Ryzen 7 1700 + B350 Overclocking Tidbits

I've already got a 40mm fan from an older Asrock case that I was contemplating adding to it but right now I'm playing more with the case itself. I've got a Define-S with 3 140mm fan intakes in front and 1 140mm exhaust fan in back and the area above the PCIe slots removed and the PCIe slot covers removed for exhaust. I just removed the top rear vent cover and was surprised that it was acting as an air intake. Opening up did nothing for the VRM temps though. I even put a 140mm FAN here to blow air on the VRM but all it did was slow the temperature climb and not stop it. The temps inevitably climbed to twice the CPU temperature.

I was really shocked at how the Linpack test drove up the VRM temp.

3725 CPU=43C, VRM=86C (default voltage)
3900 CPU=55C, VRM=110C
3925 CPU=57C, VRM=113C
3950 CPU=59C, VRM=118C
3975 CPU=62+, VRM=124+

So, to me this is the thermal wall that people are hitting at least on the B350 boards. The VRM's just are not designed for the voltage necessary to do 4.0Ghz on these CPU's unless the specs say differently -- I'm guessing that they're rated at a max of 125-150C. I have my doubts that a better heatsink/air flow combo will make any significant difference unless you could transfer the heat to a different location where it can be dealt with properly which normally means water cooling.

You might want to consider putting some sinks/bigger sinks and a 40mm fan on your VRM's.

https://hardforum.com/threads/am4-b350-x370-vrm-table.1928342/#post-1042945506

I've already got a 40mm fan from an older Asrock case that I was contemplating adding to it but right now I'm playing more with the case itself. I've got a Define-S with 3 140mm fan intakes in front and 1 140mm exhaust fan in back and the area above the PCIe slots removed and the PCIe slot covers removed for exhaust. I just removed the top rear vent cover and was surprised that it was acting as an air intake. Opening up did nothing for the VRM temps though. I even put a 140mm FAN here to blow air on the VRM but all it did was slow the temperature climb and not stop it. The temps inevitably climbed to twice the CPU temperature.

I was really shocked at how the Linpack test drove up the VRM temp.

3725 CPU=43C, VRM=86C (default voltage)
3900 CPU=55C, VRM=110C
3925 CPU=57C, VRM=113C
3950 CPU=59C, VRM=118C
3975 CPU=62+, VRM=124+

So, to me this is the thermal wall that people are hitting at least on the B350 boards. The VRM's just are not designed for the voltage necessary to do 4.0Ghz on these CPU's unless the specs say differently -- I'm guessing that they're rated at a max of 125-150C. I have my doubts that a better heatsink/air flow combo will make any significant difference unless you could transfer the heat to a different location where it can be dealt with properly which normally means water cooling.

Well hell yeah Linpack is going to drive your VRM's to the utmost limits, but if your going to "play" Linpack 24/7, then you might have a problem.
In everyday "normal" usage scenarios including gaming, I don't see a problem as long as the VRM's are being cooled sufficiently.
Even users that have Handbrake and Boinc running for days on end are not reporting any significant issues.

The power characteristics described in the OP more or less mirror my experience as well. I am able to hit 3775 at stock vcore. But 3.8 suddenly requires tinkering with the vcore. 3.9 requires a LOT of tinkering. 4.0, which is what I finally achieved, after a whole lot of work and micromanaging vcore and LLC. And that is the stable air cooled ceiling on this chip. And pulling that off requires 1.45v. Right at the limit of probably melting the damn chip. So starting around 3.8, you see runaway voltage and temps. If you have good cooling and a good board with respectable power delivery, you can go a little ways into that runaway condition for an extra few hundred MHz.

But I know I'm paying a huge penalty in power consumption to do it.

Bought a R7 1700 and an Asus PRIME B350-Plus to play with and to make my token contribution to AMD so they can keep on chuggin', figured folks here would be interested in the numbers.
Thanks for sharing those data. I went ahead and made two graphs, with your numbers and with the base clock, boost and XFR information for each CPU. What I find interesting is that the Ryzen 1400 always stays in the power consumption sweet spot. Does anyone have stock power consumption information for the 1400?
ryzen_freq.png ryzen_power.png

Reactions: Shaav
like this
A 1700 and Spire seem to attain 3.7-3.8Ghz stable OC which is impressive, my 4790 (3.6-4) and Intel stock cooler are holistically inefficient, hit 65-70 under load with blaring noise from that intel cooler just to run stock speeds. Kudos to AMD giving out a real stock cooler.

Same combo. I had Kingston HyperX RAM (it's in the QVL list) working fine at 3200 MHz. However, after the update to 0606, memory overclocking is simply broken. It only works in Auto, stuck at 2400 MHz. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?

Same combo. I had Kingston HyperX RAM (it's in the QVL list) working fine at 3200 MHz. However, after the update to 0606, memory overclocking is simply broken. It only works in Auto, stuck at 2400 MHz. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?

Some people say you can flash back to 0605 and fix the memory OC, others say you can't, but then again I've heard people flashing back to 0604 or 0515 and having success YMMV. It's up to you to give it a shot, What do you have to lose? For future reference, if your rig is running fine, never update your BIOS unless you need a new feature that's being offered or your having issues with the previous BIOS.

Thanks, kinda glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I guess I'll wait for the next BIOS.

After doing a bit of research, it seems AGESA 1004 reduces latencies by a lot, but it breaks some of the RAM compatibility done by mobo vendors earlier. But the fix for memory OC to go with low latencies will be in the next AGESA, AMD blogs says "May".

Last edited:
For future reference, if your rig is running fine, never update your BIOS unless you need a new feature that's being offered or your having issues with the previous BIOS.

That's probably good advice. I think a lot of folks are flashing more than typical because AMD had actually been very good about AGESA updates. I don't think the platform will remain in a state of flux for much longer.

That's probably good advice. I think a lot of folks are flashing more than typical because AMD had actually been very good about AGESA updates. I don't think the platform will remain in a state of flux for much longer.

Yeah I would say if your getting 3200MHz on your RAM and can maintain a 3.8-4.0GHz OC, I wouldn't bother to flash right now.

I can't get my ram over 2133, Asus Prime-B350-Plus, R1700 and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I can't get my ram over 2133, Asus Prime-B350-Plus, R1700 and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I'm able to get 2667 with the asus b350m-a and corsair lpx 3000, so I'd think you should be able to get at least that with your 3200. What have you tried so far?

I'm able to get 2667 with the asus b350m-a and corsair lpx 3000, so I'd think you should be able to get at least that with your 3200. What have you tried so far?

What voltage you pushing? I've tried 2400 at 1.35 and It won't boot.

What voltage you pushing? I've tried 2400 at 1.35 and It won't boot.

I'm running 1.35. I set the docp profile (it picks up 2933 for my ram) and then in advanced settings lower it to 2667, the rest at what it picks up from the profile. You can try upping your ram to 1.4 and vsoc to 1.1 and see if that helps. I'm also running the latest bios, the shipping bios wouldn't boot past 2133 and each release has gradually gotten faster. Still won't boot at 2933, probably 1-2 bios releases away.

I'm running off a B350 too (ASRock b350 matx) just installed a Corsair 110i and added a few hundred Mhz. I've been as high as 4.0 (@ 1.4375) but for some reason monitoring programs never show it to go over about 3850. BTW

Stock cooler 3.7Ghz 1.25v = 81-82C
With the new one I can do 3.9 1.3875v = 63C!

and I have no idea what the 'FID' and 'DID' ratios do (raising DID seems to lower the target frequency??).

DID is the divider. You can leave it at Auto, and simply adjust the multiplier, FID. At least that's how I'm understanding it, unless I'm overlooking another aspect on the uAtx version of this Prime Plus board.

Tried with BIOS 0609, which is supposed to be for "increased memory stability". Still stuck at 2400 MHz. I guess we have to wait for the BIOS which comes with AGESA 1005.

Debating, and loosely at that, returning my Tomahawk for a Pro Carbon B350, VRMs go over 100c... If the board dies I'm not really concerned however the Pro Carbon has superior VRMs...

Debating, and loosely at that, returning my Tomahawk for a Pro Carbon B350, VRMs go over 100c... If the board dies I'm not really concerned however the Pro Carbon has superior VRMs...

That's pretty toasty, but iirc their rated @ 125ºC?
Ether way your right about the Pro Carbon.

EDIT: Have you tried any spot fans on them?

That's pretty toasty, but iirc their rated @ 125ºC?
Ether way your right about the Pro Carbon.

EDIT: Have you tried any spot fans on them?

I'm not sure what these VRMs are rated at, I'm more worried whats surrounding them failing, I know the VRM setup on the Pro Carbons are superior, and it also comes with ALC1220..

Trying to push further, ie 1.45v I'm seeing vdroop now as well, I'm sure they weren't counting on it being pushed this hard.

I haven't tried the 40mm fan trick as of yet.

I'm not sure what these VRMs are rated at, I'm more worried whats surrounding them failing, I know the VRM setup on the Pro Carbons are superior, and it also comes with ALC1220..

Trying to push further, ie 1.45v I'm seeing vdroop now as well, I'm sure they weren't counting on it being pushed this hard.

I haven't tried the 40mm fan trick as of yet.

Roger that, I haven't seen many people with the Tomahawk as it was a later edition to the line up.
But if your looking for better audio and VRM's, the Pro Carbon is a good choice, my best friend has one paired with a 1700X and raves about it.
If it was me, I would still try the ghetto mods for shit's and giggles.

You guys might find this interesting. A b350 vrm rundown.

TL;DW

Almost all b350 boards are garbage but two are surprisingly good. MSI Pro Carbon and Krait. Decent VRM that are well cooled, maxing out Ryzens should not be a problem with those. Other MSI boards are crap, that includes the Tomahawk that was asked above. Asus Prime Plus is also okay and can overclock somewhat, as is Asrocks better b350 model which name escapes me ATM. All the rest, that includes the whole Gigabyte lineup, is a big no no.

Back