Ryzen 8 Core is actually made of 2 quad dies? (It's Not)

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
I spotted this supposed Ryzen Delid shot, and that looks like two small dies to me.

Actually it's a pretty smart way to go IMO. They can do one tape out and deliver cores in quads as needed.

AMD-Ryzen-7-Delid-840x516.png

Edit: Doh!

I should have looked at the die shot before posting. It's obviously a single die. I thought that was thermal paste and the line between indicated dual dies.

Last edited:
You can't do a real 8C CPU on two separate dies. The cores need to have shared cache and memory, and that's not going to work when the cores have to communicate across dies. As you can see, it's all a single die.

ryzen-die.jpg

You can't do a real 8C CPU on two separate dies. The cores need to have shared cache and memory, and that's not going to work when the cores have to communicate across dies. As you can see, it's all a single die.

Yeah, it's a single die. I should have looked at the Die Shot first. ;)

But of course you can do it with two dies. The old Intel Core 2 Quads, were two Dual cores in one package.

intel-core-2-quad-q6600-cpus1.jpg

But of course you can do it with two dies. The old Intel Core 2 Quads, were two Dual cores in one package.

intel-core-2-quad-q6600-cpus1.jpg

It's technically possible, at the speeds these things USED to run at. But at current speeds and memory bandwidth, the performance penalty is far too high. Consider in those old quad core chips, the two sets of dies talked to each other over the FSB. No shared L3 cache. That's not gonna fly at 4Ghz.

and pay attention, he clearly states that they used TWO solder pads, hence the split. it is not 2 separate dies.

also AMD magny-cour which was 2x6 core die's. i had completely forgotten about the C2Q's being two dies as well.

So beautiful.... that could be a painting. :)

Back