Ryzen 7 2700x or Ryzen 5 2600x

Hundreds of thousands? For what?

Sorry to burst your bubble but they're not things I make (I'm not deadmau5 but I have a deadmau5 Pandora channel). My forte is file preparation and distribution for dozens of people to about a half-dozen channels where missing deadlines is not an option.

Not saying more cores won't finish your project quicker.
As an example, I have a client that has a wildlife video centric Youtube channel, that recently upgraded from a i7 9700K to a i9 9900K. According to his tests using HEVC, his gains were around 20% in Handbrake, coming from 8c/8t to 8c/16t . In my eyes those are diminishing returns for the money he spent. Granted that is on W10 and the extra grunt was the result of HT. But he is ok with that.

For the purposes of encoding, hyperthreaded cores are not the same as a real dedicated core. Hyperthreading works by sending dissimilar tasks through a core to take advantage of the core's unused instruction execution units. If you're doing the same task (i.e. video encoding) it's harder to see gains from simply swapping in extra hyperthread cores. If he had upgraded from a 8c/8t to a 12c/24t CPU and didn't allow hyperthreading (with everything else being equal) I'd bet that he'd have seen significantly more than a 20% delta in rendering speed.

With that said, the majority of my experience with the x264 encoder is through ffmpeg and not HandBrake (CLI version) though I note that both seem to have similar speeds encoding the same file using essentially the same options.

Sorry to burst your bubble but they're not things I make (I'm not deadmau5 but I have a deadmau5 Pandora channel). My forte is file preparation and distribution for dozens of people to about a half-dozen channels where missing deadlines is not an option.

With that said, the majority of my experience with the x264 encoder is through ffmpeg and not HandBrake (CLI version) though I note that both seem to have similar speeds encoding the same file using essentially the same options.

I use ffmpeg to transcode AC3 and AAC audio through MediaCoder several times a day, and my limitation is drive speed, not core count. In Handbrake it's always core count and clock speed due to CR 19 and 2-pass with audio de-muxed through MKVmerge. But I also do a batch that takes around 12hrs a day to complete, so a few hours doesn't matter to me in the long run. If I was getting paid to do this, a TR would be my go to option for sure. Because time is money.

But your points are well taken sir. :)

I use ffmpeg to transcode AC3 and AAC audio through MediaCoder several times a day, and my limitation is drive speed, not core count. In Handbrake it's always core count and clock speed due to CR 19 and 2-pass with audio de-muxed through MKVmerge. But I also do a batch that takes around 12hrs a day to complete, so a few hours doesn't matter to me in the long run. If I was getting paid to do this, a TR would be my go to option for sure. Because time is money.

Get an Intel 1tb 660p or whatever it is NVMe drive for a hundred bucks on sale right now. More than enough drive speed for video work.

Sorry OP video encoding topic kind of derailed your thread a little. Back on topic now.

If you buy at microcenter you get a 30 dollar mobo discount when bundled with cpu.

Last edited:
I've pretty much settled down on this to go with my Ryzen whichever (still thinking on that). If I don't pull the trigger this week I may just go ahead wait for the new stuff. I will still need this though so I'd like some input. Trying to keep the price down.

MB - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145060&ignorebbr=1 on sale.

RAM - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236417&ignorebbr=1

Love me some RGB,

Honestly with that GByte Mobo I would get Gigabyte RGB ram so that RGB Fusion software has zero fuss with the ram LEDs. Unless your running a corsair ecosystem and use icue then get the corsair ram. Its good both ways. I use Gskill RGB in my threadripper and some cheap gskill non rgb in my 2600x.

Love me some RGB,

Honestly with that GByte Mobo I would get Gigabyte RGB ram so that RGB Fusion software has zero fuss with the ram LEDs. Unless your running a corsair ecosystem and use icue then get the corsair ram. Its good both ways. I use Gskill RGB in my threadripper and some cheap gskill non rgb in my 2600x.

Good idea. I do like the price on the non RGB. I just noticed on the Gigabyte MB the specs say only 3200 (O.C.) is compatible. I assume that O.C. means that if I get the 3200 Ram that I will have to manually Over Clock it to get the 3200.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3200&cm_re=gskill_3200-_-20-231-941-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820164137&ignorebbr=1

Good idea. I do like the price on the non RGB. I just noticed on the Gigabyte MB the specs say only 3200 (O.C.) is compatible. I assume that O.C. means that if I get the 3200 Ram that I will have to manually Over Clock it to get the 3200.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941&Description=gskill 3200&cm_re=gskill_3200-_-20-231-941-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820164137&ignorebbr=1

No it means XMP not manual.

WellGB of RAM, that. I'm doing 3D renderings and i calibrate the quality of my rendering to have the job done. Even using some photoshop to add some photographed objets and all that kind of things. I could do that on a Pentium 4 with 2Gb of RAM on Windows XP and the end result for the same time spent would not be very different.
It is if I make a super-high quality renderings which would take time on big computers that i would really make a difference.
So much a bigger system only makes little difference on 3D renderings because some little better quality needs so much more computing power.

Back