Ryzen 9 3900X or 3950X - $399.99 or $687.99 from Newegg on eBay

Not bad for people that do not live near an MC, but the $20 mobo combo discount on MC is still king.

Would this be incremental upgrade from 5960X? Or wait for another year? I usually do 5yr upgrade (New rig)

Really depends what you use it for. Single thread might be 20% faster IIRC? Multithread it obviously decimates the 5960x.

I was thinking of doing some LIVE gaming in the future for fun. Idk if I should wait or bit for this sale now.

Would this be incremental upgrade from 5960X? Or wait for another year? I usually do 5yr upgrade (New rig)
Wait...
You are interested in the upgrade for games you say. You wont see much, if any improvement.

I struggled with the same call though admittedly I would have sprung for the 3900x. My 5820k was getting a bit long in the tooth and the upgrade itch was hitting hard, decided to split the difference for now and get a Xeon 1660 v3 (essentially the same as your 5960x) for about $65 total after selling my 5820k. Your options on X99 may be limited though since Broadwell E is the only upgrade path and the 6950 is still pretty expensive. GL.

I guess I could wait a little longer. Not like my CPU bottlenecking my GPU or anything. But you’re right, the upgrade itch is making me want to especially when you see a decent sale like this is very tempting.

This is even more tempting now that AMD is saying no Ryzen 3 on anything except 500 series boards.

This is even more tempting now that AMD is saying no Ryzen 3 on anything except 500 series boards.

Ain't that the truth.

I have this primal need to max things out. And if my X370's top spec-chip is gonna be the 3950X...

Whats this?

https://hardforum.com/threads/zen-3-cpus-500-series-or-newer-chipsets-only.1996324/

A bit down the thread, there’s a link to Hardware Unboxed saying AMD is telling them they won’t be providing the AGESA to mobo manufacturers to put Ryzen 3 on x470 and lower.

Their official reason is complete BS, though. Their claiming it is all due to non-500 series boards not having big enough BIOS chips. The problem is, many have 256Mb/32MB, which is as much as any x570 has. There are also several x570 boards with only 128Mb/16MB, so it’s definitely just a crap excuse they decided to throw out.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
I took advantage of one these deals for the 3900x and sold my 3700x. OMG 3900X is a beast ! I love this cpu.

If you're angling toward the DDR5 platform support question (for either AMD or Intel), waiting another year could make sense.

I hope at least a few people who will actually use the CPU got one before resellers bought them out.

I was thinking of doing some LIVE gaming in the future for fun. Idk if I should wait or bit for this sale now.

If you have a decent overclock on the 5960x and you're not doing a bunch of encoding/compression work I would wait.

Buy or wait for zen 3? I'm stressin...

Zen 3 is what, sept/oct at the earliest? Most likely winter I'd guess. Buy now and sell later. I'm assuming you'll be able to recoupe 50-75% so decide if that is worth the $ to you.

Zen 3 is what, sept/oct at the earliest? Most likely winter I'd guess. Buy now and sell later. I'm assuming you'll be able to recoupe 50-75% so decide if that is worth the $ to you.
I would do that but every single x570 board on the market is scalper priced right now.

lol i got my parts a few days to soon i just orderd a 3900x and board and new waterblock last tuesday.

I wish we could have 4 core 6Ghz CPUs. They seem to keep adding more and more cores and not even maxing out at 5Ghz.

They're hitting the physical limit of silicon with the clock speeds we're seeing now. Until a whole new basis for chip design comes along, 5 GHz is probably going to be it. They might find a way sooner than later, but for now we will only be seeing small increases in clock speed. It's mainly down to core count and IPC now.

I would do that but every single x570 board on the market is scalper priced right now.
I was shopping for a 3950x and x570 for the past 4 months. Sat down, got my ram, nvme, case, psu, AIO bought, but was waiting on the x570 board I wanted to come back in stock. During that wait, the Zen3 was announced and I couldn't deal with a motherboard compromise combined with not having current gen in 6-8months. I slummed together a b450 and a 3700x to tide me over.

It's crazy to think that, aside from boost clocks, we've been looking at CPUs in the 3.5-4.0GHz range since the P4 Prescott in 2004.

I was shopping for a 3950x and x570 for the past 4 months. Sat down, got my ram, nvme, case, psu, AIO bought, but was waiting on the x570 board I wanted to come back in stock. During that wait, the Zen3 was announced and I couldn't deal with a motherboard compromise combined with not having current gen in 6-8months. I slummed together a b450 and a 3700x to tide me over.
Picked up a X570 Ultra for $260 on ebay, now I can't find a 3950x on the secondary market. Even at its current retail discount I really do not want to pay that hefty nyc sales tax

now that 400 series has been confirmed to be able to have zen 3 support you'll see the prices start dropping again.. scalpers were banking on AMD pulling an intel and not backtracking on their decision to limit zen 3 to 500 series only.

It's crazy to think that, aside from boost clocks, we've been looking at CPUs in the 3.5-4.0GHz range since the P4 Prescott in 2004.

people get too fixated on the number and forget that it ultimately comes down to what's going on inside the processor.. just because you can brute force clock speeds doesn't always make it faster. just look at bulldozer even at 8Ghz+ most modern budget tier cpu's are still faster than it from both AMD and intel stock. i mean hell just take a 4Ghz P4 and put it against any modern AMD or intel chip limited to 4Ghz and the single threaded performance difference is pretty insane.

Last edited:
Yes every iteration boosts IPC an amount. If you add up the increase over enough generations it would be like doubling the clock speed of an older part. Though much like clock speeds, IPC rates will likely come up against limitations. Probably by then they'll be using some other basis for chip design that will open up new avenues to increase speeds.

Back