Ryzen 9 3900x inconsistently posting

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
I have my new Ryzen 9 3900x running pretty happy, once it manages to start but since day 1 I have had this issue with it where on startup it only posts half the time, the fans start up everything looks good but no post no beeps nothing. All I have to do is press the power button to shut it back off wait like 5 seconds then try again and it usually starts back up on the second or 3'rd attempt but I can't find a reason for it, and it is driving me mad. Anybody else having these sorts of issues or am I alone on this?

MB: ASUS Strix B450i - Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
RAM: Corsair DDR4 3200 (CMT32GX4M2C3200C16)
Win 10 Enterprise

I have seen that kind of before .. latest chipset drivers + bios and windows updates?

All 3 of my AMD platforms run great ,, 1600 AF / 3600 / 3700x .. on B350 /x370/x470 = wish I had a 3900x to play with ..

Are you running with an XMP profile on? Maybe try running ram at reduced speed as only one vrm on that board for SOC.

Are you running with an XMP profile on? Maybe try running ram at reduced speed as only one vrm on that board for SOC.
cant speak for his asus board...but i know on mine it will give a very loud memory error beep beep beep on any kind of unbootable ram settings. My question is it running the latest bios?

cant speak for his asus board...but i know on mine it will give a very loud memory error beep beep beep on any kind of unbootable ram settings. My question is it running the latest bios?
Yes it is running the latest BIOS and the latest chipset drivers on the latest Windows 10 updates. It’s an issue that has spanned from 1903 into 1909 and at least one Chipset update too.

Could be a grounding issue as I had a USB 2.0 once making a board act very odd on boot up .

It might be just not enough SOC Voltage for the memory controller; for my 4x16GB DDR4-3200 config i had to increase the voltage to 1.15V to consistently make it boot, otherwise it would stop posting sometimes.

Lakados

I would check which slots which RAM is in especially when you . Usually A2 and B2 are usually recommended for the RAM dimms. It could be something like putting the RAM in the wrong configuration like A1 and B1 or B1 and B2. Something like that. However, I have a feeling it might be something more than that though.

I was just looking into this CPU myself with my Asus B450 F board. The 3900X looks cool and I drool. :) However upon further research it sounds more like a mismatch when pairing it with a B450. This is all in a general sense. I am not getting into the particulars of Brand A vs Brand B's components. The B450 are a mid-level mainstream chipset on mid level mainstream boards. As some may understand not the best goes in them but they are a better component than let's say an entry level board. The X470 / 570 chipset based boards are going to have at least a higher number of VRMs, better cooling, or whatever else is going on the board. I remember building my current 2600 system going in knowing the board was going to work with a 6 core and probably an 8 core CPU in either a gen 2 or gen 3 Ryzen. Since then it sounds like the B450 based board components themselves might be the limiting factor in future upgrades. I am not saying it cannot run on select boards. I am saying it might be asking too much from hardware based to work with a limited board. I am of the opinion that I would look at at least X470 if not 570 based chip set board to run that CPU and this is from the research I have done.

It might be just not enough SOC Voltage for the memory controller; for my 4x16GB DDR4-3200 config i had to increase the voltage to 1.15V to consistently make it boot, otherwise it would stop posting sometimes.

Good info and thought but the OP listed a 16X2 kit. However, I don't know if I would try that since it's 2 DIMMs vs 4. Using 4 dimms, that might be the solution. However, most boards are built to run with 2DIMMs. It might be the case in this case.

Good info and thought but the OP listed a 16X2 kit. However, I don't know if I would try that since it's 2 DIMMs vs 4. Using 4 dimms, that might be the solution. However, most boards are built to run with 2DIMMs. It might be the case in this case.

Depending on memory chip and module design, it might still be needed. It is all about the strain the specific modules put on the memory controller. Trying to bump the SOC voltage for a while won't hurt anything anywya.

shaggy77 .. that was interesting take on the x470 / x570 boards … I noticed my MSI x470 Gaming Plus has 3 x 4 extra cpu power connections , but I only run 2 x 4 with my 3700x and my power supply does not have the extra 4 pin connection … maybe the 3900x needs all 3 connections ?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS/Gallery#lg=1&slide=1

It may require the extra power. I should have clarified my previous post with VRM layout and components used as part of the main board build. I have been in and out of the PC building game. On these newer systems that are running multiple cores, they are requires better power delivery. Something like a B450 on a mid level board is not going to have the same amount and/or grade level components to make something like an 8+ core CPU to work as efficiently as possible. I am not saying an 8 core cannot work on this board. I am saying the power delivery for the CPU maybe less than ideal for the requirement. Power delivery may be a problem with long term upgrades.

Speaking about more cores, it might be more or less wiser for AMD to come out with recommended and not recommended chipset/ cpu combos. In work, we build AMD and Intel custom built computers as RIP stations for wide format printers. We tend to spec out X470 and now X570 boards with 8C/16T CPUs on the AMD side and at least 6C/12T on the Intel side. For the longest time we were builiding 8700/ 8700K systems for clients. We will build 9000 series but since the boss built a X570/ 3700X platform for his workstation in the office, we have switched over to AMD Ryzen latest generation series CPUs. I never thought about power requirements until a day or two ago when my boss was talking about wanting to get a 3900X for his system. I was checking the processor out. It got the gears turning that's when I reading articles on power delivery and understanding the days of 1,2 or even 4 cores are over and power delivery is even more critical functions to look at when specing out a system. It might be as important for someone purchasing a

We will buy pre-built AMD Ryzen based PCs for the new office staff as the PC age out of use (i.e. Failure) We found they are cost effective and once the some of the weird driver bugs were updated, the platform has been a winner for at least 2 new staff. Most of the employees are on 2 core maybe 4 thread systems in the office. Various generations of C2D, I3/5 series and what not. We finally updated the last PC to Windows 10 since that user didn't want it. Mine is a i7 3770K with 32GB of DDR3. It was built about 7 years ago for when we had a designer/ marketing person in the office. He no longer worked for us and about 2 years ago my ready for this, my core 2 duo crapped out on me that was built in 2008. Tech guy working on mid grade stuff even back then. Go figure. The current i7 I have is nice but it feels outdated when I work with it. I think the system components sometimes flake out. My home rig is a B450/ 2600 combo feels and runs much smoother than anything intel based at work. My boss did hint that I might be getting a desktop upgrade he wants to press my i7 into service with the computer in the warehouse. It runs the shipping software as well as our business programs.

Depending on memory chip and module design, it might still be needed. It is all about the strain the specific modules put on the memory controller. Trying to bump the SOC voltage for a while won't hurt anything anywya.

Completely understand and agree on trying it before investing time and research on new parts.

Lakados

I would check which slots which RAM is in especially when you . Usually A2 and B2 are usually recommended for the RAM dimms. It could be something like putting the RAM in the wrong configuration like A1 and B1 or B1 and B2. Something like that. However, I have a feeling it might be something more than that though.

I was just looking into this CPU myself with my Asus B450 F board. The 3900X looks cool and I drool. :) However upon further research it sounds more like a mismatch when pairing it with a B450. This is all in a general sense. I am not getting into the particulars of Brand A vs Brand B's components. The B450 are a mid-level mainstream chipset on mid level mainstream boards. As some may understand not the best goes in them but they are a better component than let's say an entry level board. The X470 / 570 chipset based boards are going to have at least a higher number of VRMs, better cooling, or whatever else is going on the board. I remember building my current 2600 system going in knowing the board was going to work with a 6 core and probably an 8 core CPU in either a gen 2 or gen 3 Ryzen. Since then it sounds like the B450 based board components themselves might be the limiting factor in future upgrades. I am not saying it cannot run on select boards. I am saying it might be asking too much from hardware based to work with a limited board. I am of the opinion that I would look at at least X470 if not 570 based chip set board to run that CPU and this is from the research I have done.

It’s an ITX board so only the 2 slots. I have some time off this week so I am going to be giving it a whirl on a few of the suggestions in the thread, I’ll let you all know what I make of it.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Prob a bad component on the motherboard. A bad cap resistor or some other doodad. RMA the motherboard.

I will keep meddling with the ram timings but turning off fast boot seems to have reduced the frequency of it happening so it is an improvement. I don't think it is a MoBo issue that would need an RMA I am starting to think it is an issue stemming from the combination of the B450 and the 3900x, my build may be too ambitious for the board, that and if I have to dismantle this thing again I will cry, this tiny case has a full custom loop in it doing both the CPU and the GPU and it takes hours to drain and disassemble as the connections are so small and tight I need to cut them to get them out.

I will keep meddling with the ram timings but turning off fast boot seems to have reduced the frequency of it happening so it is an improvement. I don't think it is a MoBo issue that would need an RMA I am starting to think it is an issue stemming from the combination of the B450 and the 3900x, my build may be too ambitious for the board, that and if I have to dismantle this thing again I will cry, this tiny case has a full custom loop in it doing both the CPU and the GPU and it takes hours to drain and disassemble as the connections are so small and tight I need to cut them to get them out.

That is what I was thinking. The board might be able to handle the higher TDP CPUs like the 3800X and 3900X properly. Could this be the VRM design, components, a little bit of this and that, something else? Possibly. I know your board seems to have a different power delivery than my B450F. I wish you luck.

There is currently a nearly new never oc'ed msi meg ACE in the FS section of this forum fo 200 us dollars. I have one and its a realllllly nice board, you can raid 0 two gen 4 nvme drives for really good access speeds. I loaded win 10 pro from a usb 3.0 flash drive in under four minutes. Each new win 10 build takes only about 10-12 minutes after download completes. These x570 boards are a dream come true.

Lakados

I installed a R7 3700X tonight on my Asus ROG B450-F Gaming. Stock cooler but PBO settings. It's running just fine. I am wondering if it is something else with your board. Did you play with the voltages as some have suggested?

Lakados

I installed a R7 3700X tonight on my Asus ROG B450-F Gaming. Stock cooler but PBO settings. It's running just fine. I am wondering if it is something else with your board. Did you play with the voltages as some have suggested?
The voltages all look good, same with the memory timings. I have been thinking that maybe it is related to my HDD setup, I have a pair of 5TB drives set up in windows storage as a media drive that may be doing it.

FYI, I just performed an update on my chipset drivers. There is a new AMD version out dated 3/19/2020. It seemed to help out my Ryzen master software. The system seemed to be a bit more happier overall. However still rocking a 4.0 GHZ clock speeds on all 8 cores. PBO seems to be happier.

B450R73700X_DC.jpg

I’ve been asking around and I have found an ASUS thread on Redit with a good number of people with very similar builds with the same issue. The supposed fix is to set my Ram timings to manual and plunk in the default values that way. It seems that while the numbers may be the exact same as the ones listed in the DOCP profile they just don’t work the same. It’s an issue that crept in with the Asus BIOS update which came with 1404 update and hasn’t been fixed.
Edit:
Somebody further down in the thread said that an Asus tech on the phone said that the boards were never designed to run at the default and that you have to at least run the AI performance tuner. Which I didn’t do because why would I tweak an unstable system before getting a solid baseline....

Reactions: x509
like this
FYI, I just performed an update on my chipset drivers. There is a new AMD version out dated 3/19/2020. It seemed to help out my Ryzen master software. The system seemed to be a bit more happier overall. However still rocking a 4.0 GHZ clock speeds on all 8 cores. PBO seems to be happier.

View attachment 232118
I’ll check it out, thanks for the heads up.

Did the update and changed from DOCP to Auto, that seems to have helped. I tried the AI tuner and while it was booting 100% of the time the bios wasn’t detecting 2 of my HDD’s and was taking about 3 min to boot. I’ll see what Auto does for the next few days, I’m currently too tired and the stuff going on is keeping me too busy over my “holiday” to play with it much :(

You also might want to run a bios update. Had the same problem with the same board. I had to use the amd ram timing tools and set everything manually.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I'd try giving the memory more voltage.

I initially had RAM instability problems running 2x16GB (a Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit) with a 2700X.

Bumping the voltage up to 1.36-1.38 has solved this.

I'd try giving the memory more voltage.

I initially had RAM instability problems running 2x16GB (a Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit) with a 2700X.

Bumping the voltage up to 1.36-1.38 has solved this.

Corsair RAM often needs slightly more voltage than advertised to work properly. I don't know why, but it's been that way forever. I would also second BIOS update recommendations.

Back