Ryzen 5000 with ddr4 3000 on x470

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this real quick. I won a newegg lottery and now have a 5600x to replace my 2700x. It is going into a x470 with a 500 capable BIOS. I have DDR4 3000 RAM in the system and didnt want to swap for 3600 since prices really suck right now. I couldnt find much about running slower ram on 5000 series online. Do you all think it would have too much of a negative impact? A friend of mine has a 3800xt and she will probably swap for my 5600x if I wanted.

Faster ram is always better but as a bandaid you can always separate the memory speed and infinity fabric speed. When you have fast ram (3400mhz+) then having those 1:1 synchronised gives best for performance but if your ram is slow then jacking up the IF speed to the max that your CPU can do without crashing gives the best performance.

Also look into overclocking your ram. If the kit is an old DDR4 then it won't go much beyond 3000 but if it is relatively new and it happens to have Micron E die or Samsung B-die chips or such inside then you just might have a ton of OC room. No need to buy new ram in that case. If there is no OC room then do the trick above and tighten the timings as tight as you can and is reliable. If will be fine.

That’s like strangling a hooker on Saturday night instead of banging her.

Throw in 3600 sticks or overclock the living snot out of your 3000 snatch.

You'll be fine with DDR4-3000, you won't have the absolute *best* framerates but it will be such a huge increase from the 2700x that it won't matter that you're 2-3% slower than the theoretical max.

I just checked MSI and they have a 5000 series bios there for my x470 Gaming Pro (non -max) already .

I can't overclock the ram.............. I bought the 2700x when it was new and RAM sucked back then. It is overvolted just to reach 1500MHz. TheSlySyl is right though, it is so much faster with the 5600x that I don't care about the ram. It works and I can mine and game at the same time and it is wonderful!

I used the awesome hsf from the 2700x and it doesnt even get warm when 100% load. Like, the thing is cold lol.

You are fine with 3000. It is not worth the expense to upgrade. One thing you can try is rma the memory of you have to pump voltage that is above spec to get it stable for the rated speed. You might get a newer better set.

I used the awesome hsf from the 2700x and it doesnt even get warm when 100% load. Like, the thing is cold lol.
I have a B550 board already but .. when I seen the bios for my x470 then I be thinking of pulling the 3700x and using that cooler on the x5600 when it gets here and nice to know RGB can stay and how it's performing for you .

I can't overclock the ram.............. I bought the 2700x when it was new and RAM sucked back then. It is overvolted just to reach 1500MHz. TheSlySyl is right though, it is so much faster with the 5600x that I don't care about the ram. It works and I can mine and game at the same time and it is wonderful!
Why can't you overclock the RAM? Drop the timing, raise the clock. It probably won't do the advertised timings at higher clocks, sure, but lowering the timings should allow higher MHz. My understanding is that ram speed is more important to Ryzen than timings.
Also, the memory controller is better on Zen3. I had RAM that would not reach advertised 3600MHz on a Zen+ based 3400G, but would work just fine with a Zen2 3900X at that speed.

Why can't you overclock the RAM? Drop the timing, raise the clock. It probably won't do the advertised timings at higher clocks, sure, but lowering the timings should allow higher MHz. My understanding is that ram speed is more important to Ryzen than timings.
Also, the memory controller is better on Zen3. I had RAM that would not reach advertised 3600MHz on a Zen+ based 3400G, but would work just fine with a Zen2 3900X at that speed.
Thank you that is a very good point. I'll start to play with it some.

Newer Ryzens are less dependent on fast RAM to get maximum performance.

Faster RAM will still benefit newer Ryzens, but it won't be that much like it did especially during Gen1/2 Ryzen

Back