Ryzen BIOS Tweak Test For PBO Override Boost clocks

gerardfraser

[H]ard|Gawd
Tested the tweak and thought I would drop this here for anyone interested.Tweak has been around since July/August but works fine now with updated Motherboard BIOS/AMD Chipset.

Here is one thread on the tweak,there are others.Read thread to try it out.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1741052-edc-1-pbo-turbo-boost.html

AMD 3800X Battlefield 5 2560x1440 Ultra settings

Default BIOS setting @60 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4350Mhz - 4425Mhz - Avg 4400Mhz
BIOS boost EDC set to 1A @60 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4475Mhz - 4550Mhz - Avg 4525Mhz
BIOS boost EDC set to 10A @60 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4500Mhz - 4575Mhz - Avg 4525Mhz
BIOS boost EDC set to 1A @120 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4450Mhz - 4525Mhz - Avg 4475Mhz

Thanks for this! I gained 75 MHz on each core, now i'm boosting to 4500 on my 3600x. The only way it works for me is setting EDC to 1

what's the point of the higher clock speed if you are limiting FPS? you technically aren't gaining any perfomance. with the 1usmus ryzen universal powerplan and his recommended bios settings my 3800X is boosting to 4515 on stock cooler and i am not limiting my fps/perfomance. and that's w/ all the pbo stuff disabled.

have you guys tried that at all?

edit: still deciding on cooler think i'm going noctua d15 but now i just bought a new monitor. so pushed it another couple weeks out.

Thanks for this! I gained 75 MHz on each core, now i'm boosting to 4500 on my 3600x. The only way it works for me is setting EDC to 1

Sure no problem,I would test different Windows power plans for best results. Single threaded applications can throttle with different power plans

what's the point of the higher clock speed if you are limiting FPS? you technically aren't gaining any perfomance. with the 1usmus ryzen universal powerplan and his recommended bios settings my 3800X is boosting to 4515 on stock cooler and i am not limiting my fps/perfomance. and that's w/ all the pbo stuff disabled.

edit: still deciding on cooler think i'm going noctua d15 but now i just bought a new monitor. so pushed it another couple weeks out.

Well I only used a 27" 4K 60Hz IPS Freesync monitor over displayport
Well I only used 65" 4K 120Hz OLED G-sync Compatible monitor over HDMi-get this on a Nvidia card
I was going to include my 165Hz TN G-sync monitor over displayport but I went fishing to see what I could catch...or I could give the real reason.

Last edited:

Higher clock speed with capped FPS would be beneficial by reducing FPS dips

Back