against AMD/Ryzen, as that is what your post is intended to be about. The majority of your point revolves around voltage and a safe level of it; however, as you've pointed out later on, you are NOT running it under the base conditions. You may also try to state that it is your right to do that as the options are there for you to utilize, but that's moot in terms of this thread's scope. Why? Because it's your motherboard maker's choice to have deployed it that way, not AMD's. Furthermore, not all motherboards USE a Voltage Offset method, my MSI Titanium lacks any Offset options, and before removing the PBO options, those lacked it as well. I can't say for certain if these were hidden options or not as I lack a Zen+ chip, but I suspect they were. I only know of them through modding my BIOS and them being there in the editor. Which they were very much the options that AMD presented, unmolested or tweaked for "best case scenarios" like with ASUS's.

I also get the impression that the way the AMD chips work is that they request a voltage, but may not even be feeding the actual cores directly with that, instead regulating that higher voltage down internally. Or perhaps it's treated similar to a series of LEDs where more voltage is fed but which doesn't burn them out due to how diodes work, but if that same voltage were to be applied to just one of the LEDs, well *poof*!

On a lot of the points you respond to I understand where you're coming from, but your execution is something left to be desired. In all honesty? You say these people are unique and a strange breed, but how you're coming across and perceive things, I can't help but say that you're more the unique one... :shy: No offense.

Back