Ryzen 9 5950x + 128GB ECC RAM

chiu

Limp Gawd
I heard that all Ryzen CPUs support ECC RAMs.
I plan to build a new PC with Ryzen 9 5950x and 128GB ECC RAMs.
Can you suggest the hardware components for this build?

They should support ecc unbuffered. Go with 4x32GB dimms. Probably the only way you'll get to 128GB.

I think the only boards actually "officially" supporting ecc are the the ASRock Rack ($230 @ Amazon, $200 @ Newegg) boards as well as the Asus X570-Ace WS ($350 at Newegg, Amazon)

Be aware most ecc unbuff ram isn't availble over ddr4-3200 and CL less than 21 or 22, compared to desktop ram which can be cl16/14, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They should support ecc unbuffered. Go with 4x32GB dimms. Probably the only way you'll get to 128GB.

I think the only boards actually "officially" supporting ecc are the the ASRock Rack ($230 @ Amazon, $200 @ Newegg) boards as well as the Asus X570-Ace WS ($350 at Newegg, Amazon)

Be aware most ecc unbuff ram isn't availble over ddr4-3200 and CL less than 21 or 22, compared to desktop ram which can be cl16/14, etc.

Thank you for the information. The reliability of ECC RAM is more important than a few % speed increase for servers.

Can someone suggest a brand of DDR4-3200 ECC unbuffered RAM? I cannot find it on Amazon...

Moreover, I am looking into Gigabyte Aorus x570 master motherboard. Can it get ECC RAM working?

Thanks again.

Chiu

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for the information. The reliability of ECC RAM is more important than a few % speed increase for servers.

Can someone suggest a brand of DDR4-3200 ECC unbuffered RAM? I cannot find it on Amazon...

Moreover, I am looking into Gigabyte Aorus x570 master motherboard. Can it get ECC RAM working?

Thanks again.

Chiu
I'll tel ya a trick. For niche stuff like ecc unbuffered, look up part #s at crucial or kingston, and then hit up ShopBLT. :)

Usually cheaper than Amazon/Egg with more selection for that stuff.

Disclaimer: I haven't used shopblt but it's on my list when I make a similar server. Also: The workstation/ace board is on sale for $280 now down from $350 I think at newegg. Edit: Just looked and amazon matched!

Thanks again.

Chiu
If you want reliability, I'd stick with the vendors that officially support it. At a minimum, Asus tends to have the best support.

If ECC stability is really a prime concern, wouldn’t it just be better to go with something server grade in the first place? Last gen Epyc or Xeon ?

If ECC stability is really a prime concern, wouldn’t it just be better to go with something server grade in the first place? Last gen Epyc or Xeon ?

I believe Ryzen can offer the same level of reliability as Epyc and Zeon platforms, as long as they support ECC RAMs.

Moreover, Epyc and Zeon platforms are way more expensive.

Any nub friendly guides to overclock these mofo setups? First time grabbing an AMD since Athlon X2 3800+.

If I was concerned about reliability for a white box server build an Intel nic of whatever speed and port density would be #1 on my list.

128gb ram isn't very dense, that's entry level bladeserver territory. The advantage of a vendor built blade or SOHO server would be less hassle going thru the white box component matrix for whatever workloads you plan on running.

If I was concerned about reliability for a white box server build an Intel nic of whatever speed and port density would be #1 on my list.

128gb ram isn't very dense, that's entry level bladeserver territory. The advantage of a vendor built blade or SOHO server would be less hassle going thru the white box component matrix for whatever workloads you plan on running.
Thanks. But what is the cost?

OP, you really should probably read this, focusing on the ECC section

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11891/best-cpus-for-workstations

Sure you can have a CPU that unofficially supports ECC, and ECC memory in a motherboard that 'officially supports' ECC, and there are tools in the OS to determine that all the parts of the chain support it. But the next question is if it actually works - some software only checks the 'does it support ECC' flag, rather than actually testing for it. There are reports of users who, by most measures, have everything in the chain sorted and reported as working, but none of it is actually enabled. This could be down to specific drivers, or a BIOS issue. Some software might say 'ECC found, running, but not enabled', or words to that effect. Ultimately you need the ability to support ECC tracking, which often isn't supported natively on consumer grade motherboards. On server grade motherboards, it is.

Reactions: chiu
like this
If you are concerned about reliability then don't get the Gigabyte x570 master. There a whole thread here about a problem those boards are having.

Reactions: chiu
like this
Thanks. But what is the cost?
Take a look at the 2 posts above.
There's a comprehensive component specific validation checklist advised when white boxing servers and workstations.

You haven't cited anything specific, so we can't google that for you if it's not a workflow any of us perform daily

Back