Ryzen Build Dilemma...

NovaCloud

Gawd
So currently I have a 3770k 4.6 GHz/2133MHz DDR3 RAM/ 6TB Seagate RAIO 0(For gaming storage)/1080TI FE hanging out in my Corsair Air 540 case... I use this for gaming..

I happen to stop by Microcenter and they ended up having that $100 off sale with a Ryzen 1700X and I noticed when I was there they had the X370 Taichi in stock.. So I kinda ended up on an impulse buy and bought 1700X/X370Taichi/Samsung 960 EVO 250GB nvme/2TB Firecuda/S340 elite white case and soon have on the way some 3200 Gskill ram/Kraken X62 from newegg...

My real question is... Am I going to notice any benefit to gaming with this setup? Other then wanting to build a pretty white theme tempered glass case, I am having a hard time justifying buying all this shit(good shit)... I have yet to tell my wife I just bought all of this and now I am have second thoughts.. Can any of my fellow [H]'ers convince me to keep this stuff?? Should I just say a huge electrical surge came thru and blew up my computer? lol.. I honestly think I just have a complete upgrade itch...

Overall it should be a huge performance bump, even if you don't overclock it to the moon. As far as gaming goes, you should see a reasonable improvement in FPS and especially load times.

I totally understand the upgrade itch :cool:.

Plenty of Reddit threads and the like on this.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1PWix

Return the NVMe if you already have a SSD. It's not going to give you more FPS. Why do you need the Firecuda? Can you use the same case you have today? Liquid Cooling might overclock 50mhz higher than air. Return the Kraken and buy a Noctua NH-U12S (AM4). Return the 1700X and buy a 1700. The 1700 and 1700X overclock to similar speeds +/- 100Mhz. Overclock the 1700.

There.

Savings:
$130-Samsung SSD Return
$100-Firecuda Return
$100-S340 Elite
$60-Swap Kraken for Noctua
$50-Swap Ryzen 1700X for 1700

Total Savings: $440

You still get to keep Ryzen. You get performance. You feel less guilty.

If the 1700X can last you as long as the other cpu did why would you be worried about anything , unless you have a pre arranged marriage your wife prolly knows a little bit about you.
I agree with DMFD-Minister that water cooling might seem a really good idea for this setup but in reality "we" haven't seen anything where water cooling would add something substantial to the table in overclocking performance where a chip on air did 3.7ghz and a water cooling setup would have 4.2/4.3 stable

Last edited:
I agree that if you want to save some money, the nvme drive can go back. Windows is plenty snappy on SATA3 for most purposes, and nvme drive prices are only going to go down if you feel it's getting sluggish later.

The Kraken is a great unit also but, as others have said, there's little apparent benefit to heavy-duty cooling on Ryzen right now - the chips run pretty cool, and the overclocking headroom in them is low for other reasons than thermals, so you can send that back if you have some Big Air to fall back on with a mounting plate upgrade.

Other stuff is a matter of taste.

Thanks all for the advice.. I really appreciate it. I decided to wait a week before making a decision on what to do.. But all of what you guys said are valid points.. I will probably end up returning some of this stuff since realistically, I am just blowing money for no good reason... I guess I just got slap happy about upgrading everything lol..

I'd keep the 960 EVO NVMe and maybe go get the 1700 instead of the 1700X. Then you can use the Spire Heatsink on that puppy.

Didn't even think about the Spire - it's actually a good heatsink and will overclock easy 3.7 according to what I watched the other week.

No point in returning the 1700X since it has $100 bundle discount and the 1700 only has $50. They are break even cost right now.

lol.. so i ended up return most the stuff.. kept the case at least... procrastinating pretty much made wait for threadripper now.... although i am tempted whenever i look on the for sale forum though.. lol

Back