Ryzen 9 Pro v 3900 v 3950

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
I have the upgrade itch/

Budget wise I likely need to do a part at a time. Since I can use a gen 3 cpu in my current mobo that is likely my first step.

I could also go mobo first though that would be much more work.

I ran across the Ryzen 9 Pro when I was looking at CPU's supported by my Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero. My powers of google cant seem to tell me what is different between the Pro and a 3900 other then clock speed/tdp. If they are the same can I use a mechanical pencil to upgrade?

Picking between the 3900x and the 3950x is being a difficult choice for me. Upgrading over time, say a big part (cpu/mobo/ram/pcie 4 nvme) ever 2-3 months means the price difference isnt a super big deal. For gaming / browsing though it doesnt seem to be much of a difference.

Any thoughts?

Cool thank you...

Anyone know the specifics of the security? Worth it at home at all?
Memory encryption and some management stuff. Not really something essential for home use and they are OEM only afaik. Can you buy them PIB style via retail channels now?

Memory encryption and some management stuff. Not really something essential for home use and they are OEM only afaik. Can you buy them PIB style via retail channels now?

Not that I am aware. I just got curious when I was checking if I could stick a 3900/3950 in my current mobo and say them on the supported cpu list.

As you say not specific features I am interested in.

Ah - just found this: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/guardmi

When I was living in Concord I could get OEM CPU's at Frys.

What’s your primary use of the system?

how long do you generallly keep a processor, on average?

what do you have right now?

how do you intend to cool it?

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-pro
more security, more manageable and for some reason i thought the had a longer warranty.
also better ECC memory support if i remember correctly or at least that's how it was with previous generations. personally don't care about ECC so that's about as much as i know.

but yeah i thought pro series was a 5 year warranty. now i can't find anything saying if it's different so not sure anymore.

What’s your primary use of the system?

how long do you generallly keep a processor, on average?

what do you have right now?

how do you intend to cool it?

I am not interested in a pro series cpu for myself. Unless it is cheaper with the same performance :) I was just curious what it was.

As for usage:
Gaming, web browsing, gaming, netflix, gaming, amazon prime, gaming, and some web browsing/quora which I find strangely addicting.

I have had specific CPU's like the FX8350 for years others for 6 months or less all depending on my budget and what upgrades are out there.

As for what I have now read the tag line.

Ah. I have sig display turned off. So you’ve got an 1800x already - most recommendations for gaming systems suggest the 3600, maybe the 3700. The bigger procs generally are also recommended with liquid cooling - aio or otherwise.

If you expect you’ll be upgrading again in a year I wouldn’t bother with a 3900/3950. By the time something comes along that could use the extra cores you’d have moved on. But a 3700 would be a decent upgrade, unless you game at 4K.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU-2019/2224

Game wise something like the 3800x or 3700x(OC) will pretty much be the same with a 3900x or 3950x. If you have any tasks that need those extra cores from a 3900 or 3950 that would be the only real reason to upgrade to one of those. I have a 3900x in an ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero and it works rather well. 3800x are going for $339 and 3700x for like $298, 3900x $434. For the CH6 and just for gaming I would get the 3800x, now if later I would put the CPU in one of my smaller builds the 3700x (65w CPU). I have three Ryzen systems, if I upgrade one CPU, they all get upgraded.

Forgot to mention. Only reason someone like you might find pro interesting is the management engine/additional die parts, could require a better bin of silicon with lower defect rate (more die area is required to be defect free for a Pro). That said the yield might be so high it's just a case of not disabling them rather than sorting which ones work or not.

Back