Ryzen 7 5800X - $299 plus $20 off motherboard @ Micro Center

That's a pretty good deal right there. Arguably should have been the launch price though.
With Alder Lake eating its lunch the 5600x should go to sub $200 and the 5800x should go to the $250-$280 range. 5900x should go to sub $400 and 5950x should go to the $500-$550 range. The CPUs came out a year ago and should be getting replaced fairly soon. Time to clear out stock on what's left.

The 3d stacked cache versions should probably only be mildly more expensive than those prices.

Ah yes, one day after I receive my $393 5800X from Newegg, and 30mins before I'm leaving for Microcenter to get more parts, I see this. That's cool. Should've just planned on giving MC my money to begin with :rolleyes:

Just be warned the 5800x runs quite hot due to all 8 cores being on a single chiplet and the voltage is quite aggressive to make stock clocks. It nearly necessitates undervolting in my experience.

Just be warned the 5800x runs quite hot due to all 8 cores being on a single chiplet and the voltage is quite aggressive to make stock clocks. It nearly necessitates undervolting in my experience.
undervolting + 280mm AIO, hopefully will be sufficient. I remember how bad Ryzen 3600 was to cool, I'm sure this is that much worse.

undervolting + 280mm AIO, hopefully will be sufficient. I remember how bad Ryzen 3600 was to cool, I'm sure this is that much worse.
The 5800x is a volcano compared to the 3600. I'm on a 280mm AIO in a Corsair 650d and need to undervolt to 1.34v peak just to keep it under 80c. It really shouldn't exist, IMO, at least at the stock voltage and speeds.

The 5800x is a volcano compared to the 3600. I'm on a 280mm AIO in a Corsair 650d and need to undervolt to 1.34v peak just to keep it under 80c. It really shouldn't exist, IMO, at least at the stock voltage and speeds.
Yikes, just yikes. It's not even a spectacularly power-hungry CPU from what I can tell, it's just thermal transfer limits due to the density-which is scarier in a way because one can't overcome that easily by just adding more rad + fans. Wish me luck :p

Yikes, just yikes. It's not even a spectacularly power-hungry CPU from what I can tell, it's just thermal transfer limits due to the density-which is scarier in a way because one can't overcome that easily by just adding more rad + fans. Wish me luck :p
You'll likely be ok. It's a good chip, it just needs proper cooling and undervolting. I'm running at 4.7ghz and 1.31v.

Exactly. Essentially, what happened with the 5800x is AMD needed to fill the gap between the 5600x and 5900x. But to make margins, they needed to cram two extra cores into a single chiplet (instead of the two in the 5900x), and they needed to make the clocks higher than a 5600x to beat that chip's per-core stock performance. So, you get a hot CPU that undervolts.

You'll likely be ok. It's a good chip, it just needs proper cooling and undervolting. I'm running at 4.7ghz and 1.31v.

Exactly. Essentially, what happened with the 5800x is AMD needed to fill the gap between the 5600x and 5900x. But to make margins, they needed to cram two extra cores into a single chiplet (instead of the two in the 5900x), and they needed to make the clocks higher than a 5600x to beat that chip's per-core stock performance. So, you get a hot CPU that undervolts.
Plus they binned the best chiplets for the 5950 and epyc CPUs. The 5800x has the lowest quality chiplets that have full 8-core functionality. It's still a good CPU, but it should have always been cheaper.

Reactions: DPI
like this
My wifes run a 5800x on an older H100i AIO and it stays cool with no issues at all.

I will say though right now I think the 5800x is overpriced and need a price drop.

Just an FYI and possibly YMMV, BestBuy is price matching with Micro Center if you ask in a chat session. I successfully placed an order totaling $323.99 with tax.

This is a damn good price and if you're like me and don't live anywhere near a MC, well, there you go. ;)

With Alder Lake eating its lunch the 5600x should go to sub $200 and the 5800x should go to the $250-$280 range. 5900x should go to sub $400 and 5950x should go to the $500-$550 range. The CPUs came out a year ago and should be getting replaced fairly soon. Time to clear out stock on what's left.

The 3d stacked cache versions should probably only be mildly more expensive than those prices.
Alderlake has $500 motherboards and significantly more expensive DDR5. AMD doesn’t have to put their chips on sale, because Intel did it for them with their new total system price comparison.

The 5600G actually hit $199 on Friday, so the price cut is already there. Honestly don't know why they left 5600X's price unchanged, but Microcenter will be Microcenter lol.

I have 2700x on an x570 motherboard. These lower prices are tempting me but I think I’ll hold out for the final AMD chips on Am4 after the holidays.

Alderlake has $500 motherboards and significantly more expensive DDR5. AMD doesn’t have to put their chips on sale, because Intel did it for them with their new total system price comparison.
$600 for me lol, definitely a bit obscene and the most I’ve ever spent on a mobo. Previous most expensive was my X58 classified at like $450.

But these boards are decked out and built to last, 5 m.2 SSD slots with 3 onboard PCIE 4.0, and a riser card for 2 more that don’t mess with your GPU lanes. Can even use PCIE 5.0 ssds later but that will cut lanes in half but I probably won’t care since even PCIE 4.0 isn’t saturated at this point. Definitely excited to do an all m.2 ssd build.

I’ll probably do a drop in upgrade for Raptorlake before I have to replace the board.

Reactions: DPI
like this

While I agree with ddr5, they do have decent z690 boards that will handle 12900k for far less than that.

I'll wait for some additional reviews on the lower tier/mid tier board. If I didn't have a 5900x, I would without a doubt be buying a 12700 or 12900k. At this point probably not. Some of that is due to the fact I have already have 64gb of ddr4 b-die memory.

While I agree with ddr5, they do have decent z690 boards that will handle 12900k for far less than that.

I'll wait for some additional reviews on the lower tier/mid tier board. If I didn't have a 5900x, I would without a doubt be buying a 12700 or 12900k. At this point probably not. Some of that is due to the fact I have already have 64gb of ddr4 b-die memory.
If I had a 5900x I’d be sticking firm too.

The only reason I’m considering a new CPU is Windows 11 doesn’t support x99 and my Intel 6950X

I have 2700x on an x570 motherboard. These lower prices are tempting me but I think I’ll hold out for the final AMD chips on Am4 after the holidays.
Yeah I'm thinking that's what I may do with my 3700x currently in my Prime x470-Pro.

Yeah, most reviewers nowadays, most specifically Hardware unboxed always seem to put it in a value perspective. Alderlake i7 and i5 the most looks the best against Ryzen because of the performance and value. It'll be interesting to see what the performance per dollar will look like when the vcache models come out.

Back