Ryzen 7 1700X Processor Blows Away Intel’s $1000 Core i7-5960X & goes toe to toe with Intel’s 6900k

Glad you got it all figured out. 16x16 and 8x8 make no difference in most configurations as of now. In crossfire/sli, they are hamstrung in the same way. Most people are going single GPU nowadays due to the lackluster multigpu support.

There is nothing to figure out, just a fact. It does make difference sorry and 4k gaming is not going away and with the faster video card it is going to make a major difference.

Good on you for getting what you want. :)

The fact that AMD being a much smaller company with signicantly less money, managed to catch up to the much larger Intel is a huge achievement, and just goes to show Intel has been sitting on their laurels for far too long.

After 10 years? Give me a break. Don't get me wrong i am glad AMD is giving Intel a headache because it will force Intel to lower the price of really over priced CPUs. Ryzen is really really good for competition and more of you buy Ryzen better for me as Intel is going to do something about it, release better product or cut the price down big time ;)

My whole point is that people make Ryzen look like it performs significantly faster than Intel counterpart which is not the case...just don't like a hype based on bullshit.

Also entire TDP thing is sort of bullshit too. Intel chip is more complex than AMD's as it carries more moving parts in it...more PCIe, quad channel memory support...it adds to it. Intel TDP is not bad at all because that packaging carries 22/44 Xeon core running at pretty high speed with boost clock of 3.6Ghz and yet maintaining same TDP.

I want to see 22/44 core Ryzen and its TDP * * * cough

There is nothing to figure out, just a fact. It does make difference sorry and 4k gaming is not going away and with the faster video card it is going to make a major difference.

4k gaming will be done with 1 card sooner or later. Judging by your posts about you are here to troll or justify your expensive intel purchase. AMD has a winner product and I sold my X99 platform so I can play with something other than Intel for once.

Also entire TDP thing is sort of bullshit too. Intel chip is more complex than AMD's as it carries more moving parts in it...more PCIe, quad channel memory support...it adds to it. Intel TDP is not bad at all because that packaging carries 22/44 Xeon core running at pretty high speed.

You compare a 4.2ghz and 5ghz 7700k overclock in a limited threaded game to a Stock 3ghz - 3.7ghz boost Ryzen and call it a fail. You clearly need to analyse and understand the articles before you spat off misinformation that just starts a flame war, seriously.

Clock for clock would be the correct comparison, not what you showed.

Also, what moving parts does intel's CPU have, list those specifics since you know what you are talking about?

You compare a 4.2ghz and 5ghz 7700k overclock in a limited threaded game to a Stock 3ghz - 3.7ghz boost Ryzen and call it a fail. You clearly need to analyse and understand the articles before you spat off misinformation that just starts a flame war, seriously.

Clock for clock would be the correct comparison, not what you showed.

Also, what moving parts does intel's CPU have, list those specifics since you know what you are talking about?

Clock to clock comparison is no real because 7700k is 4/8 setup and Ryzen is 8/16 setup so what you are saying is bullshit. Intel cpu has 40PCIe and quad memory channel by the way Ryzen does not bring any new instructions compared to Intel counterpart. There is really nothing new with Ryzen CPU...not to mention that AMD V is not really supported well.

Clock to clock comparison is no real because 7700k is 4/8 setup and Ryzen is 8/16 setup so what you are saying is bullshit. Intel cpu has 40PCIe and quad memory channel by the way Ryzen does not bring any new instructions compared to Intel counterpart. There is really nothing new with Ryzen CPU...not to mention that AMD V is not really supported well.

Glad you got it figured out, why don't you go post in the intel thread since you are an expert here. Please just GTFO.

4k gaming will be done with 1 card sooner or later. Judging by your posts about you are here to troll or justify your expensive intel purchase. AMD has a winner product and I sold my X99 platform so I can play with something other than Intel for once.

My purchase for $150 for x99 motherboard and $350 for Xeon 10/20 cheaper than what you will pay for Ryzen therefore i am not justifying anything here.

Yes it will but then you will have 5k and 8k gaming and more demanding games.

After 10 years? Give me a break. Don't get me wrong i am glad AMD is giving Intel a headache because it will force Intel to lower the price of really over priced CPUs. Ryzen is really really good for competition and more of you buy Ryzen better for me as Intel is going to do something about it, release better product or cut the price down big time ;)

My whole point is that people make Ryzen look like it performs significantly faster than Intel counterpart which is not the case...just don't like a hype based on bullshit.

Also entire TDP thing is sort of bullshit too. Intel chip is more complex than AMD's as it carries more moving parts in it...more PCIe, quad channel memory support...it adds to it. Intel TDP is not bad at all because that packaging carries 22/44 Xeon core running at pretty high speed with boost clock of 3.6Ghz and yet maintaining same TDP.

You really need to read more clearly. People are not saying it performs significantly "faster". What they're saying is it performs "Competitive" there's a difference. You can spin it around all you want, Ryzen's multi threaded performance is very competitive to Intel's 6900K which the 7700K can never match. Again this is multi threading we're talking about.

There are people out there who does more than just game on their PC. Stop ignoring this fact.

Glad you got it figured out, why don't you go post in the intel thread since you are an expert here. Please just GTFO.

I am not gonna GTFO because what i said is true. Intel 2011-v3 provides 40 PCIE ...fact. Intel 2011-v3 does provide quad memory channel which AMD in their demos forced to dual channel for whatever f. reason. Intel TDP is not bad but consistent as it can pack 22/44 core Xeon boosting to 3.6Ghz. I want to see Ryzen in that setup and its TDP. As far as instructions goes Ryzen does not bring any new instructions compared to Intel, in fact lacks some. And also AMD V is not supported as good as Intel vt which is a big thing in virtualization.

Now you GTFO.

You really need to read more clearly. People are not saying it performs significantly "faster". What they're saying is it performs "Competitive" there's a difference. You can spin it around all you want, Ryzen's multi threaded performance is very competitive to Intel's 6900K which the 7700K can never match. Again this is multi threading we're talking about.

There are people out there who does more than just game on their PC. Stop ignoring this fact.

Yes. Like virtualization where AMD v sucks at.

While I love AMD, let's keep in mind this is comparing stock to stock.

If you're buying a 5960X/6950X and running it stock, you're a bit empty upstairs.

Great news either way if no hidden caveats!

nevermind that the price of a ryzen cpu is a FRACTION of what intel charges.

so we have learned what from this? it's ok if its almost as fast as long as it's cheaper by a lot?

nice to see AMD be competitive again

the PCIe lanes is a non issue for the vast majority of people out there, even here. ive learned my lessons with multigpu setups and cant be bothered anymore, spend the money on the 1080/1070 and avoid the dual card approach IMO.

I know i dont play benchmarks all day so if the real world stuff is on par with intel thats all most care about when it comes to bang for buck, my 6800k isnt even overclocked anymore since i could only tell in benchmarks and my hydro bill.

Except AMD only released a few slideshows of floating point performance, and one synthetic benchmark. After that they kept extremely quiet.

This time they're more than happy to show live demos comparisons. But yeah, you have a good point.
Live demos in very specific circumstances. They lost my trust 10 years ago with their terrible marketing and integrity.

When independent benches come out I'll make decisions.

I have not seen a butt hurt Intel Fan Boy in a long time. Haha.
I only own Intel and I have X99 and I am excited for Ryzen. Keep pretending 95w TDP - 8 Core/16 Thread - 499 is nothing special. You see the first crop of mobos and freak out, come on.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with NOT jumping on the bandwagon and waiting for third party reviews. Actually that used to be the standard practice before all this pre order bullshit happened.

I'm excited also, and also waiting for solid reviews.

Also, I did not build a 6700k system last year based on numbers from Intel. I based it on real actual independent third party reviews.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with NOT jumping on the bandwagon and waiting for third party reviews. Actually that used to be the standard practice before all this pre order bullshit happened.

I'm excited also, and also waiting for solid reviews.

Also, I did not build a 6700k system last year based on numbers from Intel. I based it on real actual independent third party reviews.
He's addressing Luka

I have not seen a butt hurt Intel Fan Boy in a long time. Haha.
I only own Intel and I have X99 and I am excited for Ryzen. Keep pretending 95w TDP - 8 Core/16 Thread - 499 is nothing special. You see the first crop of mobos and freak out, come on.

If you refer to me i am not Intel Fab Boy. I owned AMD in the past, Nvidia, Intel and what not. 8/16 at 499 with questionable 95W TDP is actually nothing special. A price itself is but a product is not. I already paid for same performance, yes for nifty price but unshelling $500 for same thing is just stupid. And this is for someone who already invested in Intel platform. For someone who wants to update really old rig, yes i do recommend AMD Ryzen. Now 95W TDP is questionable because Ryzen is not that good overclocker and intel counter part is for sure 135-140 W but you have to remember that Intel squeezed 22/44 Xeon under same TDP boosting at 3.6Ghz. I believe that AMD and Intel approach in calculating TDP is quite different.
If AMD releases 22/44 Ryzen under same 95W specs kudos to them....i don't think so. You also have to remember that Intel cpu has quad memory channel vs. 2 and has 40 PCIe lines coming from CPU vs 24 which adds to overall TDP.

If you refer to me i am not Intel Fab Boy. I owned AMD in the past, Nvidia, Intel and what not. 8/16 at 499 with questionable 95W TDP is actually nothing special. A price itself is but a product is not. I already paid for same performance, yes for nifty price but unshelling $500 for same thing is just stupid. And this is for someone who already invested in Intel platform. For someone who wants to update really old rig, yes i do recommend AMD Ryzen. Now 95W TDP is questionable because Ryzen is not that good overclocker and intel counter part is for sure 135-140 W but you have to remember that Intel squeezed 22/44 Xeon under same TDP boosting at 3.6Ghz. I believe that AMD and Intel approach in calculating TDP is quite different.
If AMD releases 22/44 Ryzen under same 95W specs kudos to them....i don't think so. You also have to remember that Intel cpu has quad memory channel vs. 2 and has 40 PCIe lines coming from CPU vs 24 which adds to overall TDP.

why isn't ryzen a good overclocker?

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocked To 4GHz On All 8 Cores – Provides 1800X+ Performance With Decent Motherboards & Cooling

OCUK staffer “Gibbo” reports successfully overclocking a retail Ryzen 7 1700 processor with an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard to 4.05GHz on all 8 cores. With this overclock the CPU would effectively be running 450MHz higher than the Ryzen 7 1800X flagship. “Gibbo” estimates, based on his results, that the 1800X should be able to hit 4.3GHz on all 8 cores.

The overclock was achieved using a 240mm Asetek built liquid cooler, which is similar to the Corsair H100i.

At 4.05GHz on all 8-cores an overclocked Ryzen 7 1700 effectively outperforms every other desktop 8-core CPU on the market. Including Intel’s $1000+ Haswell-E and Broadwell-E i7 5960X and i7 6900K.

When running at 4.05GHz on all 8-cores, the Ryzen 7 1700 effectively outperforms every other desktop 8-core CPU on the market. Including both Intel’s Haswell-E and Broadwell-E i7 5960X and i7 6900K.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-overclocked-4ghz/

When running at 4.05GHz on all 8-cores, the Ryzen 7 1700 effectively outperforms every other desktop 8-core CPU on the market. Including both Intel’s Haswell-E and Broadwell-E i7 5960X and i7 6900K.

Comparing OC'd Ryzen to stock Intel CPUs that have been run at 4.5GHz themselves is disingenuous. It's still nice to see, but AMD should have seriously released these CPUs at these speeds. As it stands, it's still slower than a stock 7700k in gaming (well, at least the 98-99% that cannot make positive use of >4 cores).

Comparing OC'd Ryzen to stock Intel CPUs that have been run at 4.5GHz themselves is disingenuous. It's still nice to see, but AMD should have seriously released these CPUs at these speeds. As it stands, it's still slower than a stock 7700k in gaming (well, at least the 98-99% that cannot make positive use of >4 cores).
Not sure if this is meant to be in the context of the Ryzen event and Cinebench/couple of game results or more generally 'leaks' on the internet.
If you mean the event and Cinebench, Ryzen was not overclocked and in fact they gave Intel a pretty nice setup, including ensuring that the motherboard was boosting a single core to 4GHz on th 6900K and was using max boost of 3.7GHz, while the 6800K also was correct with normal and single core boost.
Now of course one has to allow for throttling and that is my only downside of the test as it uses the default cooler option for both AMD and Intel but that is how they were sold.
And neither will be the ideal cooler tbh, albeit it is quite possible the Wraith is better than the BXTS13A, so maybe some slight throttling ( a bit more on the Intel side I would assume than AMD but this still shows Ryzen is still a better performer even allowing for it), and outside of the full-on multithread the throttling would not be an issue for the single threaded score.
Also the Cinebench mult-threaded score seems to align with Tom's score and they used a water cooler for their Broadwell-E rated to 500W.
Worth noting there will be variance between other site cinebench scores as they have their own Broadwell-E cpus (some variation) and own systems (again provides some variation); Anandtech managed a higher multithreaded score in Cinebench but their single threaded score was lower, as I mentioned Tom's results align closer to AMD event.

Linked this in other threads but here are the system configs of the event:
At Anandtech has all the event slides.
http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/5485/AMD Ryzen Tech Day - Lisa Su Keynote-33.jpg?_ga=1.37728422.743409668.1486127831
AMD%20Ryzen%20Tech%20Day%20-%20Lisa%20Su%20Keynote-33.jpg

Cheers

It was meant in the context quoted.
Ah the un-official testing so far.
Still the official event gives us a pretty clear indicator, but yeah I get your context and point.
The overclock should only be used as an individual indicator of Ryzen behaviour and not compared to competitor unless that is also referenced in OC behaviour/performance - agree with you there.

I missed the context because Overclockers UK did not compare it to Intel just what Ryzen could do purely in terms of clock behaviour, seems the poster is adding a further context to what Overclockers did.
But his context may had been the LN2 Cinebench world record result where it is all out overclocking and Ryzen has just beaten Haswell-E *shrug*.
And yeah that is not indicative of anything but extreme LN2 benchmarking.
Cheers

So you think the Ryzen CPU will be faster than your 5930K? I ask because I have the same cpu and i'm on the fence about getting a 1700X.
I think it will be a bit faster but its pointless to ask me.
I am waiting on official reviews and a motherboard in my form factor.

If info is accurate:

150W for SP4 (up to 16 core)
180W for SP3 (up to 32 core)

This is very reminiscent to the discussion back in the days when people were trying to decide on whether to go for a high clock dual core or lower speed quad core for gaming.
There's a handful of games that already currenty scales with more than 4 cores, but yeah I get your point.

Attachments

• a3_proz.jpg
    a3_proz.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 40
  • ac_proz.jpg
    ac_proz.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
  • bf4_proz_2.jpg
    bf4_proz_2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 40
  • cod_proz.jpg
    cod_proz.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 39
  • crysis3 proz 2.jpg
    crysis3 proz 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 39
  • f4_proz.jpg
    f4_proz.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 39
  • jc_3_proz.jpg
    jc_3_proz.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 39
  • m proz.jpg
    m proz.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 37
  • nevervinter proz.jpg
    nevervinter proz.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 39
  • proz.jpg
    proz.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 42
What a time to be alive! Finally PC hardware is gettin stirred up. Good on AMD. Gonna keep my x99 rig, because I know price cuts coming in hot - gonna wait and see how the 6950x gets cut. However, definitely getting a Ryzen rig - may even become my daily driver! I may have to try and sell off this 5960x before the resell plummets to $250-$300. AMD coming in strong for sure!

Some more

Attachments

• sw_proz.jpg
    sw_proz.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 61c746c4a78e8c7305dbee0bf87ae46298b7e1b7839f899c1d35c2bc8face739.png
    61c746c4a78e8c7305dbee0bf87ae46298b7e1b7839f899c1d35c2bc8face739.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 38
  • cd_proz.png
    cd_proz.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 44
  • get (1).png
    get (1).png
    46.9 KB · Views: 38
  • get.png
    get.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 39
  • gw4_proz.png
    gw4_proz.png
    112 KB · Views: 37
  • h_proz.png
    h_proz.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 37
  • s6_proz_11.png
    s6_proz_11.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 35
  • sc2 proz.png
    sc2 proz.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 33
  • w3_proz.png
    w3_proz.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 39
This is very reminiscent to the discussion back in the days when people were trying to decide on whether to go for a high clock dual core or lower speed quad core for gaming.
There's a handful of games that already currenty scales with more than 4 cores, but yeah I get your point.

Now that most games are 64-bit and the majority of users are on an x64 OS, the vast majority of new games are multi core / multi thread so I'm pretty hopeful about this new chip. Even if the real world numbers come out and they aren't crushing Intel, hopefully it's strong enough to light a fire under intel's ass which would be great for everyone.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Vs Intel Core i7 6900K Gaming Performance Benchmarked

The first gaming performance face-off between the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and the Intel Core i7 6900K. Both processors were put in a head-to-head comparison running the same game, the same in-game scenery and at the same time in Sniper Elite 4 at 4K. Both systems were identically spec’ed with dual RX 480s in Crossfire and 16GB of DDR4 memory.

Jarred Walton from PCWorld positioned the character and the camera in the exact same position on both systems. To ensure that both systems were rendering the exact same scene.

The Intel core i7 6900K averages at 90.5 fps while the Ryzen 7 1800X manages to push over 95 FPS and averages at 96.6fps. This is 6.7% performance lead.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-i7-6900k-gaming-performance/

Last edited:
My purchase for $150 for x99 motherboard and $350 for Xeon 10/20 cheaper than what you will pay for Ryzen therefore i am not justifying anything here.

Is that cross you seem to insist on carrying in you CPU holy war getting heavy yet? The majority of your post count seems to be coming from this thread alone by the time I stopped even reading the replies you made in thread.

lol I'm actually glad there can finally be some fervent CPU fanboysim/arguments back. Good 'ol days. This is very much needed.

Back